post-op struggles

mokee
on 12/3/12 7:00 pm - OH

I need some help or advice.  I am one week out from surgery.  I can barely get enough protein in and only 40 oz of liquids.  I lost 15 lbs pre-op and gained 6 lbs after surgery.  I have only lost 4 of the 6 gain this first week.  I am so tired and weak.  My legs and ankles and feet are swelling up.  Anyone else have this experience? 

abeautifulday21
on 12/3/12 8:42 pm
VSG on 11/26/12
I am 8 days out and have not had the same struggle but I wanted to post as it sounds like you have dehydration going on. I would call my doc. I basically force fluids all day long w time out for my 6 2oz servings of 10 grams of protein. It is a full time job. Prayers and hugs. If you cannot get in your fluids call your doc before things get worse.
abeautifulday21    
morgans
on 12/3/12 9:19 pm
VSG on 06/18/12

Focus first and foremost on getting water in. Dehydration is no joke and could involve an emergency room trip. Don't worry about your protein for a few days - just drink water water water (or whatever sugar-free beverage you can tolerate).

And call your doctor - a weight gain like that and swelling legs and ankles is the sign of something not right.

Nancybefree
on 12/3/12 9:35 pm, edited 12/4/12 2:56 am
VSG on 11/21/12 with

Please call your doctor.  Those are definitely symptoms that he needs to hear about.

In the meantime, as others have said, try getting as much liquid in as you can.  Try warm versus cold, whatever your sleeve likes better, but try to get the fluids in.  If you have one of those little medicine cups at home like you would measure liquid medicine into, fill that up one ounce at a time and then kitten-sip it if you have to, just to get that in.  Then do another and another.  It's very important to get that in.

At this point hydration is key.

5'8"    HRW 357 on 7/09/12    SW 339   >196 8/26/13 (surgeon's goal)   TWL  193     CW   164 

*:•-:¦:-•:*1st pers. goal 178 on 10/16/13; ultimate goal 164 on 12/13/13*:•-:¦:-•:* 

SuzyNZ
on 12/4/12 1:08 am, edited 12/4/12 9:08 am
VSG on 09/17/12
Fluids should be your focus for the moment. They are more important than protein at this point. I gained 8 pounds after surgery and it was 10 days before it was gone again, so don't worry at all about the weight gain after surgery. It's all fluids and gas etc.

I was so bloated after surgery I looked like the marshmellow man from ghostbusters. I even took a photo of my fat knees as they looked so funny! Again, this is not uncommon.

But dehydration will cause fluid retention, so please just focus on getting your fluids in as this will help your body regulate and stop holding on to fluids.

I promise it will go away! By two weeks, my ankle and knee bones had returned

Suzy wink (Age: 41, Height: 6'1,  SW: 169.4kg/372lb.  CW: 80.5kg/177lb.  Total lost: 88.9kg/195lbs)

lani069
on 12/10/12 1:38 am
Thx. Have spoken to dr office. Had tea and it was nice so going to some warm fluids. My cream of wheat was not agreeing i think it might have been to thick. Comp down just getting to email
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 177 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 451 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 475 views