Home and sleeved

bandarella
on 9/29/12 3:15 pm - Bayonne, NJ
Revision on 06/19/12
Had a rough time. Was in the hospital 5 days finally home today. Fought horride nausea/vomiting. All were scared of a leak from it. Hiatal hernia repair, plus all the scar tissue. And now a problem with the drain I have still in me till Thur. I was miserable. Typical reaction of MY body to surgery, not of the surgery. Feel better, just still after all these years at a loss on keeping hydrated. I'm trying as much as I can. Tricky part for me ( yeah my luck is like that) I can't tolerate artificial sweeteners. They make me sicker. But, at this point hydration above all. I'll worry about calories etc later. Any words of wisdom are appreciated. Thanks.

Phyllis  

Using a touch screen on my IPad, excuse any typos. 

Calking
on 9/29/12 5:55 pm
VSG on 05/31/12
You are right that hydration is above all else.  After that is your protein.  To be honest I am approaching 4 months post surgery and I still don't get in 64 oz of water.  Some days are closer than others though.  Do your best at sticking with your surgeons or nutritionists guidelines.  Everything will work out.

As for artificial sweeteners, most people think of asparatame based ones (always gave me headaches) and more recently splenda (sucralose) based ones.  Splenda is artificial but barely.  It really is just slightly manipulated regular sugar.  

If you haven't already done so ... go with stevia.  It is not an artificial sweetener.  It comes from a South American plant and is what I use most often.  There is a newer product on the market that is made from monk fruit http://www.splendaprofessional.com/nectresse .  Oddly enough this is the sweetener used in Quest Bars (the non sugar alcohol ones that is).  There are always options.

Sorry to hear that you are having so much trouble so far.  It sounds like you have things under control and are at least getting better as things will get better.

Isn’t it a bit unnerving that doctors call what they do their “practice”?  -  George Carlin             

sleevicidal_maniac
on 9/29/12 9:25 pm
find things you CAN drink and keep them by you at all times. I made popsicles in an ice cube tray and froze cranberry and apple juice and then put the cubes in a blender. I had a much easier time "eating" baby spoons of juice than I did drinking it. feel better.
(deactivated member)
on 9/30/12 1:10 am
VSG on 09/26/12
I was sleeved on Wed and home Fri.  I have been feeling miserable as well.  It's sooo hard to get the fluids in.  Yesterday, I think I only got in about 12 oz but it was all I could stand.  I was able to get down half a protein shake too.  Today is a little better and I'm going to focus more on water.  Hang in there!
Inky-99
on 9/30/12 1:47 am
Try chewing ice. You can get your fluids without the uncomfortable feeling of sipping. Hope you are feeling better soon!
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 66 views