Protein

mokee
on 12/6/12 1:17 pm - OH

Question:  can you mix the protein powders with milk or with your favorite crystal light and freeze and then make a slushy out of it?   Does the freezing affect the protein any?   I am having a lot of trouble getting them down anymore so I bought some of the no flavor but it still had a consistency about it.  I having trouble eating, getting down the protein and drinking enough fluids.  I am 1 week out.  The most calories I have gotten in a day is 335 and I am so weak.

Calking
on 12/6/12 1:36 pm
VSG on 05/31/12

The problem that you are having with the protein shake is the consistency?  If so the solution is to get something that is 100% Whey Protein Isolate.  These tend to mix very well adding only slightly to it's thickening.  Isopure and About Time are two brands I have tried and to me they are actually too thinly made.  Another one that I haven't tried is the Body Fortress that you can buy at Walmart for about $22.  Body Fortress makes two different mixes.  One says simply Whey Protein and is about $15 while the more expensive one says Whey Protein Isolate.  I think that these may help.  They are so thinly mixed that I actually prefer to add Xanthan Gum to thicken it to a milkshake consistency.  

Really not sure about the slushy thing but my best guess is that you can do that without messing with the protein.  I did find an old post in this forum that says you can ... http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/rny/3884024/Is-it-ok-to-fr eeze-protein-shakes-Looking-for-a-scientific/  There is even an extremely scientific explanation that may prove helpful.  This was an old post.

Good luck.

Isn’t it a bit unnerving that doctors call what they do their “practice”?  -  George Carlin             

(deactivated member)
on 12/6/12 1:38 pm

Yes, go ahead and mix your protein powder in any liquid that is approved by your surgeon. I use almond milk regularly, but early out used milk to get extra calories. Making a slushy is a great idea. There are recipes for frozen protein drinks and protein ice cream at http://www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

Check it out. Good luck.

You will feel better soon. Just give yourself some time. Everyone heals differently.

califsleevin
on 12/6/12 1:45 pm - CA

I usually use milk as the basis for my protein shakes, and often keep an ice cube tray of frozen milk in the freezer for making them - about half and half frozen and liquid milk along with the powder in the blender and frappe away. Or, more often these days I just make it up in a pint or 20 oz plastic bottle and leave it in the freezer for half an hour or so, then take it in a cooler for after my training sessions.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 177 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 451 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 475 views