Dangerous Mindframe

KnitsByMama
on 11/3/12 8:18 am - MO
VSG on 10/16/12

I was sleeved on 10/16. I have had a VERY difficult recovery. Had to stay in the hospital for 4 days, couldn't get fluids in for over 2 weeks, ended up getting IV infusions, I'm on Zofran and Trans derm scop around the clock.... just to name a few things. 

The past 2 nights I have been completely unable to sleep, like AT ALL. I toss and turn all night, get up in the morning and feel as if I am going to pass out, horrible headaches, nauseated to the max. This morning I got up from a night of no sleep, I've had like 4hrs of sleep in the past 72hrs. I dry heaved and dry heaved until I started throwing up foamy spit. 

Now I've been trying to get as much fluids in as possible but I'm at maybe 30oz for the whole day. Zero protein. When the liquid hits about where my sternum is it feels like it gets stuck for a bit, burns almost and then goes down. 

I am getting into some dangerous thinking that this whole thing was a giant colossal mistake. I am resenting all of this. I have stayed away from this forum for a few days because I'm sick of hearing how great people are doing. I'm 3 weeks post op and I can't even get my fluids in, let alone protein, I'm always sick, I have NO energy, I am completely miserable. 

My Dr & Nurses are constantly calling checking on me, they know every bit of what I'm dealing with, they are trying their best to help me, but nothing seems to be working. I feel like a complete and utter failure. 

I just don't know what to do. 

(deactivated member)
on 11/3/12 8:24 am

I am so sorry you are struggling. I think the very first thing you need to do is get in more fluids.  Have you tried drinking about a shot glass of something every 15 minutes?  Try different fluids and different temperatures to see if something goes down easier.  I think you are dehydrated and that is a huge part of what is going on with you.  I am glad to hear that your doctor is so involved. 

On a happier note, I am certain that this will pass and you will be as happy as the rest of us down the road.  I just wi**** was faster for you.  Hugs.

KnitsByMama
on 11/3/12 8:30 am - MO
VSG on 10/16/12

First off, Thank you. 

Yes, I've had fluids attached to me 24/7. Today I've tried, ice cold, cold, hot, lukewarm you name it. 

I've tried tea, water, gatorade, propel, popsicles, soup broths. 

My poor husband is at his wits end trying to keep me out of the hospital, take care of our house, our 4 year old and work a 60hr week all at once. We have no family within 600 miles and have already exhausted all of our "help" resources, it's been 3 weeks. I feel bad for him. If I'm in the hospital again he has no one to watch our son. I'm causing all these problems for our family because I can't just freaking heal and progress like a normal person. It's mentally just making me crazy. 

Kelly-AnneH
on 11/3/12 9:17 am, edited 11/3/12 9:28 am - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
This might sound a little crazy, but have you tried ginger tea? Ginger is a natural antiemetic and can do wonders for a rebellious tummy. I prefer it made with fresh ginger, but will use powdered if pressed. Another one worth trying is well diluted TOTALLY flat ginger ale. (Same reason) Some people do well with (also TOTALLY flat) diluted coke. Don't worry about the sugar in it, but dilute well.

I can understand you feeling irritated by all the perkiness on here. Thank you for giving us a chance to try to help you.

You may have to go in for IV hydration. It shouldn't keep you in the hospital overnight (it might even be possible to have it done in the Dr's office or at home) and could make a huge difference. Dehydration makes you nauseated and throwing up dehydrates you which makes you more nauseated... IV hydration can stop the cycle so you can hold fluids down normally.

The burning and stuck feeling behind your sternum is from all the vomiting. Your poor new tummy is undoubtedly very, very swollen and unhappy. Have you tried just sucking on ice? If that helps at all, do you have such things as slushies (slurpies) there? I can get sugar free ones here. Not no calorie, but they went down and stayed down when my Fred didn't like much else. (And the cold helps a bit with the swelling)

Hang in there - it WILL get better. ((Hugs))
Kelly-Anne

Highest 303.4, Surgery 263, Current 217.8, Goal 180

dianne220
on 11/3/12 8:27 am - TX
VSG on 10/02/12

I'm so sorry!  I just for home from getting 5 IV fluids and had to stay overnight.  I am glad I'm  the only one who gets sad/irritated by everyone's perky excellent experiences, lol.  It gets annoying because like you I have no energy, cannot get my fluids/protein.  Everyday is a struggle.  I am happy for them but just want mine to go smoothly.  

I don't have any words of wisdom but that I heard it may take others like you and me to feel better.  I hope it is sooner but I've heard it can take up to 8 weeks.  

Btw...zophran can cause headaches. 

good luck, we can do this!

5' 8.75" HW 278 / Doctor supervised Diet 271 / SW 247 / Doctor's goal 175 / Personal Goal 167/ Current weight 155/  M1: 24.8  M2: 10.8  M3: 10.8  M4: 10.4  M5: 7.6  M6: 10.6  M7:  6.6  M8:  5.6  M9:  5.0

Kelly-AnneH
on 11/3/12 9:26 am - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
Try to not fret about the protein at the mo. yes, protein is important, but if you have to choose, always take the fluids. Being short on protein for a couple of weeks isn't perfect, but dehydration can kill you. Also, during the hard to get fluids in stage don't worry about the carbs/sugar bit. Just sip at whatever will stay down. Save the carb worries for a different day.

One of the few things that sat well for me during the first few week was WELL diluted unsweetened fruit juice, so that's what I drank. Oh - iced passion tea from Starbucks was also a winner and saved my butt a few times.

Kelly-Anne

Highest 303.4, Surgery 263, Current 217.8, Goal 180

Keith L.
on 11/3/12 9:37 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

I am guessing you are not healing because you are not getting any protein. Protein is the building blocks of healing. You need to get yourself IsoPure Zero Carb. They are clear liquid and 40 gms of protein. I assume you are not getting any vitamins either. Wellesse has a liquid multi vitamin that is supposed to be pretty tasty. You probably need those too. 

That feeling you feel is probably just some exposed or healing nerves. If you can stand the feeling just power through it. It gets better. Just like you would have to rehab your knee after surgery you have to rehab your stomach. Get the liquids down. 

Do warm liquids feel better than cold? Cold would likely help reduce any residual swelling.

I am sorry you feel this way. My surgery was such a great experience. I hope you get better soon so you can start enjoying some food.

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

KnitsByMama
on 11/4/12 1:24 am - MO
VSG on 10/16/12

I've tried the Isopure, I can not for the life of me stomach it. It's disgusting. 

No, I'm not getting my vitamins, I've been working w/ my Dr. on these, any time I take my vitamin my stomach cramps and I get sweaty, faint and vomit. We've tried chewables, liqiud and crystals. My stomach refuses them all. 

I'm at my wits end, I honestly think this was the biggest mistake of my life. 

Keith L.
on 11/4/12 6:20 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

I hated the orange IsoPure but the grape isn't too bad and the blue razzberry is tolerable. I am trying some new flavors this week. I will keep you posted.

You may need to get some vitamin injections.

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

KnitsByMama
on 11/4/12 6:34 am - MO
VSG on 10/16/12

I bought 1 of every flavor and I litteraly spit them all out. Ugh. 

I'll talk to my Dr. abt the injections tomorrow when I call. 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 68 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 253 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 321 views