Anyone have an endoscopy after VSG surgery

Steven S.
on 1/16/13 2:44 am, edited 1/16/13 2:45 am - MA
VSG on 04/12/12

Hi

I'm 9 months out and recently starting having some small issues with food feel stuck and lots of reflux.

Dr wants me to have an endoscopy.  Anyone have one since getting sleeved?  Any issues / concerns??

Ms Shell
on 1/16/13 2:49 am - Hawthorne, CA

Had one post op no issues at all.  They knew I have a gastrectomy but it's basically a small stomach and the scope they use is small to go down the esphogaus.

Ms Shell 

Christine Heusinger
on 1/16/13 3:05 am - GA

I have a friend (from this forum!) who had her sleeve and just a month later had to have the endoscopy to "stretch" her esophagus!

Surgery: Thursday,  December 6 at Wellstar Kennestone in Marietta, GA

HW (July): 243      3 days before surgery:  235   Current: 166

(I can't figure out how to control this ticker)        

vogue
on 1/16/13 3:22 am
VSG on 08/30/12

Ive had 3 post-op...     they had to be extra careful because of risk of perforating the sleeve...  but Ive had no issues relating to the endo...  and the first one was within a month of surgery so the Dr was worried about residual swelling... but alas, all is ok as far as that is concerned

hwag5149
on 1/16/13 6:20 am

I had one maybe 3-4 months ago and I kept waking up during it and gagging and fighting. They found out I had gastritis (inflamed stomach lining) and took some biopsies. They couldn't get passed my stomach though. I'm pretty sure my stomach is shaped wrong now and collapsed in on itself. That's a whole nother story. The procedure is pretty painless.

HW 380.8+  SW- 371.4  CW- 234.4  GW- 200 

3cboys
on 1/16/13 8:55 am - Purcellville, VA

Thanks for posting this question...I have to have one soon also.  I was told there should be no problems with it.  I have non-hodgkins lymphoma in my duodenum  (the elbow looking drain from the stomach into the small intestine)  I am only 3 months out so we are going to wait until 6 months before I have another endoscopy.  I have had several pre-op and they are a piece of cake....hope it is the same post -op.  Good luck to you.  I hope the procedure helps the dr find your problem. 

marilynstraitwell
on 1/16/13 12:31 pm - Houston, TX

According to my surgeon, that's the "beauty" of the sleeve over RNY. We are essentially "normal" in regards to having procedures, taking certain meds, and for many of us no "dumping". You should be fine! Good luck!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 95 views