any pre-op diet cheaters out there??

jan1114
on 11/9/12 10:49 pm

Just curious, not that I'm planning to cheat...but did any of you cave into the temptation to eat something not on the full liquid diet plan?  I just know myself and I'm doubtful I can go ten days without chewing on something!

IslandMomma
on 11/9/12 11:11 pm - Charlottetown, Canada
VSG on 05/10/12

NOPE...it just meant too much for me and if I got in there and there was "food" in my stomach...what would the surgern do??  Close me up??  Who knows but I wasn't willing to take that chance...PLUS our liquid plan allows for 4 shakes or bars a day...so when we order our shakes, we can order "peanut butter bars" too....so I made sure to order enough shakes for 3 a day then the rest in bars to give me something to chew...but honestly...by day 8-9, I was happy to have just the 2-3 shakes....and we are on the diet for 2 weeks...you will find the best way to have your shakes...icy cold, with flavor or what ever...but it is all good...think of the finish line and you will be good!!!!!

Congrats and good luck

beckyinkc
on 11/9/12 11:38 pm
VSG on 07/25/12

No, because I saw it as an opportunity to prove to myself that I could buckle down and do this.  (And I'm always terrified of the consequences of not complying - I didn't want surgery to be postponed.)

For people who missed chewing, I know I saw them post about getting crushed ice or something.  You can also mix your shakes with some ice to make them sorta crunchy, too.

notoriousgrannyD
on 11/9/12 11:42 pm
VSG on 10/16/12

honestly - yes.  I had 14 day liquid diet and I did cheat ...... with a pickle.  I thought I was losing my mind and was about to commit murder on my beautiful family so I decided that a pickle was the least of all evils. It was crunchy (for the chew), flavorful and had zero fat.  I only did it a couple of times in the first week as I wanted to be super clean on my second week. 

That's my confession.  Oh and I lost 15 lbs on those 14 days, my surgery was super terrific and my liver was small and lovely. 

BUT I did feel bad about myself for the lack of control and made me second guess on whether I could do this or not. I am almost 4 weeks out and the liquid diet was by far the hardest ... for me.  JMHO

. Surgery date OCTOBER 16th    
(deactivated member)
on 11/10/12 12:40 am
grannymedic1
on 11/10/12 12:44 am - Lake Odessa, MI
Revision on 08/21/12

The purpose of the pre-op diet is not just to clean us out but to shrink the liver, too. If they have to hold it up with a crane (lol) they will not complete the surgery. Too much risk. I only had to do one week because I had been losing weight and was a "light weight" anyway but that week was very hard. The first two days nearly drove me mad. I was starving, going through carb withdrawal, and generally felt like one big raw nerve. The rest got easier as I went. I, too, looked at it as an opportunity to begin my new lifestyle. The extra weight loss was nice, too. When I didn't lose anything but the water weight (I hope you know about that), for a full month at least I had that to cling to. Plus, I lost at least 2 clothing sizes and several inches.

The point is that the pre-op plan can only benefit you. Some do cheat but who are you really cheating? You can do this. I have seen some have to do as much as 4 weeks and make it.

Good luck

Highest weight: 212.8 Current weight 135 Lost 77.8 pounds

KnitsByMama
on 11/10/12 12:44 am, edited 11/10/12 12:45 am - MO
VSG on 10/16/12

Yes. Day 9 was hell for me and I completely and utterly screwed up. I was also however going cold turkey off my VERY addictive antidepressant so I'm sure some of it had to do that. Went to MCD's got 4 big macs, minus the meat (just buns, sauce, cheese & lettuce, I'm a vegetarian) and a large fry. I was so ashamed of myself. It taught me a lesson though and I used that and still use that episode as a source of strength now. I will never, ever be that person again. 

My surgery went fine, infact Dr. said it was "textbook" and that my liver looked great for someone my size. 

PrettyEyes_41
on 11/10/12 12:51 am - MS
VSG on 06/12/12

I was on one week of full liquids which was creamed soups, sf pudding, light yogurt and sf popsicles. I was fine that week. The second week was clear liquids only and even though temptation almost killed me I still made it. I sucked on sf hard candy and tic tacs and ice. It helped a lot. I wasn't letting anything postpone my surgery and had worked too hard to finally get approved to let it slip through my fingers because of my own weakness.

Gale     Age: 55, Height: 5' 5.5", HW: 236, SW: 210, 1st GW: 150.  Surgery BMI: 39.3  Extremely HBP, High Cholesterol & borderline diabetic.      

bobrfish
on 11/10/12 2:07 am - MN

My motivation not to cheat was based on desire to impress surgeon.  Did not want him to remember me as some yahoo with a huge liver.

I drank a lot of liquids though, mostly broth or instant breakfast.  My body demanded something and it was a good thing to be prepared with liquids.

karismommy231
on 11/10/12 2:34 am
VSG on 11/05/12

I'd like to preface this response to your post by saying my program requires a 24 hour clear liquid diet before surgery so there was no chance of any food in the stomach at the time of surgery. And in no way am I advocating "cheating" on your pre-op liquid diet.

I was on 2 weeks of optifast 800 bars, soups, and drinks pre-op. We were allowed to have 7 servings, but I mostly got in 5-6 servings. We were allowed to have cucumbers and lettuce and bell peppers also. The lettuce really helped and at lunch time I would have 1/2 cup romaine in a "salad" with 1 Tbsp Newman's Own Lite Asian Sesame dressing (even though we were only allowed red wine vinegar-yuk!) with my Optifast Tomato Soup. That filled me up!

I'm not a cucumber or bell pepper kinda gal but I did give in and have a pickle (cause they are cucumbers right? lol) the first couple of days in. Well the pickle tasted horrible! And I never had a pickle again.

I did cheat some with the Optifast Chicken Soup (it is horrible tasting) at dinner time by putting broccoli and 2 cut up Tyson Chicken Nuggets in it. I didn't do the chicken every night, especially towards the end, but I did do the broccoli until the last evening before I started my 24 hour clear liquid diet for surgery.

Four days before surgery I was invited out to Bob Evans and didn't know what to order (also the ppl with me didn't know I was having surgery or was on Optifast). So I ordered Chicken Broccoli Alfredo and took a few bites of chicken breast, a few bites of broccoli and a couple bites of noodles with sauce. BAD MISTAKE. I felt horrible afterwards! So nauseated. After that I just stuck to my Optifast up to surgery and was ok.

I had no problems during surgery. Dr. Z said it was actually boring except for my Hiatial hernia and even that was routine for him. I didn't have a fatty liver, it was normal (but I was also borderline for my BMI to even qualify for the surgery so fatty liver wasn't an issue).

Your journey is your own. GL.

HW: 235, SW: 227, CW: 152.0, 83 lbs lost since 10/22/12 --Fear less, hope more, eat less, chew more, whine less, breathe more, talk less, say more, hate less, love more, and good things will be yours.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 168 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 446 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 466 views