ibuprofen for back?

hollirrose
on 11/10/12 2:51 am
VSG on 04/21/12
I cant get into my chiro until monday. When my back was out pre op he would have me take 800 mg (4 pills) 4 times a day for 2 days to reduce the swelling. For those who still take ibuprofen do you think this will be ok for my sleeve? Im a mexican sleever so I dont have a wls doctor to ask. I know some doctors say no to advil/ibuprofen/asprin after... Just need some advice.
karismommy231
on 11/10/12 3:04 am
VSG on 11/05/12

I was told NO ADVIL ever again. No NSAIDS either. I too have a horrible back and used to take it for inflammation and pain. But I cannot anymore. I would see your primary care doctor and see what they can recommend. My surgeon told me all I was allowed to take is Tylenol. I hope your pain goes away after surgery. I am hoping losing weight will help me some. MY pain is good right now but I am also on Percocets :) GL

HW: 235, SW: 227, CW: 152.0, 83 lbs lost since 10/22/12 --Fear less, hope more, eat less, chew more, whine less, breathe more, talk less, say more, hate less, love more, and good things will be yours.

karismommy231
on 11/10/12 3:06 am
VSG on 11/05/12

sorry just saw you had your surgery awhile back. I still would just do Tylenol and ice packs and stretching until Monday. I wouldn't risk tearing up my new tummy. GL

hollirrose
on 11/10/12 3:09 am
VSG on 04/21/12
Thanks for the quick reply. I was really hoping at least one person would give the go ahead! =)
Feystorm
on 11/10/12 3:09 am - CA
VSG on 03/14/12

My surgeon said NSAIDS were fine.  In fact this is the reason many people chose the VSG over the RNY.  I understand some surgeons give the same instructions for both surgeries, and to me, that is just a little bit lazy.   

I have chronic pain and take tramadol - same base as ibuprofen.  Before I got the Rx for it, I was on 800mg of ibuprofen.  

Call a nurse helpline if you are concerned. You will get conflicting info here.  Me - I am glad my surgeon differentiates between the surgeries he performs. 

HW:242 Start of Preop Diet:  217  SW:200 CW:116.8 GW: 115;  SOCAL MEETUPS GROUP!:  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/socalhallo2012/    

hollirrose
on 11/10/12 4:27 am
VSG on 04/21/12
On November 10, 2012 at 11:09 AM Pacific Time, Feystorm wrote:

My surgeon said NSAIDS were fine.  In fact this is the reason many people chose the VSG over the RNY.  I understand some surgeons give the same instructions for both surgeries, and to me, that is just a little bit lazy.   

I have chronic pain and take tramadol - same base as ibuprofen.  Before I got the Rx for it, I was on 800mg of ibuprofen.  

Call a nurse helpline if you are concerned. You will get conflicting info here.  Me - I am glad my surgeon differentiates between the surgeries he performs. 

Thanks so much for the info. I have seen the conflicting posts on here. I would normally avoid taking ibuprofen if possible .. but dang Im in a world of hurt and the tylenol isnt touching it.
Jackie00
on 11/10/12 3:24 am
I am going through so hard times with my back, my doctor has told me to take whatever I normally took for my back but switch the medication up after three days to a different type. I have been diagnosed with arthritis and protruding discs with the catscan. Was given symptoms to watch for, if I get any of them I am to head to emergency. My activity level is now limited, where he has okay'ed walking on flat surfaces, no hills which was basically my walking to and from work. Walking does trigger flare ups, but I have to keep moving and will do so until I am unable. The pain and other issues have sent me into a depression almost if not already there. Hopefully your back pain will go away, mine always did within a few weeks but this time it didn't that is why I had to go for xrays which lead me to need a catscan. Almost three months later and not much better yet.
Sleeved 15-Sept-2011 HW 294 Pre op weight 285 SW 279 GW 145?
Pre op 6 lbs lost, M1 - 23 lbs M2 - 11 lbs M3 - 12 M4 - 6 M5 -10 M6 -10 M7 -7 M8 - 4 M9 - 4
M10- 4 M11 - 5 M12 - 0

hollirrose
on 11/10/12 4:31 am
VSG on 04/21/12
Wow.. I sorry to hear of your back problems. I normally see a chiopractor a couple of times a year and I am all good. I have been doing the C25K and nearly fell in a hole in the sidewalk. I didnt fall but somehow put my back out of whack! I cant imaging living with this kind of pain for any lenght of time. Stay strong and I hope something changes for you soon.
Jackie00
on 11/10/12 8:08 am
Yeah I went on a 2 hr hike pushing a stroller up and down hills in August which caused this initial flare up. Was so disappointed when it flared and wouldn't go away. I stopped doing the c25k just because it was too hot at this time and was hoping to get back into it and now is the perfect time because it is freezing out but no ice on the walkways yet. I have a treadmill though and the dr wants me walking on flat surfaces so it looks like when there is ice out there I will be back to the bus and then using the treadmill for the walking. I am going to try the running again in doors to warm up I am so cold all the time. The Dr wanted to wait until my catscan to come up with a treatment plan after the initial xrays where the arthritis showed up, never mentioned a chiropractor at all just told me to watch for leg numbness (already had that a couple of times, didn't know to report right to emergency) can't void or loss of bowel control (so not looking forward to any of these) These symptoms are scary to hear and hopefully they will never happen, not sure what they mean though I didn't ask.
Sleeved 15-Sept-2011 HW 294 Pre op weight 285 SW 279 GW 145?
Pre op 6 lbs lost, M1 - 23 lbs M2 - 11 lbs M3 - 12 M4 - 6 M5 -10 M6 -10 M7 -7 M8 - 4 M9 - 4
M10- 4 M11 - 5 M12 - 0

slimpickins5280
on 11/10/12 3:44 am - CO

Ask your surgeon about Voltaren. It is a NSAID cream. I love it for my lower back pain. A little bit goes a long, long way. It's not ingested, and my surgeon said it was fine to use for my back.

Just know that it is an NSAID and your body still has to process it like one (i.e. kidneys). My surgeon said that since it is not ingested, the stomach is not affected by it. But, I do know that some doctors say that it can affect the stomach, just not to the degree of an NSAID pill.

Disclaimer: I'm not a doctor, nurse and I don't have any sort of job in the medical profession. PLEASE talk to YOUR surgeon before you take anything.

VSG 10/18/11      If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one.-Dolly Parton

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 68 views