Citrus/Pineapple

denisedufrene
on 4/24/13 2:33 am, edited 4/24/13 2:34 am - Oak Hills, CA
VSG on 04/04/13
When can we or can we ever have citrus and pineapple......
sunny_disposition
on 4/24/13 2:42 am - Miami, FL
VSG on 01/28/13

It's definitely not off limits forever.  I eat citrus on occasion, with no issue, and am 3 months out. 

mimij
on 4/24/13 2:44 am - McDonough, GA
VSG on 10/03/12

I have eaten pineapple, orange, clementine occassionally without a problem since I was 3 months postop.

MIMI  Highest weight 215  SW 203  GW 125   M1 -22  M2 -12  M3 -11  M4 -7  M5 -10  M6 -5  M7 -6  M8 -5  M9 -4  M10 -3  In maintenance since June 2013  HT- 5'2"  

jen_vsg_4me
on 4/24/13 3:59 am - Iaeger, WV
VSG on 01/23/13

I'm 3 months out and I have used pineapple in my protein shakes at times, and I eat yogurt with pineapple in it too.  I've also had orange juice, and it was very refreshing but not worth the carbs for me.  

My youtube channel is http://www.youtube.com/user/ShrinkingJenn

Surgery Date: January 23, 2013

Keith L.
on 4/24/13 4:14 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

You just need to figure out where it fits in. I cook with lemon and lime juice now because they are not that high in sugar. But oranges and pineapples are really high in sugar, so I would not recommend any significant amount of either until you are in maintenance. That being said, all fruits (and vegetables for that matter) have enzymes that are very healthy for us and eating raw fruits and veggies is a good idea. Just look for fruits that are lower glycemic impact like strawberries and canteloupe.

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

Kelly-AnneH
on 4/24/13 4:32 am - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
I was allowed both after my first month. I eat a wee clementine a couple of times a week or an occasional cut up orange as a snack. I like pineapple, but since I can only eat a couple of pieces the only time I have it is if I buy a packaged fruit salad - maybe once a month.

Fruit is a worthwhile source of fibre and vitamins, but really needs to be kept for after your protein needs have been met. At that point, if you have the calories available - enjoy.

Highest 303.4, Surgery 263, Current 217.8, Goal 180

rhearob
on 4/24/13 5:28 am - TN

Fruits high in sugars should be avoided until in maintenance.  The reason is that you don't want to ingest significant amounts of simple sugars that your body will use for fuel instead of the fuel (FAT) you are trying to burn.  You want to keep your ketosis going full steam.

A Strawberry her or a grape there is not going to kill you, as long as you log it and know what you are doing.  You don't want to make whole meal of them or make a habit out of snacking on them.  Fruits too easily can become grazing foods for lots of people - especially grapes, raisins, etc.  High fructose fruits also act as triggers for many of us - the sweetness makes us want more sweetness.

Even now, after almost a year in maintenance I do not have a lot of raw fruits.  I cook with fruits and season my food with a lot of lemon and lime.  Those are fruit juices that fit easily into my diet and don't cause significant carb cravings for me.

VSG: 11/2/2011; LBL+Thigh Lift+BL: 10/3/2012; Brach+Mastopexy:  7/22/2013

Pattoncy
on 4/24/13 8:28 am
I ate a ton of pineapple after 8 weeks out. It slipped through without a problem and didnt affect my weight loss. I'm 11 weeks out and down 50 pounds.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 131 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 389 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 421 views