Post Sleevers...I've got a question

nmcmanus66
on 12/30/12 9:39 am - CA

We all know the reasons why each of us got overweight. For me, I over eat and I eat the wrong foods. So as of January 21, 2013 that's going to all change for me. But I've found that since my surgery was approved  a couple of weeks ago, I've fallen off the wagon and have not been doing the pre-wls diet the dr. had me on. I have this mid set that these are my last days and I'll be better af the surgery. I know that's wrong!! Any advice - suggestions for now but more importantly following the surgery to fix my head?? Counseling? support meetings?

lucy2e
on 12/30/12 9:45 am - Laurel, MD

Sounds like you are having some food funerals - thinking I'm never gonna have this again... 

Now I realize that I didn't need any funerals - nothing died!  It was more like a break-up with a bad boyfriend.  We had an unhealthy relationship and then we broke up.  We still see each other from time to time, but its not the same any more - he doesn't have that power over me anymore lol!

Try and change you point of view about your relationship with the food!

Lucy  (Imma Loser!)
  LilySlim Weight loss tickers                  
HW 335 SW 311 CW 181.2 -- Goals:  Twoderville - 6/7/11, 280 - 7/1/11, 260 - 8/1/11, 240 - 10/30/11 Centry Club - 11/22/11, 220 - 12/27/11 Onederland - 5/25/12, 180 - , 170 (surgeons goal) -  
We shall see where this leads...  

VSGFoodie
on 12/30/12 12:39 pm
VSG on 01/16/13

Thank you! I just posted about food funerals. You're right - it's exactly like a bad relationship.

Jarisaunt
on 12/30/12 9:48 am - CA
VSG on 08/21/12
I know what you are talking about. Before surgery I ate like it was going out of style, like I was never going to taste food again or something after the surgery. News flash: you can eat the same things post surgery that you could before-- just not nearly as much. I doubt you will want to eat a lot of crappy foods, however. This is major surgery and you're having it for a reason. But don't think you'll never be able to eat a cupcake (or whatever your poison) again because you can. Just calm down and follow your Dr.s instructions.

Height: 5'5"  2 wks pre-op: -15  M1: -20  M2: -18  M3: -12  M4: -13  M5: -8 M6: -10 M7: -2 M8: -10 M9: -4 M10: 0 M11: -3 M12: -3 M13: -14 Start Wt:290 SurgWt:275 (BMI 46) Current Wt:145 (BMI 24) Goal:140 (BMI 23.3)

smashlee
on 12/30/12 9:59 am
VSG on 12/17/12
I had food funerals. Although it was more of a "goodbye for now" and not forever for a lot of things. Obvious things will be a "no" out of common sense but everything doesn't have to go away forever.

What I did (and still do) is think how I could make what I wanted better.
For example, this morning I sooooo wanted McDonalds egg mcmuffin. So greasy and nasty. Now, I couldn't have it today if my life depended on it (I'm only 2 weeks out) but instead I planned I would have made a bit of egg, a turkey sausage party, and maybe a bit of cheese at home instead. Lots of protein and the taste I wanted. So much better for me!

I make it a game now.
***Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the places and moments that take our breath away. - Anonymous

jenlaur1
on 12/30/12 11:24 am - Westborough, MA
VSG on 08/19/13

I'm not there yet.  Hopefully in February.  But, I'm having that brain war with my stomach too.  Especially with the holiday having come and gone.  I think about how I'm going to change my way of eating.  I have the band, but no fill now. So, I'm hungry a lot more now.  It's been real difficult for me to not eat myself out of house and home and it's been hard for me to eat the small portions the band is supposed to help me with.  With no fill, I feel like I could eat a foot long grinder.  I won't..but I want to.  I think that even though we're going to have the sleeve..we'll still have the 'demon' foods to battle.  The choice is do we eat that cupcake or that candy bar or that delicious plate of shrimp alfredo?. :) lol  I think..like most diets and in our case..a way of life..you can have those things, but you have to put it in your mind and make a habit out of eating small amounts of it and be satisfied with that amount.  I gather, from reading the posts, that at first it is very difficult to get much in at all.  And that'll take care of it for us..but once our stomach has healed and we're allowed full access to any foods...that's when we have to be smart and thinking along the lines of the consequences of eating more than we should and eating the treats more than we should.  I've joined a gym and I'd like to think that once I've gotten the gym to be my 'habit' that when I've indulged in something a little extra, that I'll be able to work it off and not worry too much on it.  I would say..that for you.counseling and support meetings...maybe doing both will help for now and you can scale back as you get a handle on things as time goes on..so, I wish you the best and I bet you will do just fine now and after your surgery. :)

Cathy

Highest Wt: 264, band May '05, pre sleeve wt 235, current 189, personal goal 140

Machelle.K
on 12/30/12 11:44 am - WA
VSG on 11/06/12

My dr gave me some good advice and much like has been posted. It's not that you won't eat that food again, because you will, however though I've had cravings I've satisfied them in other creative ways. I'm sure I'll have something someday that is greasy and disgusting, but in the mean time it just doesn't appeal to me, and what I do eat now doesn't really taste all that great. So I eat because I need to, not necessarily for the taste. Please keep in mind I'm not a bad cook as everyone else likes my cooking, but my taste buds are not the same (figure that out?). Having my taste off a bit has help considerably. I do have head hunger which I just stick to my eating plan. I have had dreams of eating food, which finally have passed.

I'd stick to your plan provided as the more you adjust now the easier this will be in getting your head where your body will be. I'd say if there is something you must have go have it and get it over with, but then wipe it off the list. I hope this helps.

Machelle 11/6/2012 with Dr. Houseworth WA

busboss1
on 12/30/12 12:39 pm
VSG on 12/18/12

My surgeon would not have operated had I gained weight. He told me the reason you have to lose is to shrink your liver so the surgeon has an easier time. Think of your health and the fact you want this surgery to be a go and to be successful. Try to think about putting yourself in the best position for your surgery to be successful. If your surgeon is like mine and you go to the hospital for surgery, he may send you home if you gained. I listened and lost 11 pounds and I am recovering nicely. That food will still be there when you're done. You'll be able to eat it in moderation at that time. Be happy and good luck!

Starting weight-244.4   Currently-145.2   Surgeon goal-150   My own goal-140        

joannalu_1970
on 12/30/12 12:49 pm - CA
VSG on 01/29/13

I'm getting sleeved on the 21st too!!  Good luck, I hope you have a very easy recovery! 

gberges
on 12/30/12 9:08 pm - NJ

Hello, I am new to the site and wanted to share, i was sleeved on 12.20.12 and weighed 225 before surgery and I am currently 203. I have lots of head hunger, but I know that I will be able to eat my favorite food eventually.

But before surgery I went on a tour of the world, it was easy since I am in foodservice, I have to remember that I am not loosing my food but gaining a healthy body and living longer.

I have been looking at all of my favorite food this past two weeks and remaking them in a healthy way therefore giving myself something to look forward too. I wont lie it has been hard I am still cooking for my family and my oldest child brings home Chinese food home 3 days out of the week, but I tell myself that I will be able to eat it it again, just not as much.

G

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 92 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 314 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 362 views