Soo thirsty

susanhazel13
on 2/13/13 6:34 am - ME

First full day home and doing pretty good getting in fluids and proteins.  So why am I so thirsty?  Any ideas?

Sutterbos
on 2/13/13 7:00 am
VSG on 06/21/12

Thirst is a late sign of dehydration, so you really need to push the fluids.  I know it's so hard!!!!  Just sip all day long.  The absolute last thing you need is to end up in the ER dehydrated. 

Hang in there - this is just the first step of an amazing adventure that is going to change your life!!!

hollykim
on 2/13/13 7:42 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

Dehydration.  How much exactly is "pretty good" with fluids? Smile

susanhazel13
on 2/13/13 7:58 am - ME

Still in an anesthesia fog.  Have had to have the hubbytake over with trackbg.  Thanks for the smile.  Whoops guess I can't spell either!

sheranfour
on 2/13/13 8:28 am

Hi Susan!

I too was soooooooo thirsty. I was trying to follow the rules and drink the protein...but my mouth was so dry.

I called my NUT in tears. She told me to put the protein aside and push the water..and sugar free popsicles. OMG ! I was saved!!!

I remember 1 week later going to the grocery store. I used to see the crap and crave the junkfood. That day I saw the big water dispenser tubs, and water bottles! And people in the cafe drinking!! Called my NUT again..."Water!"

Call your NUT tomorrow...but in the meantime...WATER. Dehydration is one of the most common side effects post op.

Every day gets better...but stay in close contact with your NUT and Doc. We all have stories and advice...but your practioners know best for your plan.

Welcome to the losers bench!!!

Peace

~Deb

Not MY will, but HIS. Not MY time, but HIS.    
SuzyNZ
on 2/13/13 4:36 pm
VSG on 09/17/12
Fluids are your absolute priority at the moment, above ALL else, including protein.

You won't die going without food for a few days, but you can from dehydration. So just focus on drinking as much as you can as often as you can.

Suzy wink (Age: 41, Height: 6'1,  SW: 169.4kg/372lb.  CW: 80.5kg/177lb.  Total lost: 88.9kg/195lbs)

susanhazel13
on 2/13/13 8:52 am - ME

Oh great reminder about the Popsicle.   Love this site.   Now if I could just figure out how to get a picture on so you could see who this crazy lady is!

pineview01
on 2/13/13 9:01 am - Davison, MI

Sip, sip sip. Popsicles are great.  Sipping on chicken broths. Water is you number one job.  Tell DH 64 oz is the goal, including the popsicles and broth.  Anything ~ 50 is good but, if you are already heading down...

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

busboss1
on 2/13/13 10:59 am
VSG on 12/18/12
I was really thirsty too for about 2 weeks. It was at the worst in the mornings when I got out of bed. This too shall pass. Keep drinking the fluids and the protein shakes.

Starting weight-244.4   Currently-145.2   Surgeon goal-150   My own goal-140        

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 267 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 328 views