Off my Protein shakes 7 weeks out?

hope2013
on 3/25/13 11:51 am - Philadelphia, PA
I was getting very sick every day while drinking my protein shakes...it was this horrible gas, sweats, shakes & nausea...I tried all kinds of protein shakes...powders & rtd.
Finally, the dietian said as long as I eat 65 to 75 ounces of protein in food I'm ok.
Today, I didn't have any shakes just got my protein from my meats. However, I'm a little worried that I didn't take the shakes & that I'm off them for good. I'm only 7 weeks out.
Has this happened to anyone else? Curious.
Kelly-AnneH
on 3/25/13 11:59 am - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
Some people become lactose intolerant after surgery and have a rough time with shakes. If you're getting in your protein without them - go you!

I'm the opposite - shakes ok, meats not so much. We each have to do what works for us.

Highest 303.4, Surgery 263, Current 217.8, Goal 180

(deactivated member)
on 3/25/13 12:21 pm
VSG on 06/04/12

Kelly is right, many people develop lactose intolerence after surgery and it may or may not get better.  If you can get your protein in food form then you will be just fine!  You can  also try a clear protein like Isopure or Whey Isolate from Cytosport.

MacMadame
on 3/25/13 2:27 pm - Northern, CA

There is no such thing as "for good" at 7 weeks out. Every day something changes. One day warm stuff went down well but cold stuff wouldn't. The next day it was the opposite. One day meat when down great. Another day solid food was out. You just have to keep trying things and just because something stops working now doesn't mean it won't start working again later. That could include the shakes.

Personally, I changed the brand of my shakes a bunch of times before I settled on the ones I use now. And I did have issues with gas at times and I can't drink milk any more either.

I also tried shakes from egg, soy and other sorts of protein and not just whey.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

frisco
on 3/25/13 9:37 pm

It's hard for me to imagine getting enough protein in at 7 weeks out without supplemental protein. Even at over 3 years it's hard for me to meet my protein goals on just food.

I was eating a half of scrambled egg from 6 weeks out. (6 grams per egg)

Most meats are around 8 grams of protein per oz.

Any way you do the math it seems like far to much food to reach most protein goals for 7 weeks out ????

It would probably be in your best interest to try different forms and brands of protein supplementation like Mac suggested.

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

michellemj
on 3/26/13 12:53 am

Well, I'm over 2 years out and still start my day with a protein shake so I can't imagine being off them "for good".

You may need to experiment with different kinds of powders...egg white, whey isolate, whey concentrate, hemp, etc. and how are you mixing them? water, almond milk, skim milk?

HW: 280; SW: 255; GW1: 150; CW: 155.

Carmelita
on 3/26/13 12:56 am, edited 3/26/13 1:00 am - Four Corners, NM
mary d
on 3/26/13 1:15 am

Did you get all of your protein from the meat you ate?  I couldn't tolerated shakes either.  Since I was a revision from a band, I was able to eat enough protein very soon after surgery.  It's a good thing too, because liquids never fill me up not matter what is in them.

I don't think people who are not lactose intolerant understand how crappy whey protein can make you feel.  It is making you sick if you are allergic to it.  I tried other protein powders, but whey tastes the best, but if it makes you sick, it is no good.

If you are getting enough from solid protein, that is preferable because it will make you feel full better than any liquid. Fish and the softer proteins go down better.  Just take it slow and eat more often if that is what it takes.  Cook your meats until they are fork tender, that helps immensely.

Good luck, keep us posted.

Lap Band 2006  

VSG 2008

Bella_Fein
on 3/26/13 1:38 am - TX
VSG on 02/18/13

Well, shrimp has 22 grams of protein for 3 ounces. So if you eat the right foods you can get in plenty of protein. I am 5 weeks out and was told many many times here to follow my doctors plan. According to my doctor I should eat 1/2 a cup or 4 ounces. Which I can sometimes eat 4 sometimes only 2, but if you choose the right foods you can get in a good amount of protein.

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 63 views