Vacation that doesn't revolve around food or alcohol?

blessedbutlers
on 8/19/12 5:05 pm - TX
My husband & I are going to take an extra day to relax and recover in San Antonio after my surgery.  We often visit there.  BUT, our trips revolve around the kids & food!  Seriously, what in the world do can we do in a place like this?  River walk is all about the FOOD & ALCOHOL!  Can't be too physical since it will be a few days post-op.  Any suggestions?
moonglo82
on 8/19/12 5:12 pm
VSG on 03/29/12
Honestly, my vote would be to plan to relax around the hotel as much as possible. You're going to be tired and sore, and you'll want to get up and move around some, but probably not in a setting where you pretty much have to walk around all day.

When is your surgery?

Highest weight: 277 Starting Weight: 250  Surgery Weight: 241  Current Weight: 130

Goal Reached in 10.5 months :)

blessedbutlers
on 8/19/12 5:19 pm - TX
 I have had 3 c-sections so I am hoping I will tolerate the pain the same.  Plus, I hear walking is good in moderation.  Maybe a boat ride on the river.  Always wanted to do the dinner boat ride.....but it's Mexican and in large quantities.  So that will no longer really be an option.  
juddfan1974
on 8/19/12 5:30 pm - TN
VSG on 07/02/12
I have never had a c-section obviously, but I have to agree I dont think you will be up for that much walking.  You are correct that walking is good for you and you need to start walking early, but a week post op you will probably only be able to walk a block or so comfortably.  Maybe you could take some guided tours of the city via bus.  You might be up to doing a riverboat tour that doesnt serve food if you dont have to walk too far to get to the boat.  Also be careful getting in and out of the boat.  You wouldnt want to fall.  I was moderately active before my surgery which was on July 2nd, but after surgery it was at least two weeks before i was comfortable going out for any period of time and even then I was exhausted after only being out for an hour or two.

Elaine2
on 8/19/12 5:37 pm - Atlanta, GA
I agree with Moonglo that you need to take it easy---you'll get tired easily.

But let me say---as pre ops I think allot of us concentrated on the F&A activities at locations, events, etc. It's been the most important form of entertainment. But you know, when it's not the focus, there's so much more to do with a little research in any city, festival, social event, etc.

Because I'm a wannabe travel agent and I've never been to San Antonio, I went to the Riverwalk website. Upcoming craft shows, a museum, rubber ducky race, concerts. You can find non food stuff. Check it out.

Good luck with your surgery. Don't over do--your recovery is most important. But have some fun if you can.

rhearob
on 8/19/12 5:45 pm - TN
There are things you can do around riverwalk that don't involve food and alcohol.  You can shop.  You can enjoy a romantic stroll with your husband.  You can do the Alamo.  The riverwalk is actually a great place to get the walking you will need in - without a lot fo stress.

Examine your own fixations with food and alcohol.  Why is it that those are the things you notice and think the most about?  With the San Antoniio river and the plants, and the boat rides - Why not try to focus on the romance with your husband.  

The hardest part of this journey you are undertaking is mental.  YOu have to focus on getting a grip on your own motives for using food and develop strategies for dealing with those and eventually developing a healthy relationship woth food.  

VSG: 11/2/2011; LBL+Thigh Lift+BL: 10/3/2012; Brach+Mastopexy:  7/22/2013

blessedbutlers
on 8/19/12 6:07 pm - TX
 That is the plan.  Slow, Quiet time with my husband.  With 3 children ranging from 3-12 we need a break!  LOL!
Most Active