Life insurance

Jasonm11
on 4/17/13 2:28 am

I just wanted to post a bit of info on my life insurance policy.  I have a policy through my employer that upon requesting an increase required a health review.  Initially, there were no required medical reviews for anyone who enrolled during the first month when we got the policies 2 years ago, just before my surgery, as long as your policy was under $250,000.  Of course I chose one under that since I knew there was no way, at 380 lbs and the doctors telling me I may make it to 40, I would be approved.

This review consisted of submitting a medical history, including allowing access to all medical records for the last 5 years, whi*****luded my diagnosis for NASH, hypertension and ultimately my VSG.  They conducted a phone interview with me and asked all kinds of questions.  They didn't have an option for VSG during the phone interview and the woman said, 'I'll just mark you as having Gastric Bypass.'  To which I politely explained that I wasn't ok with that because the risks involved with rerouting of the intestines and remaining stomach were the exact reason I chose the VSG and would, in my opinion, greatly influence any decision on life insurance, were I the one making that decision, so no, I wouldn't allow my history to be marked as Gastric Bypass simply because they don't know what a VSG is.

After I explained the difference to her in brief terms, she said she understood and made a note that I did not have a gastric bypass done, but rather had a Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy, which as she said, is not recognized by their system.

Overall the woman was extremely nice and seemed genuinely interested in my progression and we discussed it for a good 30 minutes.  I was torn because I didn't want to say anything that may hurt my chances for the increased benefits but at the same time, I wanted to be truthful and forthcoming to someone who seemed so interested.

So after the call, I pretty much expected it not to go through, with the questions on how long I had been losing weight and how long I had kept it off and such, but just last night, I received notification that I was approved for the doubling of my benefits.

So, for anyone wondering, at two years out, you may find yourself considered 'normal' enough of a risk to be considered for high value life insurance policies.

HW(2-19-11) - 375    SW(3-9-11) - 362.5    CW - 204    GW - 220
Reached 100 pounds lost from highest weight at 3.5 months post-op!!!
Reached 100 pounds lost since surgery weight at 4.75 months post-op!!!
Marioksig
on 4/17/13 3:36 am - Santa Clara, CA

Thank you! I have been thinking I will need to wait a long time prior to going down this route. I will wait until the 2 year mark but thank you!!!!

100 LBS gone in 3 Months! - 150 LBS gone in just over 5 Months! 

200 LBS gone in just under 9 Months!

Please Check out my blog:
www.sheddingounces.net  

M C.
on 4/17/13 5:34 am
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 71 views