WTH?? Stomach Shrunk !! 4 yrs. post op

Carmelita
on 10/14/12 1:33 am - Four Corners, NM
I do the CCT (cottage cheese test) usually twice a year since 1 year post op. Always at 9oz stomach capacity. "new normal" range 8-12 oz capacity per meal right.   Anyway..did the CCT a week after my 4 year surgiversary.
7 oz.   I pushed it too!  

Disbelief/confoosed...my stomach shrunk? ...just did a retest this am...I DIDN'T pu**** this time... I sat there with my tablespoon of cottage cheese suspended in air...thinking do I want/need to take this bite.
NO!!  I was totally sated...at 6 oz  

WTF is goin on?  I have overeaten on a daily basis since as long as I can remember post VSG. If you believe a "few" VSGrs...our stomachs are supposed to "STRETCH" over time with over-eating/eating till full  ...even tho documented/bari surgeons STATE our fully matured VSG stomachs do NOT stretch. 

I am on a HIGHER (whole foods) carb diet by preference...I can't stand much animal flesh even tho it keeps me full longer...can't stand it, I also have a 34F bougie (by request) 

Am I dying? ..maybe I have a BRAIN TUMOR ? HA!...I am a tad (puttin it lightly,-) on the orthorexic side since VSG...my pcp calling me the "worried well" after I threw a tantrum cuz he finally flat out refused to renew my diabetic testing supplies script last month (had to see him to order my annual labs).  Hey doc..ASMBS says 6 years now for bari peeps..before Im in the clear! 

Maybe its my SATIETY that has reduced ( leptin resistance?) and not my stomach capacity? 

VSG at 4 years out is just as mindboggling to ME as it was my first year!
Looks like I'll never figure this out ...so Im gonna try harder to stay away from making absolute assumptions about it.

For anyone wantin to do the CCT to check YOUR stomach capacity...scroll down on my Bougies in VSG blog.  Oh and only do it if yer on a REGULAR DIET (~2months post op) ok!
louisamay
on 10/14/12 4:49 am
VSG on 04/27/12
Fantastic!!!!!!

I love it. We're all learning constantly and what works for one doesn't for another. That's the only constant!

[I'm not gaining weight. I keep lowering my goal!] [I LOVE MY SLEEVE!]

happyteacher
on 10/14/12 5:07 am
 This was nice to read!  Glad your restriction is still going strong!

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

bagelface
on 10/14/12 6:13 am
VSG on 08/22/12
 But....but....the Bougie Boogie men say you must not eat carbs.  You will never reach or stay at goal unless your breath smells like ass from ketosis.  And anything other than a 32 bougie will stretch to enormous proportions and you will regain.  And I bet your doctor never even compared himself to the leader of the free world in a video.  How can this be!!  
LMAO  you crack me up. Love your posts. 
lucy2e
on 10/14/12 6:17 am - Laurel, MD
Thanks for this post - I'll have to give the CCT a try! 

Lucy  (Imma Loser!)
  LilySlim Weight loss tickers                  
HW 335 SW 311 CW 181.2 -- Goals:  Twoderville - 6/7/11, 280 - 7/1/11, 260 - 8/1/11, 240 - 10/30/11 Centry Club - 11/22/11, 220 - 12/27/11 Onederland - 5/25/12, 180 - , 170 (surgeons goal) -  
We shall see where this leads...  

(deactivated member)
on 10/14/12 7:20 am
 Well, I am pretty sure my stomach shrank whenever I reduced my intake, even pre-op. So I don't see why it wouldn't happen post op.

As someone with a 40F bougie size, I can probably out-eat some of the vets who are on maintenance... and I'm less than 2 months post-op. I REALLY try not to worry about it, so it's reassuring to read posts like this. I have a lot of respect for those who are years out and maintaining, but there are some factors that are not in my control.... and I prefer not to scare myself ****less by taking it too much to heart....
happyteacher
on 10/14/12 9:09 am
 Hey Momma,

I have a large stomach too- no worries, it will work for you!  Don't suck into the "if you don't have a 32 you probably will not make it to goal" mentality- bunch of malarky, right along with the 6 month honeymoon.  It is about diet and exercise, period.  I had no trouble getting to goal and thus far no trouble keeping the weight where I want, despite a recent obsession with cookies (again).

Just work you plan and exercise :)

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

(deactivated member)
on 10/14/12 10:18 am
(deactivated member)
on 10/14/12 9:51 pm
VSG on 06/04/12
On October 14, 2012 at 5:18 PM Pacific Time, MommaAge wrote:
 Thanks for the reassurance. For dinner, I had a Trader Joes chili lime chicken burger. It's 4 oz. I'm full but not overfull. I also get hungry. I have gotten hungry since surgery, and I never got a break from it. I'm not constantly hungry like I was pre-op, but I definitely do feel real physical hunger. But I think about how much I ate pre-op and how much I'm eating now, and it's obvious that I'm going to continue losing weight for a long time.
Oh that chili lime chicken burger is my favorite!  Outside of the first month after surgery I am also hungry all the time.  My PPI's do work so its not acid as many people are quick to state - its just flat out hunger.  I have learned to live with it now that I'm a little over 4 months.  My 40f stomach is happy with most foods and I can usually consumer 5 to 6oz of dense protein if thats all I'm eating but I usually eat around 4oz and add in my spinach salad so I have some fiber.  Some days it feel like I have more restriction than other days. 
happyteacher
on 10/15/12 8:53 am
 Ok, so here is the weird thing I noticed.  I had the same thing that you wrote about above.  I started to time myself- 3 hours until I would eat again if I had a dense protein meal.  During the three hours the hunger would come and go, but many times by the time 3 hours came I was less hungry then say an hour or so out.  Not sure if you noticed that or not.  The other thing is that eventually when the hunger was really starting to be a problem I tried taking prilosec.  Even though I was not experiencin heart burn or anything, others posted that acid can mimic hunger.  My caloires dropped immediately.  I ran out, and sure enough more hunger issues.  Food for thought!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 66 views