Well I've had a complication...

msgypsylee
on 1/27/13 8:54 am

Well folks I've had a complication. I was sailing along really well and graduated to pureed foods on Tues. I also started back to work on Tues. Weds I woke up but feeling very tired and my sides hurt. It felt like muscle pain and i suspected it was from starting back to work and sitting up in an upright chair working/typing. Weds I woke and the pain was gone but I felt even more tired, I also began running a fever and had body aches. I suspected a virus of some sort but called to check in with my surgeons office anyway. After going over my sypmtoms she told me to take some tylenol for fever and call if there was any change. Friday I woke and the fever was gong but now I was vomiting. Couldn't keep any water down and was just as tired. I called the office who took me into the ER Friday Morning. I think because of my starting solid foods we all suspected a leak.

After a battery of tests including a CAT scan it was descovered I had 2 blood clots, one partial occlusion in the main vein from my Liver and a complete occlusion in the main vein from my Spleen. This is what caused all of my symptoms. No one is sure why this happened. I was on Lovenox shots post surgery, followed my diet to a T. Its just a fluke thing. One day I was doin well and the next I wasn't. I spent Fri-Noon today (sunday) on a continuous Heparin drip I wll need to be on Lovenox shots twice a day for a minimum of 3 months. I will also need to see a hematologist to see if there is some underlying condition that caused this. My blood panels pre and post op have all been normal. My spleen and liver are still very swollen and tender. I'm so glad I didn't ignore my symptoms and called the surgeon. What seemed like a virius was indeend much more. I was hesitant to share this as I didn't want to scare anyone but in the end felt it was important to share. If you suspect anything is even a little off report it. My complication is extremely rare. Had I not started vomiting I may have ignored since my fever broke and the pain had passed. Take care all.

3cboys
on 1/27/13 9:01 am - Purcellville, VA

Bless you..thank goodness they found out what was wrong.  Sounds like quite a road ahead of you.  Best thoughts for quick healing!

Sheryl G.
on 1/27/13 9:06 am - IL
VSG on 09/17/12

WOW! By not ignoring or downplaying your symptoms, you probably saved your own life!! Good for you to be proactive about your health. Best to you as you heal and move forward in your weight loss journey.

Sheryl

If you change nothing, nothing will change.      

hope2013
on 1/27/13 9:06 am - Philadelphia, PA
Thank God they were able to find the blood clots on time. Glad you are ok. That is my biggest fear.
Get some rest & I pray you have a speedy recovery...despite this set back.

hope2013

AmyB1012
on 1/27/13 9:20 am

Wow so glad you called and were proactive. GL with your healing. A friend of mine was also one of rare ones that got a blood clot and ended up very sick. It doesnt happen to a ton but it does happen.

Lynnegetsbrave
on 1/27/13 9:22 am

So glad you are home and better...take care!

frisco
on 1/27/13 9:23 am

Just remember you now have a history of blood clotting, remember to mention your sensitivity to post surgical blood clotting in any future medical procedures.

Sometimes they even install a trap to catch a loose clot.

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

Erce
on 1/27/13 10:30 am

How scary! I'm so glad they figured out what was going on and didn't blow you off as having a virus or something,

bree_anna72
on 1/27/13 10:49 am - Nokomis, FL
VSG on 12/28/12

That's really scary. My Surgeon's office preaches the "speak up" philosophy, as in there's nothing too little to call about. Even if it's something simple it's better to be educated and not guess. Its a good thing you didn't wait. Glad you called and they brought you in. Good luck with your recovery.

swizzlequeen
on 1/27/13 11:55 am

your symptoms seem to have been relatively subtle ... shows that sometimes, when it comes to our bodies, the signs of something serious can be small, barely noticed, or brushed off as something trivial or routine... which it was not, in this case.

Get better soon. Sounds like you take very good care of yourself, and that you are in very good medical hands.

keep us posted.

Hugs!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 80 views