Any help is appreciated!!!!

Joeyb278
on 8/6/12 12:48 pm - Houston, TX
VSG on 08/13/12
Hi I'm very new to this site but I'm glad I found it. I'm scheduled for VSG surgery on 8/13/2012. Now that its around the corner I am very nervous and starting to think twice about it. I have been trying to research as much as I can, but I would love any advise or peoples experiences that would make me feel better. I'm on day 2 of the pre op liquid diet and not to sure what is ok and not ok to eat or drink. Thanx
Missey J.
on 8/6/12 2:11 pm, edited 8/6/12 2:11 pm - AZ
VSG on 08/27/12
If your not sure what to drink call your doctors office and find out what their plan is for you. Every doctor does things differently.

Age 53, 5'2", HW 337, Pre OpW 312.5, SW ?, CW 286        
moonglo82
on 8/6/12 2:16 pm
VSG on 03/29/12
Welcome!

As much as we would love to be able to answer your question about the preop diet, you really do need to call your doctor's office or your nutritionist and ask them. Every medical team on the planet seems to have their own preferred preop diet, so there's really no way anyone on here can help you with that.

As far as getting nervous, it's perfectly normal. It's great that you're researching everything. Make sure you know exactly what you're getting into, because this is permanent.

Having said that, as long as you DO understand what you're doing, trust your surgeon, and are ready to make the change, cold feet are still completely normal, and you need to just go for it. IF all of those things are true.

Keep reading here and posting as you have more questions. You'll find lots of information by posting threads here and by using the search function at the top of the page

Highest weight: 277 Starting Weight: 250  Surgery Weight: 241  Current Weight: 130

Goal Reached in 10.5 months :)

duck1975
on 8/6/12 7:51 pm - MI
VSG on 08/28/12
 Well I was in your shoes in May!! I was set to have surgery on May 21 and cancelled 5 days before, mainly because I wanted to make sure I was making the right decision.  I feel more confident now than before. Goodluck, if you have to take more time to make sure this is right for you, do it! I am not second guessing myself this time!

Pobearsam7
on 8/6/12 7:51 pm
I agree w/ everyone else... You don't want to be misguided

Kelly                

(deactivated member)
on 8/6/12 9:45 pm
 Be sure.  Then go for it flat out. 

I have anxiety problems anyhow and the final days pre op were tough. The morning of surgery I hardly talked to anyone.  Once my stuff was packed I paced circles around my driveway.  But I got through it and you can too.  I want to make my goal.  That said I felt so much better after losing 60 pounds I have to say that if I at least stay under 200 the rest of my life it was well worth it.
anninva
on 8/6/12 11:37 pm - Arlington, VA
VSG on 01/10/11 with
defintely have a think about it BUT also this is a pretty standard response to taking a big step.  i hated the liquid diet (protein drinks made me feel YUCK) but it's over soon encough.  definitely call the doc's office to find out what it's okay to drink.

i was particularly freaked out the week of the surgery, feeling ashamed that i couldn't have done it by using WW, which i had been trying for years, Jenny, anything.  and i cried A LOT.  but i just muddled through and i've never looked back!

good luck and sendng big ((((((hugs)))))).  PM me if i can answer any other questions!

Ann             LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat           

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

mauigirl2
on 8/7/12 3:33 am - kihei, HI
I was also scared to death a week out, my Dr. gave me something to take to relieve the anxiety.  It worked great and I am soooooo glad I had the surgery.  What a life changer!

PrettyEyes_41
on 8/7/12 3:43 am - MS
VSG on 06/12/12
My doctor, who's done over 1400 VSG's, had me on a full liquid diet for the first week that was any strained cream soups and anything I wanted to drink plus lite yogurt and sf pudding. Then the 2nd week was clear liquids. If you couldn't see through it you couldn't drink it. After surgery is 5 days clear liquids, 2 weeks full liquids, 2 weeks purees, 2 weeks soft and then regular after that. Like everyone says each dr is different and has their own preferences by what works best in their opinions. You can go back and read, read, read before your surgery and get all the advice in the world on this site but it's like anything else, you have to decide what is right for you by what your dr recommends.

Gale     Age: 55, Height: 5' 5.5", HW: 236, SW: 210, 1st GW: 150.  Surgery BMI: 39.3  Extremely HBP, High Cholesterol & borderline diabetic.      

barnettvsg
on 8/7/12 3:49 am
 I had VSG on July 16 and I'm feeling great everything went perfectly - in general I would describe the process as much easier than I imagined and now that I'm starting to enjoy some results I'm really excited about the next year and the impact this decision will have on me.  That said, you definitely need to be ok with  your decision, I personally found forums and video testimonials very helpful in my decision.  In fact I decided to make my own - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLF12D878F18EC17B0

regarding the pre-op diet, mine was not liquid only, but I do think that each surgeon has a different one...we did an extremely low carb, meal replacement diet primarily to shrink your liver to help minimize any potential impact to an easy procedure.  You should talk to your surgeon about the diet if you are concerned.

good luck and hang in there - you can do it.

B
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 81 views