Any gym rats here? What exercises do you do?

Jarisaunt
on 3/1/13 2:41 am - CA
VSG on 08/21/12

Joined a gym that just opened 2 blocks from my house (I have no excuse not to go). I'd like to know what sorts of exercises you do and for how long. Mostly cardio? Weights? Swimming? Do you use a trainer?

If you do strength training, how much weight do you use and how many reps?

Thanks in advance for the info.

Height: 5'5"  2 wks pre-op: -15  M1: -20  M2: -18  M3: -12  M4: -13  M5: -8 M6: -10 M7: -2 M8: -10 M9: -4 M10: 0 M11: -3 M12: -3 M13: -14 Start Wt:290 SurgWt:275 (BMI 46) Current Wt:145 (BMI 24) Goal:140 (BMI 23.3)

Lisa S.
on 3/1/13 3:41 am - NV
VSG on 07/09/12
I don't know if I qualify as a "gym rat". But I do go quite often . I think it is important to meet with a trainer at least 1x. Usually when you first join a gym they may include 1 free visit. If not, ask about meeting with someone there to show you how to use the equipment properly and safely.

I LOVE the variety of cardio classes. Find a few that you like.

Here is my typical week at the gym:
Monday: body pump class or weight training, treadmill, step class
Tuesday: weight training, treadmill, Body Flow class (tai chi, yoga, pilates mix)
Wednesday (heavy day): beginning yoga, body pump, treadmill
Thursday: Weight training, zumba, treadmill
Friday: Body Pump class or weight training, treadmill
Saturday: Body Flow Class
Sunday: Rest Day

When I weight train I do the following:
treadmill 30mins @3.0, incline at 1.0
pulldown 45lbs 3 sets of 15 reps
glutes 45lbs 3 sets of 15 reps per leg
seated tricep 47lbs 3 sets of 15
hip abductions 40lbs 3 sets of 15
hip adduction 50lbs 3 sets of 15
wide grip shoulder press 47lbs 3 sets of 15
abdominal bench - 3 sets of 30

Feel free to message me if you have any questions. Also take a look at bodybuilding.com. They have some beginner training programs and alot of good info.

nmrudge
on 3/1/13 5:03 am - IL
VSG on 12/10/12

I'm not a gym rat either but I try and go 4-5 times a week.  I agree with the previous poster about seeing the trainer at least 1x.  If nothing else, he/she will give you a feel for the machines and how they work. 

I do cardio every time I go.  45 min @ 4.0.  It took me a while to get to that speed, which is a brisk walk for me.  Sometimes I increase it to 5.0 or 5.5 if I feel like jogging for a bit.  Typically, I stay around 4.0 for most of my workout though.  This gets my heart rate up to between  160-180.  Which is my fat burning range.  Anything less and I'm not burning fat.  Anything more and I'm burning muscle.  That's another question you could ask the trainer.  He/she could help calculate your target heart rate.

I try and do some weight training but that's been more sporadic.  When I do lift weights, it's always on machines.  No free weights for me yet.  I do three sets of 10 on the bench press @ 50lbs.  I also do three sets of 10 on the shoulder press @ 40lbs.  Lastly, I do three sets of 10 on the bicep curl @ 40lbs.  These all work my upper chest, back, shoulders & arms.  I don't do any lower body or ab work yet.  I'm trying to ease into this whole working out thing. 

Good luck and welcome to the gym!  I have no doubt that once you start going regularly, you will see the weight start to drop and drop quickly!

Edit Delete

bigmama3
on 3/1/13 5:31 am

I'm a gym rat--I go to the gym 4x a week, and 2x a week work out with a personal trainer (Friday is my day of rest).

When at the gym, I either take a spin class or work the bike for an hour (level 14--high intensity).  I also work the weight machines.  The personal trainer (2x a week) works me like a dog--work on weight training and "core" exercises.

good luck!

CW - 125 (20 lbs. below goal)

lunarose
on 3/1/13 9:59 am - Newhall, CA

I am not a gym rat. I walk 2 1/2 hours with hills five days a week.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 63 views