Horrible Pain!

Donnab62
on 4/20/13 10:59 am
VSG on 04/29/13

My doctor has had me stop my Mobic (Nsaid) prior to my surgery on April 29 and apparently this is going to be permanent. I am hurting so bad, it is hard to get around. What have ya'll done to help with this issue? Do all of you aches and pains go away after surgery?

Donna

lucy2e
on 4/20/13 11:09 am - Laurel, MD

I think pre-op no NSAID for bleeding issues etc during the operation.  Post-op most doc's will allow NSAIDs with the sleeve.  I do take advil when I need it - not too often...

Hope you feel better!

Lucy  (Imma Loser!)
  LilySlim Weight loss tickers                  
HW 335 SW 311 CW 181.2 -- Goals:  Twoderville - 6/7/11, 280 - 7/1/11, 260 - 8/1/11, 240 - 10/30/11 Centry Club - 11/22/11, 220 - 12/27/11 Onederland - 5/25/12, 180 - , 170 (surgeons goal) -  
We shall see where this leads...  

Donnab62
on 4/20/13 11:17 am
VSG on 04/29/13

Thank you. I sure hope he lets me.

Donna

grannymedic1
on 4/20/13 11:22 am - Lake Odessa, MI
Revision on 08/21/12

I agree with Lucy. many are able to take Nsaid's after sleeve.

Ask for something else, take Tylenol, etc. I had to go off my Nsaid before I got my band but because of it tearing up my stomach even with a PPI. By the time I had surgery I had learned how to use other things, though there are times my back pain gets ahead of me. I recently had to ask for another Rx for liquid Lortab because the pain was so bad and I still can't swallow larger pills, even broken in half. The  good thing is that it is highly unlikely I will ever be addicted since it is so vile  devil

that I put off having to take it until I cannot stand the pain. Often I talk myself right out of it!

Highest weight: 212.8 Current weight 135 Lost 77.8 pounds

MomofMarch
on 4/20/13 1:57 pm - GA

My husband takes Mobic for his back. The others have been able to advise you on after surgery, but before you get to that point, I suggest soaking with epsom salt, gentle massage, and a heating pad. (I'm not sure why you're taking it, but as I said, my husband uses it for his back.) I hope you feel relief soon!

Laura- HW:240  SW: 224  GW:165 Surgery date 12/10/12

Winning the battle against obesity and PCOS!

Donnab62
on 4/20/13 4:13 pm
VSG on 04/29/13

I take it for my knees and back. My knee is really swollen but seems a little better since using the heating pad. My doctors gives me lortab as a backup but I try not to use it if I can help it. I get worried about addiction. I don't want to substitute my food addiction for a drug addiction. Does epsom salt relax you muscles? I've heard of it but I'm not sure what it does. Thanks for your suggestions.

Donna

MomofMarch
on 4/20/13 11:31 pm - GA

It relaxes the muscles and reduces swelling. I like to put some in a hot bath and just soak for a while. I understand about not wanting to become addicted. It really is a beast! I highly suggest taking it if you are in an extreme amount of pain, just make sure that you're not taking it every single day.

Also, if your sleeve isn't able to tolerate the Mobic after surgery (my doc has me off NSAIDs due to an ulcer), there is a cream that you can rub on it that has the same effect. It's called gabapentin. He has it in the compound form with Neurontin. From what I've seen, it can be pricey, but there may be a generic. For my husband's 90 day supply, they billed our insurance over $1,000. Of course, we know that what they are charged vs what insurance pays is a completely different story, but it's worth a shot to check it out.

Laura- HW:240  SW: 224  GW:165 Surgery date 12/10/12

Winning the battle against obesity and PCOS!

Donnab62
on 4/21/13 2:24 am
VSG on 04/29/13

Thanks alot!

Donna

wink77
on 4/21/13 2:34 am - NE
I suggest checking with your Dr for an alternative. I take large amounts of Advil, 800 mg x 3 times a day with Lortab as a backup. I got Tramadol to use until/if I can no longer take the Advil.

Hot baths and heating pad help me too.
Cheryl M.
on 4/21/13 4:02 am

I had to stop Ketoprofen (NSAID) 30 days before surgery.  My doctor let me resume taking it as needed 30 days post-surgery.  The reason he did not allow me to take it for that 60 day window was because he worried it could cause bleeding or blood clots.

If you have a lot of pain there are things you can be given.  I came home with narcotic pain reliever and while I used several of the pills I have about half left over to be disposed of. 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 177 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 451 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 475 views