Yay "ice cream" that I can have

juddfan1974
on 1/22/13 8:23 pm - TN
VSG on 07/02/12

There are very few things that I truly miss since surgery, but ice cream is one of them.  I found a frozen desert mixed in with the ice cream at my local Kroger.  It is called Arctic Zero.  It is not as rich and creamy as traditional ice cream, but it is a pretty good back up plan in those moments of weakness.  I have tried both the cookies and cream and peanut butter chocolate.  A half cup serving has 37 calories, 3.5 grams of protein, and 5 or 6 carbs.  The carbs are still a little high in relation to the calories and protein, but its not terrible.  It is whey protein based.  I think its very similar to some of the ice cream ideas on egg face, but I don't the time to make my own.  This is a good treat.  I thought I'd pass it along.  You can google the name and the website will show you the locations in your area that carry it.  If you can't find it local it is offered online through amazon, but they price is almost double due to the challenges of shipping perishables.     

Kelly-AnneH
on 1/22/13 8:30 pm - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
I'm not a big ice cream eater but that sounds like a good deal to have occasionally.

Another option worth trying (for those of us who don't have access and also don't have time or desire to make the Eggface versions) is making "popsicles" from tarted up Greek yogurt.

Highest 303.4, Surgery 263, Current 217.8, Goal 180

mamaloveswirl
on 1/22/13 10:30 pm
VSG on 12/19/12

I'll have to look for that.  I was thinking of getting that "Yonanas" machine that uses frozen bananas as the main ingredient and it comes out like ice cream.  I tried it one time in Bed Bath and Beyond....pretty yummy!!

Keith L.
on 1/22/13 11:54 pm - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

Its terrible. None of the flavors taste like what it says it tastes like.

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

Escape_Pod
on 1/23/13 3:56 am

I tried it and thought it was truly terrible, but taste is very individual!  You should be aware, though, that  the Today Show did a report showing the actual calorie count in a pint is closer to 250 rather than the 150 on the label.  Arctic Zero disputes the results, but I don't trust it any more. 

When I want an ice cream substitute, I blend protein powder, almond mil**** and a little guar and/or xanthan gum (for thickening) in my blender and end up with a soft-serve like product that I know EXACTLY what's in it.

5'8"    Highest Weight: 245   Goal Weight (Surgeon): 154   Stretch Goal: 140

Most Active