Older Sleevers

mokee
on 12/13/12 1:51 am - OH

I am 2 weeks post-op and I am 66 years old.  Wow am I having a time of it.  Today I finally got in the car and ran an erond.  I went to grocery and picked up a roast to fix my husband for supper.  I have not cooked for him in awhile.  I thought I would supprise him.  But I got so whipped just walking around the grocery for 5 minutes.  I am home now and feel like I want to take a nap. 

I am getting in between 300-400 cal a day; 50-60 protein; 48-72 oz liquid. 

When does this get better.  I still have Xmas shopping to do and I have tried going out with someone and oh it is so hard.  I feel so bad.

I never thought it would be this hard.  I have lost 29 lbs since pre-op and getting into clothes that I haven't worn in 2 years but is it worth it.  I have missed 2 Xmas parties because they were just resturants and I can not handle that yet.  I have Xmas eve with the whole family and have to prepare for that also.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Machelle.K
on 12/13/12 2:04 am - WA
VSG on 11/06/12

Although I’m 50 and I too tried grocery shopping week 2 and was exhausted! However, things changed about mid way through week 3 and I had a little more energy, I paced myself though even if that meant half way through my outing day I went home for a quick nap. Remember your body is healing from major surgery, your food intake is very low and your body is in shock. Don’t be so hard on yourself or your body as it needs the rest to heal. I also did easy stuff on line Christmas shopping to make it easier on those things I didn’t need to put my hands on first. I’m now 5 weeks out and really feeling some energy this week. However I still sleep about 8-9 hours each night.

Machelle 11/6/2012 with Dr. Houseworth WA

desertmom
on 12/13/12 2:10 am - Dubai, XX
VSG on 03/13/12
I aslo felt like death warmed over at 2 weeks out.You will have to be patient and take it easy.Let the husband fix his own dinner,lol.

Nap when you need to.Rest,relax.Next years christmas parties will be gr8,you'll be skinny!

Just take it easy for now.It gets better when you start eating again.

Rita M.
on 12/13/12 2:19 am - Webster, MA

I am 52 and I am exactly 2 weeks post-op today. I did venture out a couple times with my DH to walk and so forth and go shopping but after 15 min I was done. I mean stick a fork in me, done. 

I feel tired a lot and I do get my rest. Fortunately I don't work so I can take time out to rest when ever I want or need it. And I think it just takes time and patience. The more mature your body is I think the longer it takes. We are not spring chickens right? We don't bounce back like a 25 year olds. I will give it 4 weeks and see. I am sure we will be so much better in 2 more weeks.

Hang in there Darling.

Hugs,

Rita

Nikki_9
on 12/13/12 3:13 am - Canada

I'm knocking on 50 and have the opportunity to take time off from work. By the end of the first week I turned a positive corner. Now I am ok for brief outings, drive to get a few groceries, then home. Have a friend over for coffee, then rest. Because I am not doing much during the day, sleeping at night is a bit of a struggle now too. Waiting, impatiently, to get to the next level of the diet adding fish etc .

Life is not about finding yourself, Life is about creating yourself.

Izabelle G.
on 12/13/12 3:25 am - Cheltenham, PA
VSG on 10/15/12

I am 31 years old and at 2 weeks i was exhausted all the time. I think what you are going through is normal. However, with time it got better. You lose the weight and you get the bouts of energy you will need.

I am walking 60 Miles in 3 Days to fight cancer! Donate today!!

http://www.the3day.org/goto/igomes

Surgery 10/15/12 - HW-263lbs GW-150lbs CW- 170.8

Mom4Jazz
on 12/13/12 4:22 am, edited 12/13/12 4:22 am

Your body is expending all of it's available energy healing. I started to turn the corner energy wise after a few weeks.

I think sometimes surgeons' offices do patients a disservice in not making sure they clearly understand that this is major surgery and surgical recuperation is hard on the body. Any surgery, not just weight loss surgery.

Many of us went through the stage you're in right now. It does get better soon. Honest.

I was 49 when I had surgery, by the way.

Highest weight: 335 lbs, BMI 50.9
Pre-op weight: 319 lbs, BMI 48.5
Current range: 140-144, BMI 21.3 - 22

175+ lbs lost, maintaining since February 2012

Donna B.
on 12/13/12 4:40 am

I felt tired round the clock for the first several months.  What you are experiencing is not unusual. 

I would tell your family members that you are not doing holiday preparations and cooking but that next year you will be able to contribute.  Let everyone else doing the cooking and have your husband help you with the cleaning.  You really need to take care of yourself and put yourself first these first few months following surgery, and even after that you need help.  We are not youngsters anymore and your husband and family and friends need to learn that.

You are not eating the stimulating foods of sugar and chocolate, so at times you will feel low energy in comparison to the past.  Your energy will improve over time.

I hope you feel better.  Please get some rest.  Eat nutrient dense foods.  Pamper yourself and get your husband to help you.  The holidays have a way of making everyone feel overwhelmed and create have-to's but you really don't have to do it all.  Set limits to what you will do.

Donna

55 y.o.    5'4"      HW: 180's      CW: 127      Doctor's GW: 130           My GW:  117        

~ working on reaching goal again after regain            

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 177 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 451 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 475 views