Week 2 tummy wants everything

Gigicolorado
on 12/14/12 8:17 am

I am 10 days post surgery and I have been struggling with wanting to try everything not on the full liquids stage.  I talked to my doctor and he said I can start soft food stage.  Thank goodness because I need some protein to sit in my tummy for awhile.  I think the soups are killing my weightless at the moment.  Scale has not moved in 4 days.  I am down 20 pounds, 10 pre-op.  

i am wondering if other people had a super quick tummy recovery?  Nothing makes me sick.....so is it ok to move to more sold proteins earlier?  I don't want to cause some sort of damage.

texasrigdiver
on 12/14/12 8:32 am - TX
DS on 11/29/12

Not sure if my stomach recovered fast but I do agree that after 16 days of being on full liquids(little bit of cheating, not much, on softs) full soups go down so quickly and theres so little restriction with them I'm wondering if its affecting my weight loss to.

"...the sun is the same in a relative way but were older, shorter of breath, and one day closer to death..." Pink Floyd 

LilySlim Weight charts

M1(22);                                        

Gigicolorado
on 12/14/12 11:21 am

I hear ya.  I could drink soup all day long.  Those calories will add up.  I need to just focus on water.

foolishgrrl_1
on 12/14/12 8:33 am
VSG on 03/11/13

I'm glad to hear you are feeling well enough to want to try things, but please keep in mind that your new tummy is not healed at this point.  Please follow your doctor's instructions for your well being, so you can be healthy and your new tummy will love you for it!

Good luck with the hungries, I'll be rooting for you! 

Katyfbradley
on 12/14/12 8:38 am - FL
VSG on 09/18/12

I had my surgery on sept 18th you really need to give your stomach time eat the soft foods dont rush into the solids take your time.

MuttLover
on 12/14/12 9:11 am
VSG on 11/14/12

I know what you mean -- I posted a couple of weeks ago (about 2.5 weeks out) that my sleeve was a food ****! So far, that remains true! Soft foods and purees open up a whole new world.  Basically, on my plan, anything that was very soft and mushy (tuna, stewed chicken, etc) was OK, and if I had the least bit of doubt, my test was to rub a bit of the meat between my fingers, and if it fell apart, as in practically disentigrated, then that was OK.  And if in doubt, puree it until it's in little pieces!

Here's my plan, and compared to others, it's pretty quick -- so I'd recommend sticking to your surgeon's plan, since it's pretty comparatively pretty agressive.

2 days after you go home from surgery -- clear liquids

1 week - full liquids

1 week -- purees

2 weeks - soft foods (tuna, fish, stewed chicken, etc).

then move to solids

Also -- you just had surgery. Chances are you are not going to lose every day or every couple of days all the time.  You'll see many people lament the Week 3 stall -- your body is just getting used to what happened to you!  So don't panic!

However, we eat out a lot, and I think that, plus using a lot of prepared soups, causes us to retain fluids.  I wasn't too worried about that in the beginning because I didn't want to become dehydrated.  But now that I'm past that, I'm trying to make my own soups as much as possible, or just use a little bit of prepared soups for flavoring on my meat.

Also, my understanding is that all of the nerves in our stomachs haven't yet healed -- so we could do damage without fully realizing it. 

It's only a couple of weeks until solids, and now that you have soft proteins, you should be able to make it!

Starting weight: 260; Surgery Weight: 250; Month 1: -15.6; Month 2: -11.8; Month 3: -11.4;  Month 4: -7.4  Month 5: -8.6; Month 6: -3; Month 7 -3.8; Month 8 -7; Month 9: stall; Month 10: -4.4; Month 11: - 2.6; Month 12:-3.4

Gigicolorado
on 12/14/12 11:24 am

My plan,(Kaiser), is pretty similar but soft foods are 4 weeks.  Seems like a long time.  I like the between the fingers example.  I will keep that in mind.

SuzyNZ
on 12/14/12 9:33 am, edited 12/14/12 5:33 pm
VSG on 09/17/12
You MUST follow your plan. It's there for a reason and you do not want to risk damaging your stomach at this early stage.

It is not your tummy that wants to eat. It's your head. Ignore it, or find something to distract it.

Not eating protein and only drinking soups has nothing to do with your stalled weight loss. All I ate was veggie broth (absolutely no protein as I can't do shakes) for the first 3 weeks. Your body has lost a lot of weight very quickly and is taking a few days to regroup. Stalls, even early ones, are commonplace, as are slight weight gains during this process. The scale will not go down every day. Learn to deal with it, or stay off the scale and only weigh once a week or less.

I repeat again, because its so important, DO NOT eat things not on your plan. This healing phase is short in the grand scheme of our new lives and its just not worth risking your health.

Suzy wink (Age: 41, Height: 6'1,  SW: 169.4kg/372lb.  CW: 80.5kg/177lb.  Total lost: 88.9kg/195lbs)

Gigicolorado
on 12/14/12 11:27 am

I had no idea that I would have this head hunger.  It's been difficult to deal with.

Good advice....I really need to hide my scale and get on with my life.

Kelli M.
on 12/14/12 11:12 am - CA
VSG on 12/04/12

I'm also 10 days out and recovering VERY well. I drink tons of water at whatever temperature I find fit. I haven't thrown up, or felt any really bad pains, just gas bubbles. My doctor also allowed me to move on to soft foods. I was feeling a bit apprehensive about my fantastic recovery, but if things are that way for you too, I feel less nervous about it.

Kelli

Most Active