Sleeve Should Only Be Performed as a Staged Procedure

ThinLizzy
on 10/5/12 5:33 am - Benicia, CA
I'm a data point--5 years out, successfully maintaining :-)

Starting BMI-38.5, Surgery 08/14/07

SleevedLife
on 10/5/12 5:39 am
OK... dude.  I just read your profile.  I guess I should have done that before posting and I could have learned that you joined OH with an axe to grind.  

Your comparison of the CMS statement and the AMBMS is utterly unfounded.  The CMS statement that you quote is, like a lot of insurance policies a ****ton of words that basically amount to "we don't want to pay for this."   It is NOT based on current research.  It is 100% a financial stand.   Like most insurance companies, I Medicare is changing it's tune and is covering the sleeve just as it covers other bariatric procedures.  

So... you're arguments were not only completely erroneous, but completely outdated.  CMS ruled in June that they are covering the sleeve.   Here is their current statement:
http://www.cms.gov/medicare-coverage-database/details/nca-de cision-memo.aspx?NCAId=258&NcaName=Bariatric+Surgery+for+the +Treatment+of+Morbid+Obesity&Time

I hope that helps.

Nutshell:

Lost 140 lbs with VSG. (Hooray!!)

got pregnant  (yeaaaa!)  

got cancer (boooo!)

regained 40 lbs.   (grrrr!)

In summary: Alive & Grateful.   

slimpickins5280
on 10/5/12 5:52 am - CO
I think I'm in love.

VSG 10/18/11      If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one.-Dolly Parton

RyanJS
on 10/5/12 7:03 am - CA
VSG on 02/21/12 with

That is exactly why I did bother responding. I read his profile first. SMH...

I'm all for helping people that have driven off course and trying to turn themselves around but that is obviously not his intent which is pretty upsetting. This is a tool and that is it. It does not work if you do not work the tool properly. 

Heaviest Weight: 330 Goal Weight: 175 Current Weight: 150
"Hit Goal in 3 1/2 Months!!!"
"Nothing is impossible. The word itself says I'M POSSIBLE!!!"
"No one said it was going to be easy, but it will definitely be worth it"

edelu
on 10/5/12 9:04 am - los angeles, CA
But if  it didn't work for him, he can still post right?  Or are only success stories allowed? I might have an axe to grind too if i gained all my weight back after 3 short years.  Just sayin'.  Why all the hate?  
SleevedLife
on 10/5/12 9:14 am
 I have no problem with axe grinders.  I have a problem with people spreading gross misinformation as if it were fact, as if they were "blowing the lid off" the bariatric community.  To say that fifty percent of sleeves will require a revision operation and supporting it as a stand alone procedure is a money making scheme in some bizarre bariatric conspiracy is going well beyond venting over regain issues.

Nutshell:

Lost 140 lbs with VSG. (Hooray!!)

got pregnant  (yeaaaa!)  

got cancer (boooo!)

regained 40 lbs.   (grrrr!)

In summary: Alive & Grateful.   

edelu
on 10/5/12 10:31 am - los angeles, CA
But that's not what he said.  He asked a question and before anyone had read anything else about him, eggs were thrown.  I just don't get how someone's experience or their reaction to it can be met with such disdain or should be verboten. 

He's not some agitator making something up out of cloth, he's walked the walk and of all the replies here, there was until now, just one other who had the time in he has. He has the right to feel however he feels about his own experience, right?
Marioksig
on 10/5/12 6:24 am - Santa Clara, CA
I cant wait for the reply...

100 LBS gone in 3 Months! - 150 LBS gone in just over 5 Months! 

200 LBS gone in just under 9 Months!

Please Check out my blog:
www.sheddingounces.net  

Joshua B.
on 10/5/12 6:38 am - Ridley Park, PA
VSG on 12/05/12
me too

LaughingCow
on 10/5/12 6:45 am - VA
VSG on 02/01/12 with
It's okay for some people to not believe that the sleeve will work longterm.  I feel no compulsion to prove them wrong.  Their opinion has no bearing on how successful I am.  I'm doing well, but I knew going into it that I might not have longterm success.  I believe that I will.  I am doing well in the short-term.  But it's possible that this could turn out to be the least effective bariatric surgery in the history of man over the longterm.  I don't believe that will be the case, but it's possible and if someone wants to focus on that, that's a-okay with me. 
Amy
VSG on 2/1/12 with Dr. Halmi
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 99 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 324 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 368 views