higher liver values?

tillmadd
on 8/16/12 1:15 pm - WI
 Has any sleevers experienced any high ALT/SGPT liver values? Normal range is lower than 50 and mine is 71. My doc told me to stop my statin meds. Could this be from a high protein diet? I am going to see doc tmrw. Anyone experienced this in their bloodwork?
HW 314    SW 297 Thanks for the season Packers! 15-2!!
**CW 234 month 1-23 month 2-14 month 3-13 month 4-11 

kamehanaokala
on 8/16/12 1:27 pm - HI

I'm not familiar with what statin meds do for you but....in my honest opinion, I can say for certain that your liver is probably much happier now vs. pre-op. Your numbers may be just off because of the meds. After my surgery my doc said my liver was "fatty" and he did a biopsy on it. Probably due to my poor diet prior.....

Hope things clear up soon for you!

moonglo82
on 8/16/12 1:34 pm
VSG on 03/29/12
My liver enzymes were elevated in my first round of postop blood work. Not sure if that's what you're talking about or not...

When I told my surgeon about it, he said not to worry about it because that can be a residual side effect of having major surgery, and that I should just keep an eye on it with my next labs. Did my second set of labs yesterday, so I'll know some time next week how I'm doing.

Highest weight: 277 Starting Weight: 250  Surgery Weight: 241  Current Weight: 130

Goal Reached in 10.5 months :)

Jrsygrlntx
on 8/16/12 1:41 pm - Allen, TX
VSG on 07/23/12
I had the same thing, and my doctor said not to worry about it.  She thought it was the shock from having surgery which caused it and that my levels will drop as the pounds fall off.

tracey6692
on 8/16/12 1:39 pm
VSG on 08/02/12
Do you still have your gallbladder?  I am not a medical expert, but that is usually one of the signs that your gallbladder might have to be removed. Which is common from loosing a large amount of weight.
rhearob
on 8/16/12 2:39 pm - TN
 I was told thats normal in WLS patients.  Basically, our livers do all the work of breaking down fat and processing it.  Thats why the liver enzymes go quite high.  My PCP reviewed my labs from my surgeon with me and told me that he wouldn't even raise an eyebrow until they were at 2x the normal limit.

If you have concerns, talk to your surgeon about it or your PCP.  They know your full health history and can give you a much more specific answer.

VSG: 11/2/2011; LBL+Thigh Lift+BL: 10/3/2012; Brach+Mastopexy:  7/22/2013

RW76
on 8/16/12 3:40 pm - Medina, OH
Yep...  

My ALT at my first post op blood draw was 60, it went to 66 10 months post op and last time I had it checked it was 56 at 14 months post op.   I'm due again for blood next week and will see how it's doing but my Doctor was happy it was going back down.

My alkaline phosphatse (ALP) and AST were high as well. The AST has now returned to normal but the ALP is still a tad high but is now starting to lower.

Pre Op: 415  SW: 390  Goal: 235 CW: 225

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 69 views