3 weeks out and not doing well

charjp
on 11/4/12 5:42 am - galesburg, IL

I am 3 weeks out and have a couple of concerns.  I lost 12 pounds the first week post surgery, but have stayed the same the last two weeks.

For others, at this stage, how much protein and liquids were you able to get in?

How much protein and liquids should I be getting?  The nutritionist recommended 80 oz of water and about 80 g of protein.  No matter how I try, I can't reach that point.

Any help appreciated.  Thanks.

Keith L.
on 11/4/12 5:51 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

By 3 weeks I was able to get 80+ grams of protein because I drank an IsoPure everyday and that's 40 grams in a 20 oz drink that you can nurse all day. I still struggle with water but not because I can't fit it in, just get bored drinking it and what is weird about that is I was a huge water drinker before the surgery. Probably a gallon or more a day before.

Here's the way you have to think about this. Having the surgery doesn't make eating easy, it makes it VERY VERY hard. Its an all day wake up and start executing your plan every day until you go to bed. Focused on 2 things water and protein. It doesn't get easier it just becomes part of your routine like brushing your teeth.

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 11/4/12 5:57 am
VSG on 10/09/12
I managed between 60 and 80 gr protein as of day three post op. Three protein shakes to start with. Now I am down to one maybe two a day and I get close to 80 gr protein a day, trying from food as much as possible. I eat five times a day and very protein based. Chicken, greek yogurt, ground beef in bolognaise sauce with greek yogurt, eggs, shrimp, fish, scallops, calf liver, deli turkey, cheese, ricota, cottage cheese and the like. Nothing else passes my lips until I get 1.5-2 oz of protein in each feeding. I do try to get veggies and some fruit in mostly apple sauce and not daily now that my pill crushing days are over. When on purees I had to keep on with the three shakes. I would do a premier chocolate for breakfast and an unjury chicken soup during the day and usually half of a vanilla shake or an atkins advantage shake at night.
I managed 64 oz liquids as this was the magic minimum amount but not much more than that. Now I am up to abt 74 oz. Working towards 80 and more.
Keep on your plan and you will make it!

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

Jeannette M.
on 11/4/12 6:52 am - CA
VSG on 10/22/12

I'm in the same boat.  I struggle to get in 64 oz of water (my dr's recommendation).  As for protein, I can only drink 2 per day because it takes me forever to finish each one.  'm still doing pureed foods for another week, and am having an aweful time getting all of the protein in.  I'm lucky to hit 45g.  I hope that gets better when I can eat real food.

2003 HW 522lbs - SW (JIB) 511lbs - LW 370lbs   2012 HW 377lbs - SW (VSG) 364lbs - CW 200

SuzyNZ
on 11/4/12 8:00 am
VSG on 09/17/12
Don't panic. For the first 3 weeks I was getting next to no protein as I can't drink protein shakes at all and we can't get Isopure here in New Zealand.

Just focus on getting your fluids in. Try different temperatures of water (Im going through a warm water phase at the moment as cold water seems to go clunk into my tummy), try drinking diluted juice. Cranberry diluted about 5 to 1 was my go to drink.

80oz seems a lot to me unless you are staying up all day and night to get through it! Just try and get a minimum of 2 litres (that's about 60ish oz I think)

Your body has been through a lot and it just needs some time to take stock of what's been done to it. You have just stalled a little earlier (for me it was about week 3.5 and lasted nearly two weeks)

Just stick with it and don't get upset if you don't hit your goals this early. I saw my NUT last week and told her that I just can't possibly eat any more than I am. She was completely fine with what I was doing and all my bloods were perfect (even without protein for the first 3 weeks until I could eat food).

You are doing great!

Suzy wink (Age: 41, Height: 6'1,  SW: 169.4kg/372lb.  CW: 80.5kg/177lb.  Total lost: 88.9kg/195lbs)

charjp
on 11/4/12 8:22 am - galesburg, IL

Thank you for the encouragement.  Cranberry juice sounds refreshing.  Sometimes cold works better, other times warm drinks.

80 oz is a lot.  All I feel that I am doing is constantly putting something down my sleeve.  I have my labs drawn next week so we'll see how I am doing

vabella
on 11/4/12 8:54 am, edited 11/4/12 8:58 am - TX

Minimum of 64oz fluids daily and your goal should be between 60 to 80 grams a day on a maintenance diet.  thats what my nutritionalist says.  but my protien can not be shakes.  I have to eat mine.   remember that your tummy is still swollen and in time you will be able to hold more and will stay fuller when you eat your protein. (soft for now)

jen

Spencerella
on 11/4/12 10:56 am - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
VSG on 10/15/12

I'm at three weeks too :). I have a Premier Protein shake for brekkie (30 grams of protein), then focus on water with one cup decaf coffee until lunch.  3 oz puréed or mashed meat or fish for lunch, then back to water until dinner.  Another 3 oz of meat or fish for dinner, and back to fluids again.  If I need something else at night , I have an Unjury chicken soup at night.  In total, I take in 75+ grams peyote in and 8+ cups of water/fluids. (I've never needed to chicken soup, but I reserve the right to have it!  I don't eat anything else so that I can meet my protein and water requirements.

LINDA                 

Ht: 5'2" |  HW 225, BMI 41.2  |  CW 115, BMI 21.0

Kelly-AnneH
on 11/4/12 12:05 pm - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
I'll tell you how to get it in - it's up to you to do the work.

Make up 4 x 20 oz water bottles of something you like. (I like SF Hawaiian Punch, but very dilute fruit juice is also good. Add a scoop of unflavoured whey powder to each bottle. (I actually make this with the bottles 1/2 full, mix well, then add the rest of the water) Put 3 of the bottles in the fridge and check the time. Give yourself 3 hours per bottle. That's an ounce every 9 minutes, which is totally doable. If you want to be a slacker, set a timer for 10 minutes and make yourself drink 1 ounce every time it rings.

I can get one of those bottles down in about 20-30 minutes now by curling up with a book and taking a mouthful every time I turn a page.

Kelly-Anne

Highest 303.4, Surgery 263, Current 217.8, Goal 180

desertmom
on 11/4/12 1:49 pm - Dubai, XX
VSG on 03/13/12
I couldnt do water,drank tea.Didnt so to much protein either.Just did my best every day.Got about 50g every day.You should be putting something in your sleeve all the time now,as the sipping took all day for me the first couple of months as well.

It gets better.Until your healed just keep sipping protein shakes and whatever else you find easiest to drink.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 92 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 313 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 362 views