Sleeve Should Only Be Performed as a Staged Procedure

3yearsleeve
on 10/5/12 2:29 am - Boston, MA
I like for someone to counter my statement with some clinical data? I can't find one study that suggests the sleeve can provide patients with long term durable weight loss. If you can please point me in the correct direction.
Marioksig
on 10/5/12 4:05 am, edited 10/5/12 6:20 am - Santa Clara, CA
I'm curious... why so negative? Your tone seems a bit off as this is a place where people want to encourage each others and help others with that have similar issues.... My sleeve is the best thing I have ever done ! I dont need clinical data to back that up. Long term success is up to me not the sleeve, that would be the same for any WLS. I could go right back to being that 452pound man I once was. Long term results for any weight loss surgery are simply on a case by case basis in my opinion. We can all go back to that dark place we once lived, but its the choices we make through out the transition that should prepare us for a life filled with health conscious choices. If you are afraid to fail you will never even start the race! I wish you the best of luck and hope that you find some data that shows you that this will work--- if you let it! 

100 LBS gone in 3 Months! - 150 LBS gone in just over 5 Months! 

200 LBS gone in just under 9 Months!

Please Check out my blog:
www.sheddingounces.net  

jennydemerice
on 10/5/12 11:16 am - Gonzales, LA
Good post Mario!
Jenn

3yearsleeve
on 10/6/12 5:50 am - Boston, MA
 Thanks for your support.
(deactivated member)
on 10/5/12 8:56 pm
VSG on 10/18/12
On October 5, 2012 at 11:05 AM Pacific Time, Marioksig wrote:
I'm curious... why so negative? Your tone seems a bit off as this is a place where people want to encourage each others and help others with that have similar issues.... My sleeve is the best thing I have ever done ! I dont need clinical data to back that up. Long term success is up to me not the sleeve, that would be the same for any WLS. I could go right back to being that 452pound man I once was. Long term results for any weight loss surgery are simply on a case by case basis in my opinion. We can all go back to that dark place we once lived, but its the choices we make through out the transition that should prepare us for a life filled with health conscious choices. If you are afraid to fail you will never even start the race! I wish you the best of luck and hope that you find some data that shows you that this will work--- if you let it! 
One would think with the new layout they would have given us a LIKE BUTTON! I am totally "liking " your response! AMEN!
3yearsleeve
on 10/6/12 5:51 am - Boston, MA
 Thank you for your support.
3yearsleeve
on 10/6/12 5:49 am - Boston, MA
 Mario, great post. Truely appreciate the support. I wasn't afraid to start the race, I did 3 years ago by choosing to undergo VSG vs a Band, which was a mistake on my part because I didn't do my homework on the procedure and just listened to my surgeon. I started off at 295 and after 18 months I was down to 170! Then over the next 18 months I started to be able to eat more and I wanted to eat, very hunger. Today, I'm 245 lbs and I followed everything to a tee, diet and exercise. I never was diagnosed with GERD therefore I wasn't overeating and stretching the sleeve. I'm told that what happens is that when you have two sphinters (Pyloric and GE) the food can't go anywhere but out to the sides while it is being processed and prepared to enter the pylorus. 

This said, I'm controindicated for the Bypass. Thus the reason I'm looking for one US Based RCT out to 5 years (Bypass and Band have a number of 5 year study that are published in NEJM, Lancet and Jama - Highly regarded medical journals)  that suggests the Sleeve is a viable  option.

Any suggestions, would be greatly appreciated.
MsBatt
on 10/6/12 6:55 am
On October 6, 2012 at 12:49 PM Pacific Time, 3yearsleeve wrote:
 Mario, great post. Truely appreciate the support. I wasn't afraid to start the race, I did 3 years ago by choosing to undergo VSG vs a Band, which was a mistake on my part because I didn't do my homework on the procedure and just listened to my surgeon. I started off at 295 and after 18 months I was down to 170! Then over the next 18 months I started to be able to eat more and I wanted to eat, very hunger. Today, I'm 245 lbs and I followed everything to a tee, diet and exercise. I never was diagnosed with GERD therefore I wasn't overeating and stretching the sleeve. I'm told that what happens is that when you have two sphinters (Pyloric and GE) the food can't go anywhere but out to the sides while it is being processed and prepared to enter the pylorus. 

This said, I'm controindicated for the Bypass. Thus the reason I'm looking for one US Based RCT out to 5 years (Bypass and Band have a number of 5 year study that are published in NEJM, Lancet and Jama - Highly regarded medical journals)  that suggests the Sleeve is a viable  option.

Any suggestions, would be greatly appreciated.
Here's something that you might find interesting:

www.obesityhelp.com/forums/amos/4416773/quotDoes-the-Patient -Fail-the-Procedure-or-Does-the/

Not having GERD doesn't mean you weren't over-eating. There's just really no causal relationship there. Everyone has two sphincters in their stomach---the cardiac between the stomach and the esophagus, and the pyloric between the stomach and the duodenum. (Well, people with the RNY/gastric bypass don't have the bottom one, or aren't using it, anyway.) The stomach is a muscular body that's made to churn and process food, and that's still true after being Sleeved. Your Sleeve functions exactly like a 'normal' stomch, except it can't hold nearly as much food. It's going to stretch some over time, but it will never have the capacity your pre-op stomach did.

Exactly what makes you contraindicated for the bypass/RNY? Not that I think you should have one. You've already got a perfectly good Sleeve, so if you need more help, it's time to move on the a full Duodenal Switch.

jennydemerice
on 10/6/12 7:15 am - Gonzales, LA
3 year sleeve,
I know I don't know you from Adam but you said something in your post that I worry about for myself and I wanted to ask you about it.  You said "I started to be able to eat more and I wanted to eat"...I worry this will happen to me, I hope that with all I learn and knowing this is a tool I will be able to take control.  Do you feel like in the 18 you were loosing that you learned anything, or changed poor habits?  Did you work WITH your sleeve or just let it work for you?  I am not asking to be flip I really honestly want to know.  And then I want to know if you are just looking for something else to do the work WITH you or to just do the work for you?  Were you exercising?  Staying away from fast food and large servings?   Did you tell yourself NO when you felt you were hungry beyond what was appropriate?  Please help me understand.  Cuz if you haven't learned the skills that these tools are supposed to teach do you really want to keep having surgery to loose the weight for a few months and them gain it all back?  I then want to know if you were leaning on the sleeve too much -in your honest opinion- where do you think you went wrong, how can others avoid it?
Jenn

3yearsleeve
on 10/7/12 11:09 am - Boston, MA
My Grehlin levels at 24 months were almost back into the normal range, which created a sense of hunger that I've never had before. It was so difficult to go from not being hungery for 18 months to being starving....I had to eat which resulted in my weight gain and sleeve stretching. Now I'm hungry and have no restriction....last week I started on prescription medication to to help curb my appetite but can't sleep and I'm very anxious. I'll keep you posted.
Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 58 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 58 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 234 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 307 views