Ok - I'm sleeved - when do I get back to my pre surgery weight and when does the diarrhea...

Ohiogirl
on 10/6/12 7:22 am - OH
VSG on 10/02/12
I was finally sleeved on Oct 2 - got home Oct 5 - have some hypertension and slow heart rate issues but over all did well - especially since I am an oldie, lol.  But I wasn't prepared for the huge fluid weigh gain - I came home 12 lbs heavier than I left - when does that subside - I already see people who were sleeved the same day as having lost 8 lbs already - how is that possible???  I just weighed - still up 10 lbs - wow - depressing and also hard to carry the extra lbs when feeling tired and weakened.  When does the losing begin?  Will I see any weight loss at my two appt?

Also have diarrhea from the gastrographin - lasted two days already - when does that let up.  Was planning on going to my grandsons' birthday party today but no way since I can't leave the bathroom for more than 20 minutes.  

I am on a pretty boring full liquid program for the next two weeks - broth, water, gatorade, protein drink, sugar free popsicles - pretty much it - bored already and having trouble getting fluids in - only 29 ounces so far but I feel full.  PA says at least 48 ounces the first few days but try to make it closer to 64 - never thought it would be issue but it is.

So I'm glad the surgery part is over but I was hoping I would be one to avoid the fluid weight gain and such prolonged diarrhea (I know everyone says I'll wish for it in another couple weeks).

Any suggestions or comments welcome and all you other OCT sleevers - join in and let me know how you are doing.

Paula
Brittany R.
on 10/6/12 7:43 am
 Paula, 
I was sleeved on the 2nd as well. I had only one bowel movement and that was thursday before i left the hospital. I am good but still very weak and sore at the incision areas. I to am having trouble getting my liquids in and sounds lIke we are going the same liquid diet. I have been enjoying miso soup (broth) from the japenese steak house. You might want to get some :). I am still walking around with my pillow but over all I cant complain. I have stepped on the scale and I was 225 going into surgery and I am at 215. I think everyone is different. I will say that i am constantly peeing after any liquid i take in of course i was going a lot more that the hospital due to the iv fluids. Give it time our bodies have a whole lot of adjusting to do these next few weeks. Keep in touch.
Boppie2012
on 10/6/12 7:51 am - Dunedin, FL
I was the same way after surgery. I gained the same amount. It took me two weeks to lose that and a couple of more. I was sleeved April 18th. I drive myself nuts weighing myself everyday thinking I should be losing faster. I have found that I am a stairstep loser which means I lose and then will not lose any weight for a few weeks. I weigh weekly. I notice that I will lose inches before the scale actually shows a loss. My nutritionist says that it is the best way along with losing slowly. I've lost 63 pounds so far and it is coming off evenly over my body. Just remember its not a magic pill or quick fix. You will have your challenging days and then others when you thank God for this surgery. As far as the diarrhea mine lasted about two weeks and I've been fine since. Good luck to you. You will do great.
lisa agathangelou
on 10/6/12 8:03 am - east stroudsburg, PA
VSG on 09/26/12
Mine didnt stop until i started my phase 2 foods. When i started eating cream of wheat and things like that

Italian-Princess
on 10/6/12 8:34 am - IL
VSG on 06/28/12

Hi Paula 

Don't fret about the weight gain.  It's not fat -- it's definitely from the IVs you had in the hospital.  I gained 8 pounds in the hospital..........took a week to drop them to get back to my surgery day weight.  I know how infuriating it is. 

I was on clear liquids for over a week, then 2 weeks of full liquids.  You'll get used to it.  Try to do other things to keep your mind off of it  Yes, you should work hard to get your fluids in -- that's the MOST important thing right now.  I could get in only about 40-50 ounces a day for the first couple of weeks.  Just make sure you don't get dehydrated.  That's SERIOUS business, so work as hard as you have to so you drink as much as you can.

Once you lose the IV weight, your EW will start to come off.  This is an exercise in patience.  And it doesn't end once you start losing.  I'm just over 3 months out -- I lost like crazy the first month, a more moderate amount in the second month -- since then, it's SLOW SLOW SLOW, so I have to be patient even now.

The diarrhea is something I didn't deal with.  I had the opposite problem.  That took a bit to fix, too, but I think I have it under control now.  But back to the "scoots" -- remember, liquid in, liquid out...........your body needs to adjust. 

Here's something to do that will help you later...........take your measurements now and keep a log of them.  When you get to stalls, you can measure again and you'll see inches dropping even when the pounds don.t   I measure once a month -- it sure has helped keep me sane!

Give yourself a few more days to get used to having your sleeve.........each day gets better.  Really, it does!

Welcome aboard the loser's bench...........happy to have you join us

Ree

SuzyNZ
on 10/6/12 8:46 am
VSG on 09/17/12
Don't panic,it's gas and fluids. I was much heavier when I came home and spent the first week feeling like the marshmallow man from ghostbusters, I was so bloated. My knee bones completely disappeared!

But by about day 7-9 I started to come right.

Just relax, heal, sip and don't stress about it

Suzy wink (Age: 41, Height: 6'1,  SW: 169.4kg/372lb.  CW: 80.5kg/177lb.  Total lost: 88.9kg/195lbs)

Pobearsam7
on 10/6/12 9:41 am
 I stayed in the hosp 4 days... I was 36 when I had my vsg... Gained 7lbs at the hosp ... It took me. A 1 1/2 wk to get it off... Everybody's body respond different the first two weeks post op... That is what I see on hts forum don't worry bout it too much 

Kelly                

missyshy
on 10/6/12 10:27 am - Canada
VSG on 09/21/12
It will stop and the swelling does come down,  I couldn't even fit in my pants I was going to wear home and they were big pre surgery !   It is a depressing feeling, but it comes down! I'm almost 2.5 weeks and I'm shrinking but my belly is still a bit swollen but nothing like right after surgery! 
Hang in there

Most Active