How did you handle your "firsts"?

getmylifeback12
on 9/14/12 3:23 am - NY
Just wondering how everyone made it through all the firsts.
Your first winter? Im worried about this because most of my exercising that I do is outside. Walking, hiking etc....and spending time outside keeps me from thinking about food inside. I find things to do. Wash my car, weed my garden etc.....

Your first Holiday Season? Im worried about this because I work in an office at a health care facility and we are BOMBARDED with "gifts" of food from family members, co-workers etc...not to mention all the parties and celebrations with family etc...

Your first big vacation? I did go to Myrtle Beach back in April, but I was still so early out from surgery that I was afraid of eating most foods (only 4 months and still healing) So it was pretty easy for me to stay on plan. Planning on going on vacation in November for my birthday and Im more comfortable with food, I still dont drink alcohol (I have had like 2 glasses of wine in 7 months) But Im thinking a beer would be really nice for my birthday.

Am I putting too much thought into all of this. My husband says I should just relax and take one day at a time. Im afraid if I "relax" I will fall back into old habits.
Please help!

Sutterbos
on 9/14/12 4:36 am
VSG on 06/21/12
I'm with your husband.  One day at a time.  Most of those things are months away, and you are stronger than you think.  Thinking about them all right now might seem overwhelming, but when each things comes it will be manageable if you just keep working your food and exercise plan!  

rhearob
on 9/14/12 8:00 am - TN

Relaxing is hard - but it doesn't mean not being mindful of what you eat and planning ahead for events.

As far as exercising outside, thats me.  I just cannot get into the treadmill or elliptical the way I can exercising outside.  I am just buying some thermal gear and planning on still working out outside.

For the parties and office events - you have two options - work those calories int your plan or avoid.  For parties, I use redirection a lot of times.  Someone comes up and starts talking to me about food or offering me food - I ask them about themselves.  People love talking about themselves more than they love talking about food and it helps build a bond because they think you are interested in them.

For food gifts and stuff laying around the office, I use my existing techniques - nothing goes in my mouth before it goes in my journal.  Just seeing the numbers is usually enough to make me step away from it.  Its is unlabeled - look it up.  The time it takes to do that is usually enough to let the craving pass.

VSG: 11/2/2011; LBL+Thigh Lift+BL: 10/3/2012; Brach+Mastopexy:  7/22/2013

beckyinkc
on 9/14/12 5:16 pm
VSG on 07/25/12
I felt that way pre-op, but honestly, I haven't felt that way post-op.  I thought that eating with people and finding food options would be stressful and difficult.  I thought that vacationing or traveling for business would be a nightmare, but honestly (contrary to my plan every single tiny bit of things mentality), I've just taken it a day or week at a time, and things have been just peachy.  I'm still cooking, because I enjoy it, but it's either just for other people or something that is OK for me to eat.  I guess mainly I'm just trying to deemphasize my focus on food, as it really and truly isn't a big deal to me these days.  (I say this as someone who still feels a fair amount of "hunger" as well.  I honestly NEVER thought I'd be to a point where I said that food wasn't important. haha)

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 92 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 314 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 362 views