Moving on from carbs...how much fat?

LessOfSarah
on 9/15/12 10:15 pm - Burlington, Canada
VSG on 11/30/12
 Hi all,

I'm having my VSG in November and have been researching and reading OH for a year or so. I'm trying to get a handle on exactly what my plan of attack needs to be once I'm back on "real" food during the full-on weight-loss stage.

I've read many threads on this forum about protein and carbs, liquids and calories, and what the vets recommend, what alternatives some people follow etc.

My question is about fat...

I've read a lot about dietary fats lately, and it seems that some people seem to follow a low-fat diet after VSG while some don't (just based on observation).

There does seem to be some research out there that says a diet high in "good fat" - ie. from sources like avocado, coconut, fish, nuts, olives etc. - is a good thing if you are restricting your carbs.

So, I'm wondering - what is your daily "goal" when it comes to fat, do you differentiate "good" fats from overall dietary fats etc.

Thanks!

Interested in my journey? Visit my blog at http://lessofsarah.wordpress.com
INgirl
on 9/15/12 11:05 pm
I didn't/couldn't do high(er) fat in weight loss mode and keep within my cal goals- and hit my protein goals.. that said, overall- my diet is/was moderate fat in ratio to protein, and very low carb. And yes- from what I also read out there on nutrition, you really do want some good amount of healthy fats- from the sources you name are some of the best when you go very low carb. It's a balancing act early out- and it will have to tip in favor of calories with protein being #1, fat being #2.. 

I did make sure to supplement with several grams of fish oil a day, as well as a gram of eve primrose oil.. but unfortunately I couldn't eat as much coconut/avo and nuts as I wished.. maintenance is different, as I up my cals- the vast majority are coming from healthy fats.. 

pknorr2
on 9/15/12 11:09 pm - CA
I'm not a vet - I'm only 12 weeks out - but I just wanted to point out, while I'm one of the very low carbers (I enjoy it, and it's just enforced with the sleeve.) I don't care about the fat, and don't measure it...but my new stomach cares about the fat. I could never eat red meat fat now like I could before, it doesn't sound good, and it makes me queasy. Not even sure I could swallow it anymore.

Olives don't always feel good on my stomach anymore (loved them before)but I have had them. I can't make myself eat an avocado at this time. Maybe later.

I love to add peanut butter to my greek yogurt, and a little cashew butter here and there when I need something, but it's not a meal time yet.
With that said I don't buy "low or non fat" either (except for greek yogurt because it's lower carb for some reason, and if I want milk).

I just eat and keep the carbs to naturally occurring (except for my sugar free pudding), and cook with coconut and olive oil when I need some kind of oil.

So it's weird how your tastes and stomach will react to things after your surgery.

Good luck!
rhearob
on 9/15/12 11:46 pm - TN

Honestly, if you follow the guidelines for calories and protein, you WONT hvae any room left for carbs or fat for a while.

Why?  Fat = Calories, any fat even "Good" fats.  Those are calories you won't be using for protein.  I didn't have any nuts until maintenance.  Same for olives, avocado, etc.  On 600 calories a day I just didn't have the calories for them if I was going to meet my protein goals.

VSG: 11/2/2011; LBL+Thigh Lift+BL: 10/3/2012; Brach+Mastopexy:  7/22/2013

(deactivated member)
on 9/16/12 6:05 am
I generally eat 80g or higher in protien a day, under 40 carbs and then my fats tend to be around 25g. This is within 800 to 900 calories. Hope this helps, best of luck to you!
LessOfSarah
on 9/16/12 10:43 am - Burlington, Canada
VSG on 11/30/12
Thank you all for your posts!

INgirl/Rob - that makes total sense that during weight-loss it's difficult to get those fats in due to the extreme calorie restriction and importance of protein. That didn't occur to me right away, but I'm glad that you pointed it out as well.

I will move forward with the idea that those good fats can wait until maintenance, and just let it fall in line based on my other daily goals (protein/calories etc.).

Interested in my journey? Visit my blog at http://lessofsarah.wordpress.com
(deactivated member)
on 9/16/12 10:48 am
Yes, I second what Rob said and INgirl is right too.  I would say that in weight loss, it's all about limiting your calories while maximizing your protein intake.  That all changes in maintenance.  But we can talk about maintenance when you are closer to it.
KathyA999
on 9/16/12 12:23 pm
It's actually just a math calculation.  So:

Protein and carbs are 4 calories per gram.
Fat is 9 calories per gram.

If your goal is, say, 800 calories a day:
60 - 80 grams of protein a day = 240 - 320 calories
40 grams of carbs a day = 160 calories
So, 400 - 480 calories in the "important" components
Divide your remaining calories by 9 to get your fat intake.
You can play around with the numbers any way you want, depending on your particular goals.

That said, as others have said, I never set a goal for fat intake, or counted it or worried about it.  I knew that fat would HAVE to make up the remainder of my diet, once I reached my protein goal (which for me after a few months was 100 gms) and limited my carb intake to 40 gms or less, thereabouts.  As far as the type of fat, I avoid canola oil, and cook with either butter or coconut oil or bacon fat, and use only olive oil for my cold-oil needs (salad dressings, pesto, etc.).  LOVE avocado, eat it as often as I can.  I NEVER use vegetable oil such as Wesson.

BTW, I never counted the calories in vitamins or Crystal Lite, which I drank prodigious amounts of (and still do), since plain water bothers my stomach.  I figured vites were doing me WAY more good than the small calories they added to my diet.  So I may have been getting up to 100 additional calories from those things.

Good luck on your upcoming surgery!  I too read this board for a couple years before going under the knife, hours I consider extremely well-spent.

Height 5' 7"   High Wt 268 / Consult Wt 246 / Surgery Wt 241 / Goal Wt 150 / Happy place 135-137 / Current Wt 143
Tracker starts at consult weight       

In maintenance since December 2011.

stephintexas
on 9/16/12 3:37 pm
I have literally tried 100 variations of combinations and fat has had no impact on my weight loss. In fact, I feel better if I ingest healthy fats in greek salad dressing, nuts, avocados, etc. but haven't seen a difference in amount of fat.

happyteacher
on 9/16/12 6:26 pm
 I do not set a specific fat goal, but I avoid high fat foods except for cheese.  Even with cheese I look for reduced fat.  

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 77 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 288 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 340 views