Its Been a looong while, Hi & Help

Joeyb278
on 2/9/13 2:24 pm - Houston, TX
VSG on 08/13/12

Hi friends, I haven't had a chance to get on the site in forever because I lost web access on my phone and pc, but I'm glad I'm back.. lol.. I am about 6 months post up and I been feelin pretty good.  My heaviest weight was 530 lbs; day of surgery i was 429 lbs; and current weight is 314 lbs.. I'm really excited about the progress!! Thank you to everyone that has supported me and encouraged me through my journey.  I still have some ways to go but I,m still battling.  I hope and pray that everyone is doing well and to any new people on OH i luv making new friends and sharing my experiences feel free to hit me up!! I do have some questions.  I have been getting some dizzy spells and light headed for some time.  I'm still taking 20mg of Lisinopril but my blood presure has shown to still need it, or at least that's what i think.. lol.. I have notices that it happens sometimes if i haven't had enough sleep or after i eat.  If anyone can give me any advice or experienced this i would luv to hear it.  thanx again friends.

My Journey has officially started!!! Joey B!!!  HW: 530lbs ~ SW: 428lbs ~ GW: 180lbs 

Missey J.
on 2/9/13 2:53 pm - AZ
VSG on 08/27/12

I to was on Lisinopril for my blood pressure but have since stopped taking it as I would eat and my BP would drop pretty low and make me light headed, almost passing out. You may want to check with your doctor to try a lower dose. And how's Houston ? I'm from the Heights area !

Age 53, 5'2", HW 337, Pre OpW 312.5, SW ?, CW 286        
Joeyb278
on 2/10/13 1:28 am - Houston, TX
VSG on 08/13/12
Thank U MIssey.. Houston Is Good.. Weather Is Still Crazy!! Lol..

My Journey has officially started!!! Joey B!!!  HW: 530lbs ~ SW: 428lbs ~ GW: 180lbs 

Calking
on 2/9/13 2:58 pm
VSG on 05/31/12

Wow, congrats on the success.  I am amazed at what you have accomplished.  I have experienced dizzy spells in this process as well.  Several times it was a blood pressure issue and several times it was a blood sugar issue.  You seemed to have ruled out the blood pressure possibilities so perhaps it is blood sugar.  Most of my issues were pre op and shortly after (within first month post op).

Pre op I was on two blood sugar meds ... Metformin ER 500 2x day and Glimpiride at night.  I spoke with my PCP and told her that pre op I would be 1000 calories per day with 100 carbs in that day per the Optifast 800 diet for two weeks.  Prior to starting that she took me off of Glimpiride and one of the Metformin doses.  I had dizzy spells and my blood sugar was getting low on me.  Days before surgery I took my last Metformin and was 100% off all diabetes meds.

Pre op I was on two blood pressure meds that were barely keeping things in check.  Benicar HCT and Metoprolol.  After being off blood sugar meds still had some dizziness issues.  Stopped one of these meds.  Still with issues stopped the other pre op.  So going into surgery I was off everything.

Post op the first month I would get dizzy spells while walking at a good pace.  I remember once going to a Walmart and walking the perimeter inside and getting dizzy.  I went to the blood pressure machine and got a reading that was a low reading for what I have been used to seeing.  I had this happen several times while walking at a brisk pace.  I can only think that it still has something to do with low blood pressure or blood sugar.  My best guess is that it is blood pressure though.  Even though I don't need meds I imagine that blood pressure can drop at certain points.

I also seem to remember that if you have high blood pressure and it drops a certain amount in a short period of time that it is the drop that is the issue.  It may be a drop from real high to not as high that is causing the issue.  I would ask your primary care physician or surgeon how much of a drop would it take in blood pressure to feel dizzy.  Lets say the answer comes back that in 20 mins if you drop 20 points on the top number then you get dizzy or are likely to.  This could be what is happening.  Just a thought.

Isn’t it a bit unnerving that doctors call what they do their “practice”?  -  George Carlin             

hollykim
on 2/9/13 11:44 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
How is your fluid intake. Getting 64 plus oz of sf liquid a day? Dehydration can cause these symptoms. Gl

Joeyb278
on 2/10/13 1:32 am - Houston, TX
VSG on 08/13/12
Thank U For The Suggestions. I Am Short On My Fluid Intake By Like 2-3 Cups Of Fluids.. I Appreciate The Advice N Knowing That I'm Not The Only One Really Helps. Thank U So Much!!!!!

lowbrass03
on 2/10/13 4:27 am - houston, TX
VSG on 05/17/12
Hey I'm in Houston aswell. Glad up hear you are doing good. You may have some way to go but you have lost a good amount.
I had a few fizzy spells and I realized that it was lacking in my water intake. Also not eating in the mornings contributed to that.
Hope you get better

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 80 views