Happy with your Sleeve?

Ckoch77
on 8/3/12 11:09 pm - Mankato, MN
Hello everyone!

When I first joined OH, my surgeon OK'd me for RNY but as I approach my surgery date of September 4th, 2012, he has switched me to a Sleeve. I am a little disappointed because I had done all of my research and put my focus into the RNY.

Does any have any advice or personal information regarding the Sleeve? I am currently researching it more but would like to hear from anyone whos been through the Sleeve experience!

Ms. Poker Face
on 8/3/12 11:21 pm
My advice is that you get the surgery you really want or you find a new surgeon. This is your choice as the patient, with input from medical teams, not solely your surgeon's choice. Review all the pros and cons and pick the one YOU want.

That being said, I love my sleeve. The RNY was never something I wanted for a variety of personal reasons. I would do my sleeve all over again, no question!!

5'5"    Goal reached, but fighting regain.  Back to Basics.
Start Weight 246    Goal Weight 160    Current Weight 183

Starting size: 22, 2x
Current size: 12, L

full-of-hopen
on 8/3/12 11:23 pm
see earlier post from Katie M and response from USAF wife...lots of great info
frisco
on 8/3/12 11:36 pm

Continue your research........

But you may have someone watching over you..........

Retaining your Pyloric Valve makes life a lot easier......

You will have a normally functioning stomach and digestive system, just with far less capacity......

I'm coming up on 3 years and almost 2 years at a stable goal weight of 148lbs.

Here is my 2 year post:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/vsg/4455909/Frisco-2-Years-Long-Post-Pics-and-Swagger/

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

bedazzle
on 8/3/12 11:38 pm
VSG on 04/26/12
I love me sleeve as you will find most of us do. As people are saying this is your surgery and your body you do what you want. If you love your doctor, talk to him. You are in charge of your medical experience.

George57
on 8/3/12 11:53 pm, edited 8/3/12 11:53 pm
I talked with the Suregon yesterday.  She recommended the bypass, but I elected the Sleeve.  I was told that the average difference for weight loss (comparing the two surgeries)  for someone at my weight would only be about 13 lbs.  I didn't want to deal with the dumping syndrome (possibly for the rest of my life).  The sleeve appears to provide a lot of the same benefits without some of the negatives that a bypass presents.
Pkrplyr777
on 8/4/12 12:30 am - CT

I second all of the above sleevers posts.
I love my sleeve...just love it.
If you work with it, it will change your world.
donna

HW/233 *  SW/212 * CW/133 *GW/132 * 100 Pounds of FAT gone FOREVER!

Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple~Dr.Suess            
happyteacher
on 8/4/12 1:20 am
 Advantages:
- we can take all of our meds
-no malabsorption
-stomach works exactly the same, just smaller
-no pouch, no food getting stuck
-no rerouting of intenstines
-90% or so of us do not get dumping, but there is a little for some of us
-weight loss is similar to rny
- if need be we can be revised to rny or ds 
-easier surgery and recovery back to work in 2 weeks, out shopping in 3 days
-minimal regain- I read somewhere that average regain is between 5%-10%
-we lose our weight without malabsorption, with rny you eat the calories but malaboprtion aids weightloss... what happens when malabsoprtion stops working and you are still eating cals?
-the hormone ghrelin is vastly eliminated (hunger hormone)  
-pyloric valve is intact

Disadvantages:
-some have acid issues, foamies, or vomiting... I have no side effects
-leaks are possible (same as rny)
-you eat small amounts, which can be awkward in social settings
-you should take a multivitamin daily (twice a day for me at the moment)

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

olderbutwiser
on 8/4/12 2:17 am
 I agree with all the posts above -- especially Frisco's comments about the pyloric valve.  But do what you think is best for you.

hmtaylor76
on 8/4/12 2:37 am
VSG on 06/25/12
When I researched I planned on having the RNY because that was the one I had heard about the most, then when I went to the seminar I liked the surgeons description of the sleeve. When I went to see him, I said if I was your kid what would you tell me to do? He said the sleeve, especially having young kids, I would still have a "normal"eating life, just less of it. I trusted him, so that is what I did, best thing for me ever!!

Best of luck, it is your choice, you are the one that has to live with it!!

Heather    

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 101 views