Advice needed - calling surgeon office

Sheryl G.
on 8/14/12 7:02 pm - IL
VSG on 09/17/12
Everything my surgeon required before submitting to insurance was provided by me to the "Center" on July 23. After email and phone call, the "Center" tells me on 7/31 that they had just sent my chart to the surgeon's office to be submitted to insurance and that I could call Utilization Management around 8/16 to check on status because it can take up to 30 days for insurance to approve (BCBS of IL). I waited a little over a week (I'm just too anxious to sit and do nothing!) and then contacted BCBS. I was told they have not received anything from the surgeon. I call BCBS every day now. Still nothing received. I'm a little ticked off that my "chart" is just sitting on someone's desk while my life is somewhat on hold waiting to schedule work etc around a surgery date and try to get at least a 3-month followup in before end of 2012 benefit year.
I plan to wait until 8/16 (Thursday) and then call Util Mgmt (after once again checking with BCBS). My question is, if still nothing has been submitted to insurance, do I play nice and continue to be patient, or do I be a you-know-what? I work in a medical office, and so I am aware of the demands there, but I also know that customer service is always priority number 1 as patients still have a choice on where to go for healthcare. I have a choice. I don't have to stay with this surgeon. Changing will probably delay, but I'm thinking about looking into that. Has anyone ever switched last minute before?

AnnieinIA
on 8/14/12 7:20 pm
I am sort of what I would call in the middle of switching surgeons (and hospitals) and I did it within day's of my file being submitted to insurance. I don't have my approval yet but I think it will have caused a couple of weeks delay. If you feel you should switch - I say do it.
grannymedic1
on 8/14/12 7:24 pm - Lake Odessa, MI
Revision on 08/21/12
I would ask them nicely if there is anything you could do to expidite the process. Let them know that you are working against a time limit. My experience has been that if you treat them with respect they will be more likely to move quicker. I know it is frustrating but either you schmooze a little or change surgeons and accept that delay.

The other thing is that unless your insurance plan excludes wls, BC/BS has changed and normally does not require prior approval. Check on it.

Highest weight: 212.8 Current weight 135 Lost 77.8 pounds

Sheryl G.
on 8/14/12 7:35 pm - IL
VSG on 09/17/12
I tend to agree that you catch more bees with honey, so I will start out nice. This is just so darn important to me. So I will stay patient a little longer. I will, however, switch if that is what my gutt tells me to do.
My insurance, BCBS of IL, does require prior approval, but thanks for thinking of that Granny. I have their entire policy printed out and in a binder, and I think I could quite possibly recite every requirement, lol! You know how that is, right?!

Thanks for letting me just get this off my chest - I don't know anyone who has had WLS before and so I really have no one to talk to about this. That's why I love this place!

vogue
on 8/15/12 6:58 am
VSG on 08/30/12
I called my surgeon's office DAILY>.. I know it made me the PITA but it seemed to be the only way to get things done

EVERY hospital has a patient advocate...call that person/department to get some help
sunnymicki
on 8/15/12 9:03 am
Honestly, I'd be calling the surgeon's office right now.  You don't need to be mean, but shoot, they took an entire week just to put the file on the surgeon's desk (or in his office, whatever) and now its been two weeks, and nothing has been done with it?  You've been plenty patient.  Let them know you are paying attention.

My surgeon's patient coordinator literally submitted my packet to insurance the DAY she got back the last piece of documentation she needed from the psych eval.  And she kept me in the loop while she was waiting for that piece to come in.  And then, SHE called the insurance company herself after three days to find out that I had been approved - she said because she didn't think it needed to take an entire week.  I only tell you that to illustrate what kind of customer service is possible.

You are right - you do have a choice about where you go for your surgery.  I would be afraid that poor customer service pre-op is indicative of the office culture/mindset, and would worry about having trouble with the staff post-op as well.  So call them, and give them a chance to prove that they do know how to make things happen for you!

5'9" All weight lost post-op. Goal weight determined by body composition testing.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 93 views