Steroids and Weight Gain???

jenngirl
on 8/21/12 2:32 pm, edited 8/21/12 2:42 pm
VSG on 06/25/12
For the past week , I have been going through an asthma attack brought on by allergies. I cannot seem to get well. So, today I went to my primary care doctor. I left a message at my surgeons office to see if there were any medications I need to stay away from, but no one returned my call. My primary care doctor did not seem to know much about the restrictions of weight loss surgery.  I was wondering, does anyone know how these steroids might affect me or my weight loss?
TSinNC
on 8/21/12 3:46 pm
VSG on 08/16/12
I tend to gain water weight when on steroids. I'm not sure about their use after wls, though. Hope you feel better soon!

fooh.pngTina

Follow my journey at www.TinaRebooted.com  Blog, Recipes, Product Reviews, and more!

happyteacher
on 8/21/12 4:04 pm
 I have had to use steroids related to the cancer treatment.  My appetite did increase and it was a little harder to keep the calories in check, but it was managable.  I also have asthma, but have not had to use steroids since surgery- pre op they never bothered be, but then again I was constantly eating back then so maybe it did and it just didn't register.

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

colomama2G
on 8/21/12 6:32 pm
 I have Rheumatoid Arthritis and asthma. My surgeon told me up front that he wants me to avoid steriods if possible after the sleeve. He did say a short course of them, in extreme cir****tances, would have to be ok. That being said...when I am on them, i could eat the house empty!!! It increases my appetite ten-fold! If you are mindful of that possibility, you should be fine. Hope you get to feeling better!
INgirl
on 8/21/12 6:39 pm
I've had to take 2 courses since surgery.. no direct effects sleeve-wise, and no contra-indications that I'm aware of (disclaimer- check with your surgeon to be safe) just for me- they amp me up a little and I don't like the edgy feeling. I have not gained, but then again- the longest was 2 weeks in a tapering dose.. 

USAF Wife has had to take longer courses, something I know she thanks the VSG for allowing her to do! 
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 178 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 451 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 475 views