Going vegan and breaking stalls

June W.
on 9/4/12 7:46 am - Phoenix, AZ
VSG on 04/12/12
 Hi everyone,

I have wanted to be vegan for a long time now and I finally just decided to do it. I figured out a meal plan that will get my protein intake around 60 grams or more if I have a protein shake. So if there is anyone out there who wants to go veggie, just know that it is possible.

I eat beans, lentils, nuts, and tofu everyday. Now my carbs are higher than most people on here recommend, over 100 grams, but I am losing weight consistently anyway. I'm at about 1100 calories/day. It's made me question the low carb/high protein diet that I thought I HAD to do or I wouldn't be successful.

People's needs are different, so I'm not saying that my way is the way to go. I just remember when I got on here I was hoping to see other vegans. It may be harder to do it, but I'm actually finding it pretty easy to just switch out lentils for the beef I was eating, etc.

fear_of_grace
on 9/4/12 8:27 am - TN
VSG on 10/08/12
 Interesting!  I am a pre-op vegetarian and have been researching how to make this work. I haven't met with my NUT yet, but my paperwork is anti lentils/beans.  The paperwork actually has a vegetarian diet plan, but it relies heavily (every meal) on fake meat products and I prefer to eat more "real foods" if you know what I mean. 
So happy to hear that you found something that works well for you!!!! 

Month 1: -27 lbs Month 2:  -9 lbs Month 3: -11 lbs Month 4:-10 lbs Month 5: -8 lbs

Month 6: -8 lbs Month 7: -5 lbs Month 8: -9 lbs  Month 9: -2 lbs Month 10:

June W.
on 9/4/12 8:31 am - Phoenix, AZ
VSG on 04/12/12
 The food plans most of us were put on after surgery are very anti-carb. This serves a purpose, but if you are veggie it can be hard to get in protein without higher carbs since the sources of protein also have carbs, i.e. beans, lentils, etc. It is a decision each person has to make for themselves.

If you are a lacto-ovo vegetarian, then you can get a lot of your protein from eggs and dairy. It's a little easier than vegan and might be a good compromise. Good luck to you!

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 52 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 52 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 217 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 298 views