Getting frustrated 10 days Post Op

vickyn_p
on 8/24/12 9:33 pm - CA
VSG on 08/14/12
I'm 10 days out and I'm not losing any weight.  I'm still on full liquids and I pretty much only consume the protein shakes, with a couple small bowls of soup mixed in.  I'm getting enough protein and water every day.  I'm walking and almost as active as I was before surgery.

If I'm not losing now, what will happen when I start to eat solid food again?  Will this plateau continue?  Frustrated.

I lost more weight before on the pre-op liquid diet than I am on this one.

VSG 8/14/12
Dr. Zare
San Jose, CA    

Highest weight: 253 Starting Weight: 253 Surgery Weight: 225 Current Weight: 197

Kelly-AnneH
on 8/24/12 9:43 pm - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
A few questions - the answers will help us help you.

How many calories are you ingesting each day? Even protein drinks and soup can add up to a lot more than will allow weight loss.

How much did you lose pre-op and how much since surgery?

Reality is that if our calories are at a losing level (generally between 6-800 per day) the weight has no choice but to go. The scale may mess with your mind for a bit, but eventually it'll cave and show how much fat you've lost. (water likes to fill the gaps so your body can pretend to not be burning fat)

Highest 303.4, Surgery 263, Current 217.8, Goal 180

vickyn_p
on 8/25/12 8:02 am - CA
VSG on 08/14/12
Kelly,

I'm around 600 cal a day.  I lost 7 pounds pre op on the liquid diet and have only lost another 5 post op.  Maybe im expecting too much too soon.  Unfortunately I'm still hungry a lot of the time and it's frustrating to be hungry, not eat and not see the weight fly off me.  

For now I'll stay the course and wait for that weight loss to come.

As of this morning I lost another two pounds.  I think I'm just expecting too much to happen too quickly.  

Thanks for your help.

Vicky

VSG 8/14/12
Dr. Zare
San Jose, CA    

Highest weight: 253 Starting Weight: 253 Surgery Weight: 225 Current Weight: 197

Kelly-AnneH
on 8/25/12 9:56 am - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
You know, it sounds to me like you're doing really well. My weight feels like isn't flying off either, but when I stop and add it up I'm down 32# in 2.5 months - that's actually a pretty darned amazing loss! You're down 14# in only 2 weeks - that's fabulous!

One thing worth thinking about is talking to your doctor about trying a PPI to reduce stomach acid. The one day I forgot to take mine I spent with a constant gurgly "maybe if I ate something my tummy would be happier" sort of "hunger."

Happy966
on 8/25/12 5:33 am

Vicky - PLEASE don't stress about this!  Unless you are a non-human life form from another planet, this surgery is going to work just fine.  I am a 52-yr-old post-menopausal woman who lost weight just fine.  You will, too!!  Don't stress out, focus on eating on plan and moving your body.  The rest will take care of itself.  Hugs!!

:) Happy

53 yrs old, 5'6" HW: 293 ConsW: 273 SW: 263 CW: 206

skinny cat
on 8/25/12 6:03 am
VSG on 01/08/13
 I have been reading these posts every day and after much thought, I think after my surgery I am not going to weigh myself unless I go to the doctor. I am going to measure, but not weigh. It seems so many people stress over the scale and the important thing is how you fit in your clothes and how healthy you are/will become. Think of your health. I'm sure the majority of people are doing this to get healthy so concentrate on health and how comfortable you are in your clothes and I think you will stress less.  

LadydeeNJ
on 8/25/12 7:34 am - NJ
VSG on 08/13/12
Im 12 days post op and i understand your frustration totally. I have been introducing new things daily cause i cant take full liquids any more and puree isnt something im looking forward to in the next two weeks. You are on track and doing what u have to do which is great! Im new at this too but one thing i know that no matter how long the stall feels u have to roll with it and accept it because its not going to stop your weight loss. On the contrary its just your body regulating itself. You lost 12 lbs this month!!!! thats awesome!!! your on track which means your mind is right .... thats awesome so overall your on track here!!!! Stay in your flow !!!! your doing great!!!!
  Diana aka Ladydee NJ        
Pinkone
on 8/25/12 7:44 am - Des Moines, IA
VSG on 08/13/12
Just go with the flow! What everyone says is for a reason....it happens so differently for everyone. I really believe that after reading so many posts. I'm 12 days out also. BUT, at one week out, and I mean 7 days, the scale STOPPED MOVING. UGH!!! I know we build up to this soooo much, and we read soooo much about dropping weight right and left that we expect it to happen to us. So here I am thinking, oh right, I'll be the one person this doesn't work on!

Ha! Even I didn't believe that. So Monday-Thursday, NO movement on the scale. Stuck. Goose egg time! But Friday....oh, Friday....2.5 lbs down! And today, hello, Saturday. Another 2.5 down. Yay! Stupid body-having-to-get-used-to-this-whole-thing-toying-with-me week of frustration is over.

So anyway, you'll get there...just relax and follow the plan!
Tracey    
beckyinkc
on 8/25/12 8:51 am
VSG on 07/25/12
You are ONLY ten days out from major surgery that included ripping out 2/3 of a major organ.  Your body is still reeling and trying to figure out what the **** you just did to it.  It may take a little time for things to start.  Follow your plan, and you'll get there!  I, too, lost more on the pre-op liquid diet than I did post-op.  In fact, I am 4 weeks out, and since surgery I've only lost 13 pounds (I lost 12 in two weeks on the pre-op diet).  I'm following the plan to a T, getting the protein and liquids I'm supposed to, and it's starting to come off little by little, though of course, I'd love for it to come off more quickly.  Like many say:  We did not get fat overnight, so it will not come off overnight. 

Try not to stress over the scale!  You'll be on your way soon enough.  Just focus on healing.

Kelly-AnneH
on 8/25/12 10:03 am - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
Stop for a sec here - you've lost a total of 25# in 6 weeks? That averages out to 4.16# per week. You are amazing! Next time you're at the grocery store, try picking up 25# of potatoes, then do something to celebrate. Personally, I think cashmere yarn makes a fine celebration, but any non-food treat counts.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 67 views