4.5 Month Doc visit and a new temptation and a ??

Feystorm
on 7/26/12 11:19 am, edited 7/26/12 11:27 am - CA
VSG on 03/14/12
 Saw my doc this morning for a checkup.  I would have gone at 3 months - but due to long issues, it was pushed out til now.  He is very happy with my progress.  He thinks that I should have no problem reaching goal before I meet him again in 4 months.  My labs came back normal and everything is A-OK.  I am still having vomiting issues with my chewable vitamins from Bariatric Advantage.  He said to stay on the gummies until I can tolerate them.  It may take a long time - he's not too worried as long as my labs stay on track.  I spoke to the NUT by phone - she called in cuz she was out at her own appt and couldn't make my follow up (how nice is that?).  Next I met with the social worker.  I really like the all around program at my surgeon's office.  It was a good visit.  I left feeling pretty good and maybe a teensy bit anxious - only because I have creeping, lingering, fat girl doubts about ever really reaching goal. 

Now for the temptation(s).  I love my iced coffee, absolutely LOVE it.  I can't drive very far without getting lost - unless it is to locate a starbucks!  I also didn't like soy milk before - but tried it the other day for the first time when they were out of nonfat at the grocery store's starbucks.  Surprisingly, I LIKE it.  A lot.  Now to add to my iced coffee addiction - I like it better than nonfat milk so I want it even more due to getting the soy and having it be less calories.  lol.

The not so good temptation (in my eyes): Luna Lemon Zest nutrition bars.  I don't like protein bars, can't find one that I can really tolerate.  Someone at work asked me if I had tried these.  Higher in carbs than I like - and not the best in protein, but it was ok.  9g I think.  But oh my, the Lemon Zest ones are toooooo good.  I had half as my snack at work, and just ate the other half here at home.  holy crap - I can't buy these in bulk as I can already see myself eating the whole freaking box - they were that good.  I think I need to look for a healthier Lemon flavored protein bar.  Apparently my love of lemon still exists.  

Also - a question.  Has anyone had any experience with muscle relaxers/pain meds causing a stall?  Since I started on my meds, I am still going down, but just soooooo slowly.  and I bounce around more and more than ever before in the scales. Any experience with that?

Here's hoping that I can resist some temptations and continue on my path to goal!
~Angi

HW:242 Start of Preop Diet:  217  SW:200 CW:116.8 GW: 115;  SOCAL MEETUPS GROUP!:  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/socalhallo2012/    

gabriellaz
on 7/26/12 11:45 am - CA
VSG on 07/02/12
Before surgery I found Luna bars at The Dollar Tree. I tried the Lemon bar it was good, but the one I really liked was the one called Nuts over Chocolate... Mmmm Congrats on rockin your sleeve.

Shagdoll
on 7/26/12 12:05 pm
Gurl I think you are doing pretty darn amazing so far, I even told you that when I met you on Saturday. I think at this rate you will reach goal in 4 months. WHOO Hoo!

Jenn  

WWBD?  

Feystorm
on 7/26/12 3:01 pm - CA
VSG on 03/14/12
 Thanks Jenn  -  you are amazing girl.  We need to get together again - for COFFEE!!!  lol

HW:242 Start of Preop Diet:  217  SW:200 CW:116.8 GW: 115;  SOCAL MEETUPS GROUP!:  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/socalhallo2012/    

Marie M.
on 7/26/12 12:31 pm - PA
Angi,
First of all, congrats on your weight loss!  Way to go!

As to protein bars--I have quickly come to realize that they are LETHAL to me.  I absolutely love the Atkins Advantage chocolate and peanut butter protein bar--Cal: 240 Carb:22 Protein:19.  The protein is good, but the calories and carbs are too high for me. To me, they taste like candy bars and I find myself craving them.  I have to stop buying/eating them or they're gonna get me in trouble!

Age: 50    Ht: 5' 3.5"    SW: 261   BMI: 45.5    CW: 119.4   BMI: 20.8   Goal in 9.5 months   (23.6  lbs below goal)   Total lost:  141.6 lbs   Inches lost:  84.25"
  Month one: 22.2 lbs;  Month 2:  17.4 lbs;   Month 3: 11 lbs;  Month 4: 13 lbs;  Month 5: 11.4 lbs;  Month 6: 9.2 lbs;   Month 7: 13.2 lbs;  Month 8: 9 lbs;  Month 9: 10.2 lbs;   Month 10:  3.6 lbs:   Month 11:   7.6 lbs   Month 12:  5.8 lbs                                    

Feystorm
on 7/26/12 3:02 pm - CA
VSG on 03/14/12
 Thanks!  This is the first bar I have tried in months - and I am glad I just bought the single bar.  lol.  I love lemon - and it was too much like a desert for me to keep buying :P

twotontunic
on 7/26/12 2:04 pm - Nashville, TN
VSG on 10/08/12
 I would recommend looking into Quest protein bars.  They have about 5 ingredients total and are good enough to eat but not so good they are candy-like.  I really like the chocolate one heated in the microwave about 15 seconds.  It's like a brownie.  They also have lemon pie, peanut butter and jelly and lots of other flavors as well.  The Vitamin Shoppe carries them but I find it easier to order them from the Quest website because there is no Vitamin Shoppe nearby me.  The carbs are high in the Quest bars but the fiber content helps balance that a bit.
Feystorm
on 7/26/12 3:03 pm - CA
VSG on 03/14/12
 I think I will try the Lemon one - I know they have Quest bars at my favorite low carb shoppe - I just walked by them so will have to stop and look. Thanks!

loverofcats
on 7/26/12 2:27 pm
 Congratulations on your weight loss!!! You are doing great!!!

As far as pain meds/muscle relaxants slowing weight loss, it is entirely possible. But, after the first few months, it is normal for the weight loss to slow down, especially when you are getting closer to your goal. I think by month 4, I was losing about 1.5 lbs/week.

Luna Bars, I loved them pre-op and I also love lemon, but post-op, the nutrition stats are not that great. Most protein bars are like glorified candy bars. I really have to watch myself with them. Check out NuGo Slim bars, 15 grams of protein, 2 grams of sugar, 7 grams of fiber, and 19 grams of carbs. Calorie range is 170-190 and they come in three flavors. I found them at Whole Foods.

I really believe that the less one can rely on protein bars, the faster the weight loss will be. They are great for emergency situations, but not on a regular basis. I found this out the hard way. Lean dense protein with some veggies is more weight loss friendly and your body has to work harder to digest the protein i.e. burn more calories.

Congrats again on good labs and a great weight loss so far!!!

Is the soy milk regular or unsweetened? It makes a difference, calorie and fat wise. Are you using it, as a splash or an entire cup?

Gail

"          
 LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

Feystorm
on 7/26/12 3:05 pm - CA
VSG on 03/14/12
 Thanks for the recommendations.  I will have to check those bars out at Whole Foods.  
I don't normally eat them, this was the first bar I have had in months.  I never liked them before.  lol.  This one I realize that I like too much - it is not something for me to have again.  

The soy milk is regular.  I track everything.  Starbucks is good at letting you see nutritional info and giving you the amounts if you ask.  At least they have been to me.  :)

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 102 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 326 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 370 views