Fitbit question

toniosmom
on 9/25/12 9:11 pm, edited 9/25/12 9:11 pm
I just got a Fitbit Ultra over the weekend and have been using it for 3 days now.  I was able to successfully sync it with MyFitnessPal, so it automatically adds calories to my total allowable calories for the day.  However, I notice that it's very inconsistent.  

For example, on Monday, I hit over 7000 steps and it counted that as 30 calories.  Yesterday, I hit over 6000 steps and it allowed over 1600 calories.   This morning, I haven't even put the thing on yet and it has already allowed 293 calories.  

Has anyone else seen this type of inconsistency?  I'm wondering if it is malfunctioning or if this is a known bug with the software?  I'm going to contact the Fitbit people later today, but thought I'd ask my OH "experts".  

Thanks!

hrford
on 9/25/12 9:45 pm
VSG on 03/19/12
 My reply would be it doesn't matter.  You shouldn't be eating back those calories anyway.  Just track your steps.

HW: 270 SW: 234.4 CW: 135.0 1stGW:149 (GOAL MET)afreshstart-hreneeh.blogspot.com/
1st 5k: 5/12/12 44:55  PR 4miles: 12/31/2012 35:49

rhearob
on 9/25/12 11:19 pm, edited 9/25/12 11:20 pm - TN

And For The WIN - Renee!

VSG: 11/2/2011; LBL+Thigh Lift+BL: 10/3/2012; Brach+Mastopexy:  7/22/2013

rhearob
on 9/25/12 11:19 pm - TN

Fitbit does its best to estimate your basal metabolic rate.  Thats why it will tick off calories even if it only detects slight movement.

It also tries to estimate activity levels - so if it sees a lot of movement it will figure that you are being more active (the tall flower) and burn calories at a higher rate than if it is detecting only small movements (the short flower).  

Its not actually a bug, but it is confusing.  Also, fitbit will not sync your weight back from MFP - so to get a better estimate of burn, be sure to update your weight on its site as well.  

MFP does their own estimates of burn from the data that comes over from fitbit - which is generally closer to what my HRM calculates when I wear it.  I tend to just ignore the data other than steps tracked and climb on fitbits web site.

VSG: 11/2/2011; LBL+Thigh Lift+BL: 10/3/2012; Brach+Mastopexy:  7/22/2013

1crazy_cat_lady
on 9/26/12 1:21 am - Winnipeg, Canada
I have to chuckle because my fitbit readings were the same as far as the 7000 day and yesterday being 6000 (major win for me). The other thing I noticed on my fitbit dashboard is that on the 6000 step day I had prolonged periods of activity compared to the 7000 step day. I think that is why the difference in exercise calories.
summer24
on 9/26/12 3:11 am
Perhaps you logged and activity on MFP on the 7000 day in addition to your steps from Fitbit?  Fitbit will adjust up or down, depending on which actvity is added through MFP.  Sometimes, there is a lag as to when you add in the exercise through MFP and and adjustment is made in Fitbit, and you will have a double or exaggerated total of calories burned, but usually, it will adjust itself later in the day.

I've had my Fitbit now since February, and it's pretty accurate.  I add my exercise on MFP based soley on my Polar HRM, and Fitbit deducts for it, and/or will add if I continue to move beyond what my BMR should be.

But I also don't ever eat back my calories burned :)
toniosmom
on 9/26/12 8:02 pm
I have added my activity (i.e. aerobics, low impact) on MFP and I know that is likely counted in my FitBit total as well.  But that only counts for less than 200 calories.  It's just so way off.  Today, I just woke up and haven't touched the FitBit yet (I haven't started tracking my sleep yet) and it already says on MFP that I burned 490 calories.  Perhaps I should contact the FitBit people.  

I realize that there will be some discrepancy and frankly I'm not paying too much attention to it, but since it's so way off, I thought I'd ask around.  I mean, I paid $100 for this thing -- I want it towork as promised.  

And, no, I NEVER eat the extra calories.   

Thanks for the input, as always!  

Karen

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 59 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 59 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 239 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 309 views