How to count the calories in crockpot

Feystorm
on 9/13/12 7:55 pm - CA
VSG on 03/14/12
 My favorite way to make pork roast is to let it roast all day in my crockpot.  I usually put a variety of different liquids, seasonings and such.  However, my favorite is to put Apple Juice, Apple Cider, water, cinnamon, nutmeg and garlic w/ herbs.  (Sounds weird, but it's awesome!!)  However, we dump the liquid out.  How would we record this?  I am sure that since the meat absorbs some of the liquid it has to add to the calories, but it is probably minimal, right?  lol  

HW:242 Start of Preop Diet:  217  SW:200 CW:116.8 GW: 115;  SOCAL MEETUPS GROUP!:  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/socalhallo2012/    

EliseG
on 9/13/12 7:59 pm - MA
Maybe, weigh it if you have a heavy duty enough food scale? This is what I do with mine. I weigh the meat, then weigh the entire contents before cooking. Then I weigh the contents after cooking and measure and weigh what I pour out. Not sure if it's the most accurate way (pun intended) but I think it's a good estimation :)

Feystorm
on 9/13/12 8:01 pm - CA
VSG on 03/14/12
 I am pretty sure that would break my little scale... my crockpot is pretty heavy.  lol.  Plus after cooking all day, some of it will also evaporate.  Right?  I think.  lol idk tho :P

HW:242 Start of Preop Diet:  217  SW:200 CW:116.8 GW: 115;  SOCAL MEETUPS GROUP!:  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/socalhallo2012/    

EliseG
on 9/13/12 8:06 pm - MA
Lol, yes it might break your scale. I don't weigh it in the crockpot, I transfer to smaller containers and add it all up. I'm a little obsessive though. Honestly, I find that not all that much liquid actually evaporates when all is said and done. I'm sure the calories from the seasonings and such in your pork are pretty minimal

Shagdoll
on 9/13/12 8:03 pm
Hey my Angi!!
I was able to pull up "crockpot pork roast" on MFP. 4oz. Is 160 calories & I'm sure it also breaks down the carbs, protein, etc...
I personally would just go by those stats.

Jenn  

WWBD?  

Feystorm
on 9/13/12 8:04 pm - CA
VSG on 03/14/12
That's what I used to track so far!  Great minds think alike.  

EliseG
on 9/13/12 8:07 pm - MA
That's an even better idea.
You're so smart, Jenn!

Shagdoll
on 9/13/12 8:14 pm
On September 14, 2012 at 3:07 AM Pacific Time, EliseG wrote:
That's an even better idea.
You're so smart, Jenn!
 Glad to think I'm good for some things!!  ;-)

Jenn  

WWBD?  

loverofcats
on 9/13/12 8:10 pm, edited 9/13/12 1:11 am
Measure the apple juice and cider. The herbs and garlic aren't really worth counting, but I supposed you could, if you wanted to. Weigh the meat. Put the ingredients, including apple juice, cider, and meat into MFP Recipe Calculator to figure at the nutritional content. You need to know how many servings you want to get out the pork roast. Once you know this, you enter this number into the calculator. Some of the liquid will be lost and I'm not sure, if it is really worth going to all that trouble to figure it out. I think I would be more concerned, about added fat, sauces, sugar, and other high calorie items.

Frankly, I would just use the nutritional information for the type of pork roast that you are using.
     "          
 LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

edelu
on 9/13/12 1:40 pm, edited 9/13/12 1:40 pm - los angeles, CA
I enter every ingredient on my log then break it down to serving, then I'd probably estimate a quarter of the liquids.  sugar in cider and juice is gonna get absorbed and I'd rather overestimate than under, just because I'm such a freak.  Hope this helps.  Like i have one dish that i cook in a cream soup, i put it in then remove it by half because i don't drink the soup.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 77 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 288 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 340 views