Being OK without PS

hrford
on 8/13/12 9:10 am
VSG on 03/19/12
I look like a melting candle.  This is what I get for commenting to someone that I was surprised at how well my skin was holding up about 2 weeks ago.  I guess karma is a *****  I don't know but the last 5 lbs have REALLY taken it's toll on my body.  I'm embarressed when I look in the mirror.  It holds up ok with a "sucker inner" and clothes but naked it's just darned scary.  

There is just no way I can afford plastics this year.  Maybe next year but probably not.  So how do you accept that this is the new you?  I know there's nothing I can do about it but accept but I'm having a really hard time with it.  Mentally I know that hanging skin is so much better than fat, but it makes me feel ugly, more ugly than when I was fat. Has anyone had luck coming up with a way to deal other than plastics?

HW: 270 SW: 234.4 CW: 135.0 1stGW:149 (GOAL MET)afreshstart-hreneeh.blogspot.com/
1st 5k: 5/12/12 44:55  PR 4miles: 12/31/2012 35:49

loverofcats
on 8/13/12 9:21 am

Well, I am almost two years out and I am older than you, so my skin didn't rebound very much. I will say, that weight training has definitely helped and over time, there has been some redistribution of fat and skin, but the loose skin is still there. Since I work out a lot, especially with weight training, lately I have been feeling more discouraged, because I know that I have some abs underneath my deflated stomach, but I can't see them. I am getting closer to the decision to have plastics. It is a big financial and emotional step.

I keep telling myself, that I would rather have the loose skin than be a 100 lbs heavier and in ill health. Some days are better than others. I emphasize with you.

Gail

"          
 LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

Shagdoll
on 8/13/12 9:24 am
Why is this my fear of losing more weight? I hate to admit it but it's true. I've heard from a few people that the last 15-20 pounds can take a toll on your body. I felt like the last couple of months I have been holding back on losing more weight. Maybe it was just an excuse for me to eat a little more "normal" but I do worry what I will look like if I lose more weight. I have heard some of our elasticity comes back after a year but still. I don't know what to do.
I'm just trying to exercise & tone but I know it can only do so much if any.

Jenn  

WWBD?  

Diane W.
on 8/13/12 9:32 am
This is one of my fears as well! But I guess I would rather deal with some hanging belly skin than stay as I am and risk all types of health problems. Hopefully with working out as I am I will assist the skin in tightening up but, as was said I am sure there will be some and I will just have to deal with it! My S.O. is fine with me now. I did have the talk with him about the skin issues after weight loss and again he said he is fine with me as I am and will be fine with my "hanging skin". Thank God he has been supportive. And to think I was originally worried about even telling him that I wanted to do this surgery. Guess he does love ME afterall....
RockinMama
on 8/13/12 9:46 am - Cordele, GA
VSG on 07/09/12
Well, all I can say is....THANK GOD FOR CLOTHES and do it with the lights off!!
  5'7 CW:  306 SW: 300        
(deactivated member)
on 8/13/12 2:56 am, edited 8/13/12 4:28 am
Okay ladies, I can empathize with you, really I can! I have loose skin around my middle and sagging back skin where my love handles used to be and my ass hangs half way to my knees. When I bend over in the shower my skin hangs like cow udders from my belly. Really kind of gross....

That said.... get over it! Everyone tells us that loose skin is a possibility after major weightloss. I think we all just hope it won't be us. Yes, it sucks, but I'm sorry, being fat sucked a hell of a lot more! I could not hide my fatness behind spanx or clothes. My hanging skin I can hide.

Here's my theory on the whole naked thing: HOPEFULLY, you're only getting naked with people you love and trust. While loose skin may not be appealing, no one is perfect. I know my partner would much rather have a healthy me with loose skin than an obese, unhealthy me with taught skin.

I would love to have plastics - especially because I work out so hard and I'd love to see the six pack underneath this belly skin. I can feel it. It's there. I am choosing to wait for a couple of reasons: My PS said to give it a full year after getting to maintenance, so I am. (He thinks I have some skin rebound left in me!) 2, it's EXPENSIVE!!!!!! I may have an opportunity to go to Europe next summer and if that happens, no plastics for at least another year.

I believe we must make the best of what we have. Look at what we've done for ourselves already. Stand up. Be proud - loose skin and all! I'd rather face everyday with my drapey belly skin and saggy ass than with a big fat belly, double chin and fat face, high BP, sleep apnea, high cholesterol, sore joints, the lack of mobility, the shortness of breath and the shame I felt that came from being obese.

Heck, in one way I hate my loose skin, but it is a badge of honor I wear with pride everyday. It is a daily reminder at how far I've come and how hard I've worked and what I was willing to do to get here.
Shagdoll
on 8/13/12 4:01 am, edited 8/13/12 4:02 am
You always put it in perspective for me even if it comes with some b**** slapping!  Gotta luv you for that!!!

Jenn  

WWBD?  

emelar
on 8/13/12 10:13 am - TX
When you figure out how to accept it, drop me a line and let me know.  I didn't have the sleeve expecting to have plastics done, but it's in my future - like in January.  The weight training has helped.  But no amount of exercise is going to repair my stomach muscles or make what's left of the hanging skin spring back.  And I just don't like it.  So, I've been doing consults with plastic surgeons to choose one and figure out what I want done and in what order.  Blah!
diane S.
on 8/13/12 10:16 am
Kairik has it right. I too have loose skin in all sorts of places. not so bad it creates medical issues but i look pretty bad in a bathing suit even if it is a size 6.   But I am 60 years old and being fat for so long I guess i just got over fretting about my looks. Now at least I can look good in a slim fitting pair of jeans and can buy all the cool stuff I could never wear before.  And I am lucky to live in a cool climate where I never need to wear shorts or a tank top. 

While I would love plastics, I think the only thing i might do is a face lift since wrinkle appeared when my fat face shrunk. every old lady deserves one. but on the rest of me, it would take so many procedures to get it all together that I just don't think its worth the effort or expense. I don't want the down time recovering from surgery. too busy having fun living life without that extra 125 lbs.

Overweight people are accustomed to hating their bodies. Its time to learn not to hate your body and accept it with its imperfections. hating your body is kind of like hating yourself. not a good place to be. better to stop looking so much at those saggy thighs (mine are major pieces of drapery) and think about how great it is to be healthier now and have that weight gone and wear some trim pants and cool boots or whatever you like. take good care of your skin on face and hands and look your best with hair, make up and clothes if you like. Try to focus on those things you can do and forget about the saggy skin.  Reminds me, gotta go pick up some hair dye to cover grey.  Enjoy life thin and don't let skin spoil it for you.    Diane

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 178 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 451 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 475 views