depressed

jmarshall727
on 1/4/13 10:09 pm

I didn't go into this with any specific expectations, I just knew I do not have an eating problem, and I got my sleeve right at the exact mark that was required.  So overall I don't have as much weight to lose as most who get weight loss surgery and I am not an over eater.  I guess I figured I would get this sleeve lose all my weight very fast and everything would be rainbows and butterflies... 

I hit the dreaded 3 week stall at a week out... and although it has only been 3 weeks now, the scale does not budge, except when I went up a pound! I had to lose 20 pounds before the surgery, and lost 10 after, so that makes 30 pounds lost, strike that, 29 pounds lost so far, which is great! but I don't really notice a change in my body, I am still wearing my size 16 jeans and all my "fat" clothes... my watch is lose, so apparently just my wrist is losing weight...

I know it is still early, but I can't help but be discouraged, I am crying all the time, and I hate to get compliments. Because I am just not feeling good about myself. 

Is depression normal after the surgery, or am I just crazy?

Sad Face

sleevegirl
on 1/4/13 10:13 pm - Austin, TX

Hormones are crazy after surgery. Estrogen is held in fat and it's released rapidly after surgery - and then there's the whole mental aspect of surgery too. It's a tough first couple of months for most people.

I won't argue about why you got overweight, but I would encourage you to seek out counseling if you're feeling depressed. The VAST majority of us didn't get overweight/obese because we were hungry. A few do, of course, have real metabolic disorders, etc but for most folks there's an underlying cause.

Just my 12 cents. Feel free to ignore the last paragraph :) xoxo

Candy from Austin, TX  |   Website  |  MyFitnessPal  |  My OH Blog

5'6" / HW 375 / SW 355 / CW 150 / Maintaining 155-159 - Goal Reached! 225 Pounds Lost

jmarshall727
on 1/4/13 10:24 pm

Thank you so much for the feedback,  I wouldn't put my stuff out there if I didn't  welcome all opinions!

A little history... I started on the depo shot about 10 years ago because I have endometriosis, and that helped control the pain.  Although I was pain free, I started to gain weight from the hormones.  Once I gained about 50 pounds, (I was a size 4), I stopped the shot, because ot the weight gain I then developed PCOS which makes it super hard to lose weight.  Which is a hormone imbalance, that causes insulin resistance.  I have been battling this weight issue for 10 years now.  The whole underlying issue with me is that I am Fat! And I don't want to be anymore.... Which is causing the depression, it is as simple as that.

sleevegirl
on 1/4/13 10:47 pm - Austin, TX

Sounds like you know the "why". If you're feeling like you want to and your insurance covers it, still wouldn't hurt to see a therapist once or twice. I dunno, I went into this in a lot of denial, myself, so... yeah. LOL! We work on all kinds of stuff these days. She keeps me from going over a cliff sometimes with things unrelated to WLS so I just figure we all could use a little therapy.

But yeah, those hormones can mess you up :( Sorry you are dealing with it. I promise it gets a lot better and a lot easier. Just hang in there and ride it out if you feel like you can. In 2 weeks or so, this will all be a distant memory, I'm sure!

Candy from Austin, TX  |   Website  |  MyFitnessPal  |  My OH Blog

5'6" / HW 375 / SW 355 / CW 150 / Maintaining 155-159 - Goal Reached! 225 Pounds Lost

jmarshall727
on 1/4/13 11:10 pm

Thank you so much! I really just need a little boost today, and it means a lot to me that you are willing to take time out of your day to write some encouraging words to me.  It helps a ton!

I know this too shall pass, and I can't wait to be the one to encourage others on their journey's, but for now, thanks for the encouragment!!!

Not such a sad face, lol

MomofMarch
on 1/4/13 10:52 pm - GA

I was told with my PCOS (with insulin resistance as well), I would probably lose it slower than someone my size that DIDN'T have it. The Depo shot has messed up a lot of people that I know. It's not an easy battle to fight. The PCOS makes it hard to lose the weight, but the weight makes the PCOS worse. I know your pain! Do your doctors have you on any birth controls at the moment? Mine had me on BC pills and Metformin to try to get things under control. You can send me a private message if you want to.

Laura- HW:240  SW: 224  GW:165 Surgery date 12/10/12

Winning the battle against obesity and PCOS!

jmarshall727
on 1/4/13 11:17 pm

oh wow, I am glad I am not alone!! Not that I am happy you know my pain!! lol I feel like nobody understands, and the more I try to explain, sometimes it sounds to them like I am making excuses!

I am currently not taking anything right now, I have tried low estrogen BC, and metformin.... But I am whole hardily against BC... but at the same time I know my body needs "adjustments" so when I start to feel a little crazy, I will go on them for a month or two to balance out, then come right back off...

I know sometimes my estrogen will spike really high, and if what sleevegirl said is true about the estrogen being released as we lose weight, that would explain a lot!! 

That is good to know about the slower weight lose with PCOS nobody told me that before... Now that I know that, It makes me more aware that it is going to take a little longer!

MomofMarch
on 1/4/13 11:25 pm - GA

lol I know what you mean! Sometimes having someone that can fully relate makes a world of difference. Since the surgery, I haven't been on any meds because they want to see how my hormones level out as I lose weight. Just be forewarned that with weight loss comes a big change in hormones, and that includes what goes on in your mind. Let your doc know if something isn't right. You know your body. My best friend has to have the BC pills because she gets extremely mad and well, kind of crazy, when hers isn't handled.

MomofMarch
on 1/4/13 10:13 pm - GA

Hon, it's not depression, it's having the wrong expectations. At 2 weeks out, I stalled at 210 (surgery weight was 224). I thought that this wasn't working and started wondering if I had done the right thing. Those with less to lose often lose it slower. My starting weight put me at needing to lose 110 lbs. Now, at almost 4 weeks out, I've dropped another 5 lbs. I tell everyone to get a measuring tape and check your bust, waist, hips, arms, thighs, and even your neck. Keep track of it! Most of the time if you aren't losing lbs, you ARE losing inches. Chin up! You're doing great!

KELLY H.
on 1/4/13 11:17 pm - Greenbrier, TN
VSG on 12/26/12

It's terrible what the mind does. I lost 10 lbs my first week out from surgery but the last 3 days the scales haven't moved. I am eating less than 400 calories a day but in my mind I am thinking "what if I am the one that won't lose weight?" 

I've read it over and over on this board - will I be the one that won't lose any weight?  Did I do something wrong? Apparently, sometimes the scale doesn't represent what's really going on. I hope so at least because it's depressing me too! 

Good luck!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 69 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 254 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 321 views