Revision Surgery suggested

thehellcat
on 8/15/12 9:26 pm
Hi all.
I was banded 8/10/2009, and have lost over 75 pounds.
I started having heartburn and reflux issues at the end of April.
Now? I have had all the liquid taken out of my band and two fluroscopies later, I still have a slipped band.
I am on liquids and purees until further notice.
My insurance now is different that when I got the band and has an exclusion regarding weight loss surgery.
It is medically necessary to remove my band, however I want to have the sleeve done at the same time.
What kind of payment options or help can I find? I am not looking at Care Credit, or a credit card.
I am one payment away from paying for my car, so I will be able to make a monthly payment.
Thanks for the help.
Greg M.
on 8/16/12 12:16 am - Cincinnati, OH
I had my band removed after two slips.  I waited for two years before having my sleeve.  I did very well the first year on my own.  I had developed good habits and still felt restriction from the scar tissue around my stomach ( I think ) or my stomach had just shrunk. 

Consider having the insurance pay for removing the band, take some time to heal and start a fund for your sleeve surgery. 

I'll tell you this...I love my sleeve but it's more subtle than the band as far as getting full.  With the band I felt like I hit a brick wall when I was full and it's NOT that way with the sleeve. 

I put my sleeve surgery on our home equity line of credit, it was $15,000 - the price of a used car. 

Good luck with your decision!

Greg

Lapband 12/11/08 - Slip 6/16/09 - 2nd Slip & Removal 8/3/09...Sleeve 12/22/11

Bf516
on 8/16/12 5:59 am
I am a band to sleeve revision due to slippage... scheduled for sept. 6th.

As for payment, sorry I can't help ya.. My insurance covers my revision.
I would look into starting a fund or perhaps talking to your surgeon about payments.

I have heard of some people bringing in a down payment, then making monthly payments. Charity Care at the hospital may even give you a discount since you're self pay.

Good luck!
USAF Wife
on 8/16/12 6:06 am
I'd check with credit unions. 90% of the time the interest rate will be far less than the credit card unless you can get a promo of 0-2% for those, but credit unions offer personal loans with low interest rates.
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

bagelface
on 8/16/12 6:11 am
VSG on 08/22/12
I think I would start by talking to the surgeon who is going to take your band out.  See if you can self pay for just the sleeve portion of the surgery.   That may be the most cost effective awe to go.  I think I have heard of others on here that have gone that route.  Good luck with your revision.  
melly37
on 8/16/12 6:40 am - Rio Rancho, NM
VSG on 04/03/12
I agree with bagelface....all of the costs except for the expert surgical cutting of the stomach will be covered by insurance.  If you are going to pay cash (by way of credit) then you can probably negotiate a pretty fair price.  Good luck!!  I am a revision from the band, as well!

LapBand Surgery 01/10/08, Revison to Sleeve 04/03/12

reneemosley
on 8/16/12 10:24 am - WA
VSG on 05/21/12
I was banded 5/11/2006 and after one year my band was "broken" and unfillable. I was devistated and thought I would live with that thing forever. When I finally got serious about doing VSG I was determined and sold everything I had from gold scrap to my beloved 68 Mustang to pay for it. I have no regrets AT ALL, and I loved that car my life revolves around cars. My sleeve is way more valuable to me than any of the things I sold.
I guess what I'm trying to say do whatever you need to to get the surgery, you will be happy you did. Your quality of life wil improve alot.

Band 5/2006          Revision to VSG 5/2012

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 272 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 329 views