Pre-op "Program" Suggestions

Kusoreo
on 9/15/12 2:30 pm, edited 9/15/12 2:31 pm - ID
VSG on 11/19/12
Hi all,

First time poster, long time lurker.

My VSG is scheduled for 11/19 and my surgeon doesn’t require a pre-op diet or weight loss. A friend of mine had RNY done almost a year ago by the same surgeon and she suggested that I start a pre-op walking program to help with the recovery.

My question is this… Looking back, is there anything you wish you would have done pre-operatively? Protein sample shopping, exercise, etc.? I want to be proactive in the next few weeks to set myself up for success after the surgery and would appreciate any ideas you all may have.

Thank you in advance!

~Elizabeth 

5'8"  HW: 296  SW: 284  CW: 184  GW: 160

Feystorm
on 9/15/12 2:35 pm - CA
VSG on 03/14/12
 I do suggest taking up walking, if only because you will want to do the newbie mantra after surgery: sip, walk, rest, repeat!  
As for the protein, I say to get a bunch of samples now and leave them til after surgery.  What tastes good pre op may taste like crap post-op.  I don't know why, just know that it happens.  

Good luck!

HW:242 Start of Preop Diet:  217  SW:200 CW:116.8 GW: 115;  SOCAL MEETUPS GROUP!:  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/socalhallo2012/    

Kusoreo
on 9/15/12 3:41 pm - ID
VSG on 11/19/12
Even though I have almost 2 months until the big day, I've found myself repeating the mantra already.  Thank you for your feedback!

~Elizabeth 

(deactivated member)
on 9/15/12 2:42 pm
Hi Elizabeth,
My suggestion would be to not buy too much protein right now.  Your taste buds might change dramatically after the surgery.  On the other hand, you might want to have some samples and have a few different things at home that are whey based.  Then, after surgery, you can get what will taste good to you.

I would also encourage you to start limiting things like coffee and carbs now and getting the withdrawl effect out of the way before surgery.  I was allowed to go back to coffee after I a few weeks, but it was hard to give up for me. 

Honestly, there isn't too much for you to do except read everything you can and give yourself a break.  Sometimes, I think we over-think this.  Just follow the program and you should be just fine.  Congratulations on making this decision and on your upcoming surgery.  Good luck to you.
Kusoreo
on 9/15/12 3:45 pm - ID
VSG on 11/19/12
Thank you, Elina!  I had forgotten about the whole carb detox thing and doing it mindfully will surely make it less "painful" and hopefully not even noticeable.  I really appreciate your insight, thanks again!

~Elizabeth 

Italian-Princess
on 9/15/12 5:10 pm - IL
VSG on 06/28/12
Hi Elizabeth

It's good that you are getting yourself set up early.  I read this board for a long time before I ever posted.  I learned a lot about what to do...........and some of what not to do.

Everything already said is right for almost everybody.  My tastes didn't change about things I already liked, but they did change to include things hadn't like pre-op.  I'm now 11 weeks out and I've had no further changes in what I like and don't like.  Who knows if that will change later???

My surgeon does not require a pre-op diet, but after reading this board, I decided to put myself on my own made-up pre-op diet. 

1.  I gave up diet cola (I was seriously addicted) cold turkey, gave up coffee -- in fact, gave up all caffeine -- wasn't easy, but worth it. 

2.  My next pre-op diet thing was to give up as many carbs as possible -- refined stuff, sugar, "goodies" of all kinds, pasta, rice, noodles, etc.  I was determined to be detoxed by the time I had surgery so I didn't have to go through that post-op.  It worked. 

3.  Another thing I did was to start chewing everything to death!  I took really small bites to get used to that part of the process that comes when you get to start on foods again post-op.

4.  I stopped drinking 30 minutes before eating and waited 30 minutes after eating to drink again.  This is part of my plan.  I think most plans have this "rule"  as well.

5.  I worked hard to eat a lot of protein........60 grams a day minimum each day.

6.  Most plans have a MINIMUM requirement of drinking 64 ounces of fluids a day.  I tried hard to get that in every day pre-op so it wasn't so hard to learn to do post-op.

I lost 8 pounds in those 10-12 days, even though I wasn't counting calories at all.  Sadly, I gained all of them back while in the hospital due to all the IVs I was given -- but it was gone in a weeks, so no biggie.

I'm sure there are other things I've forgotten to mention, but as others reply to your post, you'll see what others have done.

Congratulations on having your surgery day.  Keep posting, let us know how things are going, ask questions..........this is a great site for support and encouragement.

Good luck!

Ree
Kusoreo
on 9/16/12 1:08 pm - ID
VSG on 11/19/12
Thank you, Ree!  I really appreciate your suggestions.  These are the little things that I can do now that become the big things later!

Thank you! 

~Elizabeth 

Italian-Princess
on 9/16/12 1:54 pm - IL
VSG on 06/28/12
Hi Again!

I thought of something else that might help you.  Measure and weigh all your foods.  Learn what those portions look like for when you don't have a scale or measuring tools.  Even if you aren't going to concern yourself with calories, etc., pre-op, weighing and measuring is really a great habit to get into pre-op so it's automatic post-op.

And in that same vein, may I suggest that you find a good food tracker and start logging your intake for every meal and snack for every day.  Studies have shown that food journals/diaries help a person to stay on plan and they tend to lose their weight more successfully.  Through some encouragement from some folks on OH, I joined MyFitnessPal.com and have been logging daily.  The help and encouragement there is wonderful.  Having a couple of places to find support has made my life much better.

If you decide to join, my name there is Justme72847 if you want to friend me.

Good luck.............

Ree
Kusoreo
on 9/16/12 5:00 pm - ID
VSG on 11/19/12
Thanks again, Ree.  I just joined MFP because so many people around here rave about it and you suggested it so highly.  You are always so considerate of others!  Thank you for taking the time to give me such great suggestions.

And keep up the great work! 

~Elizabeth 

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 82 views