Yes, another question about acid reflux pre-op vs. post-op

susan1277
on 1/7/13 2:39 am - OH
RNY on 06/10/13 with

Ok, I had posted the other day that I found out I may not be a candidate for the sleeve surgery.  My acid reflux is up to my collar bones and is considered severe.  I know Rny will help reduce the acid reflux, but for all the reasons I want the sleeve are the reasons I really don't want the Rny.  I have scheduled another visit with my WLS surgeon to speak with him about it.  He is going to take a closer look at the upper GI and talk to me about my options.  I have done some research on here and it seems to be a crap shoot as to whos gets worse and whos gets better.  I did ask the nurse if there is a hiatal hernia and they said I do not have one. 

At this point, I take Prilosec every day and generally have no symptoms.  If I sleep on my stomach and I'm laying flat, I get acid.  Otherwise, none.

For those that have acid reflux without a hernia, how has yours done after surgery??  Has the size of your sleeve made a difference in the reflux?

Rny 6/10/13            Highest Weight 343           Surgery Weight 306

synthangel
on 1/7/13 2:58 am - NV
VSG on 11/02/12

My surgeon said he uses a size 40f bougie to help prevent acid.

I do not have acid reflux and I didn't have it before (accept when I was pregnant) Not sure if that helps much. I am sure some others will way in :)

fiefx5
on 1/10/13 2:32 am

Okay I'm new so I have to ask... what is a bougie?  I saw an earlier post and had no clue, now I see it again so I thought I'd ask.

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 1/7/13 3:32 am
VSG on 10/09/12
Same here...I had very rare reflux when I ate really super rich food pre op and when I was pregnant. I did have a hiatal hernia and my surgeon repaired that at the same time as he did the sleeve. He also does a loose 38f bougie to prevent nausea (I didn't have any) and acid reflux, which I have had once in the three months since surgery, again when I ate something very rich (marrow bone) and it was a very tiny reflux, like a baby barf. I do not take a PPI.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

suzie2241
on 1/7/13 4:08 am
VSG on 11/02/12

I had acid reflux pre surgery - was taking omeprazole 20mg 1x day. My surgeon has me on it 2x a day (he said for 3-4 mos then we'll wean me off).

I get the reflux at night - especially if I go to bed too soon after eating (before 3  hours). I do not have it much during the day, unless I eat too fast.

nieba
on 1/7/13 4:16 am - Rialto, CA
VSG on 09/04/12 with

I had GERD going in. My doc said that as long as I could control it with medicine, he would do the VSG. I did and he did. I am now 18 weeks out and I still have it. But instead of food triggers like before, I get acid throat if I don't take a Zantac before I go to sleep. I also take Zegrid (Prilosec with Sodium Bicarbonate) every day. I have no other problems. If someone asked me if I got better or worse after surgery, I would have to say a little worse, however it is also different triggers now too.

Good Luck!

Jennifer B.
(Can't wait to meet the new me!)

HW: 288  SW: 270.2   CW: 199.8  GW: 170-180   Hgt: 5'10" 

Yocie
on 1/7/13 6:28 am
VSG on 11/06/12

I had it prior to surgery and took a Prilosec every day. I have to say at this point 2 months out, it has actually gotten worse and had to switch to 2 Zantac a day.  I'm hoping time takes care of it.

Good luck, I hope things work out OK for you.

susan1277
on 1/7/13 11:51 am - OH
RNY on 06/10/13 with

My surgeon does a 40f.  I have heard that the size of the sleeve can play a role in the reflux.

jarabacoagirl
on 1/7/13 12:51 pm
VSG on 12/17/12

I'm 3 weeks post op.  All I can tell you is that I had NO acid flex until after surgery.  So if you already have it it might get worse.  :-(

HW 302 lbs SW  279.8 lbs.  CW  193.8 lbs   MFP Jarabacoagirl  Preop diets 22.2 lbs, 1st month 21.2 lbs, 2nd month 14.6 lbs,  3rd month 11.2 lbs, 4th month 7 lbs, 5th month 7 lbs, 6th month 6.8 lbs, 7th month 5.2 lbs, 8th month 4.4 lbs 9 and 10th months slowed down didn't record exactly

108.2 lbs lost from highest weight!

(86.2 lbs of that was lost since surgery date)

MeSkinny8
on 1/10/13 3:40 am
VSG on 11/21/12

My surgeon didn't want to do the sleeve (he wanted me to have the RNY) because of reflux, but I insisted on the sleeve.  I wasn't on any reflux meds prior to surgery.  However, I'm on meds 2x's a day now.  My choices were RNY or sleeve.  I went with the sleeve as it has less complications and "if" the GERD got worse I could eventually have the DS.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 66 views