Desserts.???

AnnieD9999
on 1/13/13 9:06 pm - Columbus, OH

I've asked this question on the RNY Topic board. But do sleeve patients experience dumping?

Somedaysoon
on 1/13/13 9:22 pm - MI

No you do not experience dumping with the sleeve, however as you correct you diet and get away from sweets and carbs you may not tolerated them.  I feel queasy if I have more than a bite or two.  Can not eat more than that.  Maybe I have lost my taste for processed sugars.  I still have a sweet tooth, but SF chocolate pudding sparingly, when the urge is strong serves me well.  Wishing you the very best on your journey.

Starting Wt: 313 Surgery Wt: 286               

mary d
on 1/13/13 10:29 pm

yes you can.  not everybody does and it is usually milder than rny.  fatty sugary food are the worst.  over time, dumping will probably cease unless you really go overboard with ice cream or something similar.

Nancybefree
on 1/13/13 9:37 pm, edited 1/14/13 1:59 am
VSG on 11/21/12 with

AnnieD9999, have you had any nutritional counseling yet?

5'8"    HRW 357 on 7/09/12    SW 339   >196 8/26/13 (surgeon's goal)   TWL  193     CW   164 

*:•-:¦:-•:*1st pers. goal 178 on 10/16/13; ultimate goal 164 on 12/13/13*:•-:¦:-•:* 

AnnieD9999
on 1/14/13 7:16 am - Columbus, OH

I have had me pre-surgery nutrition class and seen a nutritionist 3 or 4 times.

frisco
on 1/13/13 10:18 pm, edited 1/13/13 10:19 pm

Anyone "can" dump.......even normies......

Sleevers will probably be more apt to dump before a normie because we have less volume available in our stomachs.......

But sleevers and normies (and DSers) retain a fully functioning pyloric valve that will slow down the food entering the lower intestine.

RNYers don't have the function of the pyloric valve and food can enter the small intestine pretty fast..... but not all RNYers dump.

But............... none of us should be eating that much sugar to dump in the first place...... kinda like why did you have surgery again??? 

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

mizvicky
on 1/13/13 11:00 pm - MO
VSG on 08/07/12

Frisco, you are so right. I never, ever thought I would be one of "those" people who would backslide at all, never mind in  the huge way that I did. I had Christmas at my house, and left over in my fridge was about a 1/3 of a slice of chocolate cream pie. I thought as I was cleaning out the fridge, "I can probably eat a spoonful or two of that and throw the rest away" Instead of portioning out that amount, I took the whole pie tin and sat in front of the T.V. with it, and you guessed it, I mindlessly ate, just like before surgery, and when I started to feel funny I looked down and all but a small bite of pie was gone. Cold, hot, clammy, hands shaking, and I suddenly turned into Mount Vesuvius !! I have never been so sick in my life.

Looking back, I realize that I (whether I like to admit it or not) fully intended to eat that pie, and just like before surgery I totally tried to rationalize what I knew was a bad decision. In the future any and all sugary, fatty foods will leave my house with the company or the garbage. I thank God for my sleeve every day. It really is just a tool, but it's a pretty good one if you listen to it, and not your inner pre-surgery self.

To any of you out there who have never dumped before, trust me you don't want to, nothing is worth that horrible feeling !!

Vicky            
RHCP
on 1/13/13 11:43 pm - Poughkeepsie, NY

One time I ate one to many Dark Chocolate covered pretzels and threw up. Another time I had a piece of a waffle-I think It was the butter more than the waffle- but i got sick. You can dump- but it is different for everyone.

jarabacoagirl
on 1/14/13 12:00 am
VSG on 12/17/12

Statistics show 3 percent do.  Very small number compared to RNY at 80 percent. 

HW 302 lbs SW  279.8 lbs.  CW  193.8 lbs   MFP Jarabacoagirl  Preop diets 22.2 lbs, 1st month 21.2 lbs, 2nd month 14.6 lbs,  3rd month 11.2 lbs, 4th month 7 lbs, 5th month 7 lbs, 6th month 6.8 lbs, 7th month 5.2 lbs, 8th month 4.4 lbs 9 and 10th months slowed down didn't record exactly

108.2 lbs lost from highest weight!

(86.2 lbs of that was lost since surgery date)

hollykim
on 1/14/13 1:28 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
I did once on homemade ice cream. Had to totally go to bed and sleep it off just like other carb comas.

Gl

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 182 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 452 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 477 views