To Scale or Not to Scale... that is my question

EmpressLynneBN
on 3/6/13 1:42 am - AZ
VSG on 12/20/12

Good Morning to all the beautiful people!

I am approaching the 12 week mark for my sleeve surgery and I have been losing weight consistently, at least I think so.  I don't know if I ever had that 5-6 week stall that people talk about, because I don't own a scale.  I have only been weighed at follow up appointments and a couple of times at my weight management meeting ( at work.)  I read a lot of posts about people monitoring their weight daily, and keeping track of gains and losses, and I don't have that option.  In fact I think not having a scale has been a protection for me so far in life.  Never really knowing what I weighed kept me from facing my weight and thinking about trying to address it.  I could regularly convince myself that I must be losing weight because my clothes fit different.  I have been blinded for so long that I was blown away when I stepped on the scale some years ago and it said 467 lbs. ( Not blown enough away to make a change.)  However, that is the past and I will leave it there.  I am thinking about buying a scale and then picking 2 days a week to weigh myself, rather than every day. 

I am interested in the thoughts of those who have struggled with this decision?  I know it's a relatively small issue considering all the wonderful changes I am having in my life right now, but to me it feels like a HUGE step.

sleevegirl
on 3/6/13 1:56 am - Austin, TX

It depends on you and how you will react. I weigh EVERY morning, but if I see a pound or two gain from the previous day, I don't freak out. I look for overall trends and my weight can swing around 2 pounds in either direction. I only really log it once per week (on Tuesdays, simply because my surgery was on a Tuesday LOL).

A lot of folks only weigh weekly. For me, getting on that scale is simply a reminder of what I'm doing and why. What it says means very little.

Candy from Austin, TX  |   Website  |  MyFitnessPal  |  My OH Blog

5'6" / HW 375 / SW 355 / CW 150 / Maintaining 155-159 - Goal Reached! 225 Pounds Lost

(deactivated member)
on 3/6/13 3:06 am

What you said!  Exactly that.  I need the scale or else it is just to easy for me to fall into the "ostrich" mode.

vacationlover
on 3/7/13 12:08 pm

Ditto!  I stay on plan the best if I weigh daily :)

CW: 130ish HW: 264 SW:254 Hgt: 5'2

Goals-Dr:159-MET Mine:140-MET!!! Final Goal: 135-MET!!!!!

W4:-22 W8:-11 W12:-10.5 W16:-12 W20:-11.5 W24:-9.5 W28:-8 W32:-7.5 W36:-8 W40:-7.5 W44:-5 W48: -4.5 1Yr/W52: -7

SuzyNZ
on 3/6/13 1:57 am
VSG on 09/17/12

Like you, At 360+lbs, I never owned a scale, mainly because it was difficult to find one at actually measured up to my weight.

but when I started this journey, I wanted complete accountability and for me, that means jumping on the scale every morning to make sure Im on track, especially as I get further out and the losses slow.

The trick is not to get obsessive about it and not to stress out when it doesn't go down.  It won't always.   And sometimes, it will even go up, particularly around TOM.  That's normal, even for non-WLS people.

I wouldn't be without mine. :)

Suzy wink (Age: 41, Height: 6'1,  SW: 169.4kg/372lb.  CW: 80.5kg/177lb.  Total lost: 88.9kg/195lbs)

mimij
on 3/6/13 2:18 am - McDonough, GA
VSG on 10/03/12

I like weighing because it is just another piece of data that helps me with my "Plan". I weigh twice per week. I try not to let a small increase throw me into a tailspin, because water retention, exercise and so many other things can have an affect. Look at it as data. Once you assign some subjective emotion to it, you can ruin your whole day sabotaging yourself. You will definitely want to weigh yourself as you get closer to maintenance so you can manage things to stay at or near goal.

MIMI  Highest weight 215  SW 203  GW 125   M1 -22  M2 -12  M3 -11  M4 -7  M5 -10  M6 -5  M7 -6  M8 -5  M9 -4  M10 -3  In maintenance since June 2013  HT- 5'2"  

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 3/6/13 2:32 am
VSG on 10/09/12
I am best friends with my scale! Wouldn't be without it on this journey. It encourages me when I see the weight go down. It gives me a slap when I know why it isn't goi g down...it is my daily reality check and a face yourself kind of moment. Its part of my accountability.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

RedStar98
on 3/6/13 3:06 am - Johnston, RI
VSG on 10/02/12

I had been weighing and tracking that weight every morning consistently since surgery.  However, I've noticed I'm slowing down, and that frustrates me, so I made a decision that while I would still weigh daily, I'm only going to track it once a week on Friday, and get a weekly difference.  But I do still like to see the day to day, even when it frustrates me.  :)

danigirl42
on 3/6/13 3:10 am - PA
VSG on 01/02/13

I'm a little over 2 months out and I weigh myself everyday.  Part of it is excitement of seeing the numbers go down and part is accountability.  I am following the nutrition plan but if the number doesn't move, I might push myself a little harder with exercise or maybe I haven't been drinking enough water.  Once I'm in maintenance I may switch it to once a week but for now the daily thing is working for me.

Christa :]
on 3/6/13 3:10 am - MI
VSG on 03/13/12

It's all up to you. I weight every single day. If I don't I would end up 294lbs again. The scale keeps me in check!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 143 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 416 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 436 views