Breastfeeding post-op?

wags1104
on 3/28/13 12:13 pm, edited 3/28/13 11:48 pm

I apologize, as I'm new here and  haven't figured out how to search previous posts or keywords yet!

I'm guessing the answer is going to be no, but has anyone successfully continued BFing post-op? With not taking in extra calories, and the fast weight loss, I'm gonna guess my body will decide to dry up. I wish that weren't the case though.

Do you know?

*Edit* I found a thread from 2011 when another VSG patient had the same issue:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/vsg/4440164/Breastfeeding-post-op/

Calking
on 3/28/13 2:57 pm
VSG on 05/31/12

I know that I didn't ... but then again being a man I was never successful at this to start with ... lol.  Sorry I can't be of much help on this.

By the way there is a blue bar along the top of the webpage.  On the right side of the bar are the options to SEARCH, MESSAGES, and MY ACCOUNT.  I only put them in caps as to show exactly how they appear not doing the "yelling" thing or anything else negative.  Anyway if you click on the SEARCH you will get a little pop up window where you can type in what you are searching for and then there is a drop down menu where you can choose to search the entire site, photos, members, q & a, professionals, goals, or forums.  I would select forums if I were you.  

So search the "forums" for breast feeding and hopefully you will find some answers.  Not to mention you have learned how to search for future inquires if you so choose.

Again I am sorry that I can help from personal experience as it literally is not something that is in my genes.

Isn’t it a bit unnerving that doctors call what they do their “practice”?  -  George Carlin             

wags1104
on 3/28/13 9:50 pm
Thanks so much!
mary d
on 3/28/13 9:36 pm

When did you have your surgery?  If you haven't had it already, I would delay it.  You will need extra calories and fluids whether pre op or post of.  However, breastfeeding requires extra calories, but they go to the baby.

I think you would have problems the first month after surgery getting in enough calories and fluids to support breast feeding.  IMHO breast feeding is worth putting off surgery for a few months or more depending on the age of your baby.

Lap Band 2006  

VSG 2008

wags1104
on 3/28/13 9:53 pm
Thank you. She is 3 months now, and I've only just begun the preop journey. I have my GP's referral, education class is 4/16, psych eval 4/26, and then we'll see from there. My insurance wouldn't tell me much. They said it is covered but has to go through a review board. They only talk to the surgeon about it, and it's only approved after surgery with what the surgeon submits.
wags1104
on 3/28/13 9:57 pm
But back to BFing...with not having a date yet, I may have her weaned by the time surgery gets here. I put off surgery last year because we wanted another baby!
mary d
on 3/28/13 10:24 pm

Good luck whatever you decide.  Sometimes you have to go through a pre op weight loss attempt.  That should give you plenty of time.  Breast feeding can help with weight loss!

Lap Band 2006  

VSG 2008

jengo1971
on 3/29/13 12:15 am

My son was 14 months when I had VSG and I continued to produce milk without any problems for months after.  Of course your baby is younger.  However, by the time you have surgery he/she may be closer to one.  I had a couple posts regarding bf'ing and VSG.  Check the search engine.  Good luck!

Jennifer

hi there.  pleased to meet you.  ~jennifer                        
J. t
on 3/29/13 2:45 pm - Canada

in most cases breastmilk production is  demand/supply system. if baby continues to demand it, your body will continue to supply it, even if your nutrient intake is subpar (due to post-op restrictions). it probably will not affect quality of milk if you are diligent about getting your vitamins and protein.

i highly recommend seeing a IBCLC lactation consultant. you may want or need to change breastfeeding positions, for example from a cradle hold to a football hold to decreases pressure on your abdomen during recovery.

good luck!

referred nov 2012 accepted march 2013 orientation october 2014. sw: 287

wags1104
on 3/29/13 8:57 pm
thank you!
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 82 views