1 Wk Out - Went to Zumba and...

Bekahre7
on 12/18/12 11:19 pm

I made it through class, but was just EXHAUSTED afterward!  And not being able to gulp water was torture (by the way, how can we not EVER gulp again when you need more water during exercise????).  I'm pretty lethargic today...so, maybe I'll stick to just walking for a while.  

vogue
on 12/18/12 11:32 pm
VSG on 08/30/12

I cant gulp but I can drink thru a straw well enough.... causes me no issues...  also, I keep crushed ice in my cup so I take about a half mouthful and let melt in my mouth as I exercise....I do this even while driving, etc when Im exceptionally thirsty

COngrats on ZUMBA, no way on earth could I have done that at one week out though now I have some muscle atrophy and wish I had did it regardless

ladytiff
on 12/18/12 11:32 pm - PA
VSG on 10/17/12
Wow, thats a lot for 1 week out. Were u released from the dr to do that yet? Mr dr didnt release me to do anything but walk for the 1st month. Remember u just had major surgery so take ur time. I asked my dr the same thing abt gulping lol. He said as my tummy healed i wld be able to. I can take a bigger gulp now than i cld b4
vogue
on 12/18/12 11:37 pm
VSG on 08/30/12
On December 19, 2012 at 7:32 AM Pacific Time, ladytiff wrote:
Wow, thats a lot for 1 week out. Were u released from the dr to do that yet? Mr dr didnt release me to do anything but walk for the 1st month. Remember u just had major surgery so take ur time. I asked my dr the same thing abt gulping lol. He said as my tummy healed i wld be able to. I can take a bigger gulp now than i cld b4

my Dr said I could do anything aerobically, just not lift anything more than 5 lbs the first week, 10 lbs for 3 weeks after that....after a month play it by ear

Bekahre7
on 12/18/12 11:48 pm

I received some mixed messages on exercise. My surgeon said I could do whatever I feel comfortable doing, while the nurse said to limit it to walking.  I felt really good, so I did Zumba.  But because I'm so exhausted from it, I'm going to hold off for a bit.  The worst part was not being able to gulp water. Before surgery, I could probably down 3/4 of a bottle of water during class.

slimpickins5280
on 12/19/12 12:56 am - CO

I know, trust me I know, how badly you want to be one of the Before and After folks. I'm over a year out and am STILL one of the before people and it's annoying as hell.

You made a good choice in pursuing WLS. Don't ruin it by overdoing your activity so early after surgery.

The best thing you can do for yourself at this point is really learn to listen to your body.

VSG 10/18/11      If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one.-Dolly Parton

Ms Shell
on 12/19/12 3:09 am - Hawthorne, CA

Please be careful (my Zumba class included alot of twisted and semi jumping) because your abdominal wall has been compromised and the LITTLEST thing can cause a hernia to develop.  Which might not be a problem today but years from now.

Ms Shell

"WLS is only for people who are ready to move past the "diet" mentality" ~Alison Brown
"WLS is not a Do-Over (repeat same mistakes = get a similar outcome.)  It is a Do-BETTER (make lifestyle changes you can continue forever.)" ~ Michele Vicara aka Eggface

Bekahre7
on 12/19/12 4:18 am

I understand.  :) I was actually kind of half-a$$ing it, so that I wouldn't get injured. Plus, I wasn't completely sure of my limits, so I kept it low-impact. 

Izabelle G.
on 12/19/12 4:53 am - Cheltenham, PA
VSG on 10/15/12

I'm impressed even if phoning it in it is more than i had energy for at 1 week out.

I am walking 60 Miles in 3 Days to fight cancer! Donate today!!

http://www.the3day.org/goto/igomes

Surgery 10/15/12 - HW-263lbs GW-150lbs CW- 170.8

(deactivated member)
on 12/19/12 1:06 pm
VSG on 06/04/12

I would be careful at 1 week out doing any large amount of exercising that could cause you to sweat thus leading to dehydration because you can't take in enough water at this time.  There will be plenty of time in the future for all the exercise you want but for now your priority should be on the water and protein intake.  At 1 week I was on the treadmill but at a light walk and no sweating.

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 0 replies · 19 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 0 replies · 19 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 194 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 279 views