Pre-op Diet Questions.. There's a lot of them!!

HilaryH8103
on 1/22/13 12:41 pm - WA

Much Help.. Thank You!! Thank You!! How'd your surgery go?

joanna_1961
on 1/20/13 11:03 pm - McKinney, TX

Yes every surgeon has a different pre op diet plan.  I'm one week into mine and down 5 lbs. The amount of weight loss you have in the pre op also varies depending on how much you need to lose overall.  As for my diet, it consists of 3 light meals a day that consists of vegetables and fruit but absolutely no meat and bread products.  I also have to drink between 40-80 grams of protein a day.  I've not been hungry over the last week for the most part.  My energy level has already sky rocketed too!  My surgery is a week from today and I'm so ready!  Good luck to you!

Joanna

Joanna

HilaryH8103
on 1/22/13 12:48 pm - WA

Thank You- Good Luck to you. I need to lose about 150lbs. overall. Luckily, I'm about 6 feet tall so I hide it well. My 9 year old weighs 144lbs, he's solid as a rock though, 9 years old and over 5 feet already. He's going to be a big boy. I can't believe I've been carrying him on my back for these last few years, never putting him down. What have I been thinking? Carrying him in terms of the weight that is. Yikes...

Good Luck, you're in my prayers!!

Hilary

Crabadams72
on 1/21/13 12:05 am - Silver Spring, MD
My Dr did not require a pre op diet. She said its rarely effective. I went low carb anyhow because I felt it was better to do it ahead of surgery instead of shocking my system with surgery and low/no carbs immediately post op.
VSG 6/10/2011  Dr. Ann Lidor BMore MD 5'5 HW-247 SW-233 GW-145 CW-120

http://www.youtube.com/user/72Crabadams   Me rambling about my journey : )

hollykim
on 1/21/13 1:59 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

Again,every surgeon has a different plan. My pre op diet was 4-5 protein shakes a day and a protein salad for dinner. I could have all the broth,sf jello and sf pudding I wanted.

The fiber in apples is about the only thing that is healthy. The sugar is very high and even naturally occurring sugar is sugar,and has the potential to stop or slow your weight loss as well as triggering craving for more sugar.

our bodies are lazy and as long as we feed them sugar in the form of fruits and simple carbs,our bodyies will use that for ready fuel instead of breaking down stored fat.

Keeping carbs below 40 is not hard. Lean meats,eggs and non starchy veggies. That is all there is to it. That is how I eat now and i keep my carbs for the day WELL under 10 gms.

Stay away from Lean Cuisine and WW  etc.meals, cause it is really just crap in a "diet' box. Make your own homemade lean protein so you know exactly what is in it.

GL keep reading the boards and you will become less overwhelmed and confused as you go along. Take one day at a time.  Do you already have a protein shake you like? finding one is often the hardest thing for pre ops.

HilaryH8103
on 1/22/13 12:44 pm - WA

I'll start testing out the shakes immediately. Thanks for your wealth of information. It really helps to calm my fears. The hardest thing for me is going to be the protein, I think that's my problem now too. I don't like eggs and I rarely eat meat or chicken. It just grosses me out. I've seen too many food movies, I think.

Thanks so much for your help.

Hilary

soontobesleeved13
on 1/21/13 2:11 am - PA
VSG on 02/07/13

My pre-op diet begins on 1/24/12 and I am already nervous.  I am supposed to drink (4) 8 ox protein shakes a day. I am using the EAS vanilla protein powder with skim milk. I can also have crystal light, diet Snapple, zero calorie powerade, gaterode, sobe life water or vitamin water.  To spice things up I can have chicken, beef, shrimp or vegetable broth.  For dessert I can have sugar free jello, popsicles and gum.  This is going to be an interesting 2 weeks to say the least..  

Good luck all

HilaryH8103
on 1/22/13 2:54 pm - WA

2 more days before the big diet.. Woo Hoo. Good for you!!! You'll be just fine.

I love Crystal Light, Raspberry Lemonade is my favorite. I could drink that stuff all day, I won't but I easily could. LOL

Good Luck!! Let me know how everything's going.

I'm going to friend request you. I should find out in the next few days when my surgery will be, I'm nervous in a excited way though.

Thanks for the information!

Hilary

soontobesleeved13
on 1/22/13 9:30 pm - PA
VSG on 02/07/13

I am going to the market tonight to get some more supplies. I will add the Crystal Light Raspberry Lemonade to the list.  Thanks for the tip .  I will be sure to post how things are going while on this diet. Please make sure you update as well. I love reading how others are handling everything.

Talk to you soon

Anita

HilaryH8103
on 1/22/13 2:55 pm - WA

Thanks for the information everybody!!!

I really appreciate it. You guys have helped to calm a lot of my fears.

I'll be testing out protein shakes tomorrow.

Thanks Again,

Hilary

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 80 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 295 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 344 views