NY NSV mixed with OT event( melodrama warning)

sheranfour
on 4/19/13 10:05 pm

Hi Gang!

I apologize up front for what some may call my "melodramatic" angle this morning...so if you're not into it...feel free to move on to a different poster.

So YAY for the capture of the suspected remaining Boston Marathon Bomber! Community and law enforcement as one for a common goal. Intense man.

I did something I haven't done in years. My family and I decided to stop our lives and take a brief vacation. I took the week off and we shot up to New York. I hadn't seen the 9/11 memorial and really needed to this week. This was our first time...and I tell you this was an amazing experience. We saw names of those in our community who perished...and said many prayers for those who mourn the losses and lives changed forever.

VSG wise..I was amazed at how I was able to walk around NY city...block after block, no pain, no shortness of breath, not dripping in sweat. It was like nothing I ever thought I'd feel good enough to do. My family kept looking at me in utter amazement. We tried out all these different places of ethnicity and food ( which I always found a nibble that was VSG friendly)...and NEVER had a problem fitting into a tiny booth!! ( Fast forward to coming home, I actually lost 2 more pounds!!)

But here's the one thing I really wanted to share. Our first night there we went to a New York Islanders game ( Hockey for those not in the know). BTW = we are a hockey family...4 generations. My boys are teens now and laced skated at 4 yrs old. Bruins all the way baby! For those unfamiliar...when it comes to sports, Boston and New York have the oldest and deepest rivalry in the sports world. So here we were...Bruins fans in a New York team rink. This was Tuesday night, day after the Boston Bombing. The stadium was full of THOUSANDS of NY hockey fans...and as most know, the beer was-a-flowing all around us. HOWEVER...before the Nat'l anthem a moment of silence was called for Boston. No longer was it Boston Vs New York. We were all there..together as people. And it was SOOOOOOO quiet in this huge arena of NY fans...you could hear a pin drop. Then the loud Chant of USA. It was incredible.

The human spirit is amazing. For all the cold, harsh horrible things that happen in our world...savor the moments that we come together and touch each others lives.No matter where you live in this world...do something nice for someone else today. You'll be paid back tenfold!

Prayers to those in Texas, and also to those in China.

I promise all my next posts will be VSG focused. Sorry for all my OT posts lately...just where I am these days.

Peace all!

~Deb

Peace

Not MY will, but HIS. Not MY time, but HIS.    
Lisa1023
on 4/19/13 10:35 pm
VSG on 03/05/13

Were you shocked by NY doing the moment of silence for Boston?   We are not animals, nor does New York center around hockey nor fixate on "Boston" as rivals.  (Shrugs)

Congrats on all the NSV's.  have a safe trip! Always lock your doors, lol.

HW  383     SW  371    CW   234     

sheranfour
on 4/20/13 3:57 am

Thanks for taking my positive reflection and making me sound like an ass.

Never said NY fans were animals ( Shrugs)

jenn227
on 4/20/13 1:59 am - NJ
VSG on 03/26/13

Wow, that must have been such an incredible moment at the game.  I am so emotional with all of these horrors going on right now, I probably would have lost it!  Flyers fan here lol!

Jenn   Highest weight: 278. Starting weight: 275. Surgery weight: 253. Month 1: 25 lbs. Month 2: 8.8 lbs. Month 3: 12.6 lbs. Month 4: 7 lbs. Onederland 7/29/2013. Month 5: 7 lbs. Month 6: 5 lbs. Months 7-9: self-induced maintenance, then 5 lb gain.

sheranfour
on 4/20/13 3:59 am

Thanks Jenn!

My point exactly. No matter what we do in our lives, where we live, who we cheer for...we are all connected...and it was a very unexpected emotional moment for everyone there.

mailDeb

Most Active