I learned my lesson: confessions of a 10 day post-op

Jarisaunt
on 9/2/12 1:31 pm - CA
VSG on 08/21/12
I was sleeved on 8/21. Successful surgery, no problems. Have had a typical recovery so far, drinking tons of water, consuming protein shakes, following the plan.
I've lost about ten pounds since surgery, pretty good.

Well yesterday I decided I was doing so well I deserved a treat (you know whats coming). Out of the blue some craziness took hold of me. I love hummus. Hummus is on plan for me-- it is a puree, no chunks, no chewing. I decided I was going to have two ounces.

What happened next should be a caution to all early post-ops. Follow your plan exactly as given by your surgeon. DO NOT DEVIATE even a little.

I thought I was hungry so I ate a big spoonful right away. It tasted so good I immediately ate another smaller spoonful. My sleeve gave me no feedback (how could it-- it is still healing, nerves are severed, etc****pt eating until I ate what I thought was two ounces in about five to seven minutes. I probably ate more like three or four ounces.

I had violated two rules from my doctor: 1) measure and 2) eat small bites very slowly. .

Two hours later I felt the worst pain I have ever felt in my stomach and intestines ever. It was like someone was stabbing me over and over. I went into dry heaves, and had severe nausea all night. Sixteen hours later I am still in pain, although it is lessening.

Never again. Now I measure everything. I take tiny bites. I make my meals last twenty to thirty minutes.

Please don't let what happened to me happen to you!

Height: 5'5"  2 wks pre-op: -15  M1: -20  M2: -18  M3: -12  M4: -13  M5: -8 M6: -10 M7: -2 M8: -10 M9: -4 M10: 0 M11: -3 M12: -3 M13: -14 Start Wt:290 SurgWt:275 (BMI 46) Current Wt:145 (BMI 24) Goal:140 (BMI 23.3)

happyteacher
on 9/2/12 1:39 pm
 I am so sorry that your lesson was so painful.  I think it was generous of you to be willing to put yourself out there so other newbies hopefully can take it as a case in point for not cheating.  Hope you feel better soon :)

Try to identify what your trigger was and develop some strategies for the next time it happens.

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Jarisaunt
on 9/2/12 1:55 pm - CA
VSG on 08/21/12
Thanks for your kind words. I do need to figure out what triggered that episode. I'm going to support group this Wednesday and will be sure to bring it up.

Height: 5'5"  2 wks pre-op: -15  M1: -20  M2: -18  M3: -12  M4: -13  M5: -8 M6: -10 M7: -2 M8: -10 M9: -4 M10: 0 M11: -3 M12: -3 M13: -14 Start Wt:290 SurgWt:275 (BMI 46) Current Wt:145 (BMI 24) Goal:140 (BMI 23.3)

(deactivated member)
on 9/2/12 2:41 pm
I am very glad you have learned your lesson and that you are feeling better and I hope you have promised yourself not to indulge in risky behavior again. It is clear that you have some work to do on the emotional side of things. Sounds like you're on the right path to do that.

A suggestion, if I may: Next time (and there will be a next time) try my simple wait strategy. I tell myself that I can have the ___________ in five minutes, if I still want it. Most of the time once I agree with myself on the waiting I can let the craving go. If I still want it, I'll ask myself if I can wait another half an hour. I know I can always wait that long. By the half hour mark I'm done and can move on. IF not, I strike up a deal with myself to plan for it tomorrow. That way it's not cheating and it will be on plan. By the next day I have never wanted it, but I know I can have it, if I want. It's a trick that works for me.

That said......, for all the newbies out there, let this be a real warning for you. Deviating from your surgeon's plan can be dangerous to your health. Pain is one thing, but not measuring your food intake can lead to some serious and life threatening situations. The OP here is very lucky.

A newly sleeved stomach has very little feeling. It is swollen and the nerves have been severed and all the tissue is healing. It is one hot mess. It is virtually impossible to feel full so early out. Top that off with the fact that that full feeling will now feel completely different than it ever did before. My "full" is felt in my throat at the esophageal sphincter. My belly never, ever feels like a bloated, Thanksgiving, I can barely move discomfort.

Take time to learn your new sleeve. Treat it kindly and it will reward you in ways you can't even begin to imagine. Disrespect it, and I've been told it can become a nightmare. You still are in charge of what goes in the old "pie hole"!
Jarisaunt
on 9/2/12 2:55 pm - CA
VSG on 08/21/12
Your wait strategy sounds like a great technique for dealing with the situations like the one I experienced above. I will try it the next time I experience a craving.

Your words about learning my new sleeve are well taken. It sucks that I can't use it to guage feelings of fullness yet, so I have to be extra careful until I'm healed. Too bad it took the Hummus Incident yesterday to reinforce that simple idea.

Being a newbie is hard.
sheranfour
on 9/2/12 4:54 pm

My surgery day is fast approaching...and I can't thank you enough for sharing your experience. I'm scared to do the same...THINK I'm doing OK...then finding out the hard way OK may fool ME...but I guess the SLEEVE isn't easily fooled.
I hope you feel much better very soon.

Not MY will, but HIS. Not MY time, but HIS.    
(deactivated member)
on 9/2/12 5:09 pm
 THANK YOU for sharing that! I had surgery on the same day as you, and I start purees on Tuesday. Hummus is on the menu! So I will remember your warning very clearly.
jtshack
on 9/2/12 5:25 pm - SC
VSG on 08/28/12
I was sleeved Tuesday (8/28) and I was actually considering a small amount of protein shake, but now I'm scared to death to do it! Guess I'll hang on to that clear diet for another week...I've had enough pain in the last week that I really don't want to give my new tiny tummy any reason to revolt. This clear liquid diet SUCKS!, but thank you for sharing your experience. It was a warning I needed and it came with perfect timing!

Hope you're feeling better now!

~ Tracey from SC ~ VSG on 8/28/2012 with Dr. Lopez in Tijuana

Start - 250 ~ Surgery - 218 ~ Current - 145

Angeliasha3
on 9/3/12 8:30 pm - NC
Hi,
I was sleeved (8/30/12) and started drinking sips of my protein shakes. My only problems are acid reflux and pain when swallowing. I maybe taking too big of a sip due to being thirsty.
toniosmom
on 9/2/12 6:41 pm
I weigh or measure everthing.  My struggle is the speed in which I consume my food.  I have always been a very fast eater and I struggle with that now.  I also feel it in my throat when I am full.  When that happens, I immediately stop eating and it usually passes within 15 minutes or so.  It's not painful, but it's a good signal.  My goal is to know when to stop BEFORE I get that feeling.  More importantly, SLOW DOWN. 

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 70 views