Sleeve Should Only Be Performed as a Staged Procedure

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 10/6/12 5:59 pm
VSG on 10/09/12
I sooooooooo want to believe this about myself! I suspect I am a food adict in denial and extremely clever at plausible justifications...I eat healthy food, just a lot of it, is one of my favourites!

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

WillItWork
on 10/6/12 11:04 am
What I have learned from a lifetime of effort, careful research, family and friends struggling with the same,  obesity, wt. loss, bariatric surgery could not be more complex.  All of the surgical procedures have the potential for failure (even after long term success).  Just like most of the diets,
And yet we all keep looking for the holy grail, because the alternative, doing nothing and getting fatter, is just too painful.
What works for some doesn't work for another.  What worked for a while, might not be for a lifetime.  Genetics is a factor, insulin metabolism/sensitivity, environment, medications, mood, you name it.  It's all part of the picture in the long run.
If you found studies regarding the long term effectiveness of the sleeve, why would it make any difference to you at this point?  If after doing all the basic stuff the veterans suggest (logging carefully, reducing carbs/calories, reasonable exercize, etc.) you still haven't seen a loss, then the literature is irrelevant.  Your sleeve gave you a brief reprieve, now it's time to try something else.
I will attach these 2 recent articles regarding the bariatric surgery and diabetes,  which may be a note of encouragement for some.

Sleeve Gastrectomy Proves Effective in Diabetes Remission
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/762107

Bariatric Surgery Beats Standard Therapy in Obese Diabetics http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/760883  

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 148 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 422 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 442 views